Selma Blair On Breastfeeding: “I Don’t Care Who I Offend”

Selma Blair On Breastfeeding: "I Don't Care Who I Offend"

Being out and about when Arthur is hungry isn’t about to stop Selma Blair from feeding him.

“The only time he cries is if he’s hungry,” the 39-year-old Anger Management actress tells PEOPLE. “We all have nipples. I don’t care who I offend; my baby wants to eat. If I can’t get a cover over me quick enough, so be it.”

Her devoted attention to Arthur’s nutrition is what led Selma to partner with the non-profit organization called get REAL for kids which is aimed at educating parents about food choices when it comes to feeding themselves and their children.

“Get REAL for kid is started by my very best childhood friend, Dr. Sue, so it made sense to get involved,” she says.

Nourishing myself correctly is very new to me, so I’m learning as well. It was important for me to be a real mom who loves her kid and needs to have more energy for herself and is trying to learn how to do this.”

Just like any first-time mom, Selma admits she’s “really obsessed” with her 8-month-old boy and considers herself lucky that she was able to spend most of his infancy at home with him.

“I never want to leave his side,” she says. “I’m one of those hovering mothers and I know it’s really important to have an independent child, so I’m trying to back off, but it’s hard. I love him so much, and he’s so funny and cute to me.”

According to his doting mama, Arthur has a very “sweet” and “outgoing” personality.

“He loves music, he loves to bang on the drums,” she shares. “He [also] doesn’t mind being teased, he’s an adrenaline junkie. He likes to be thrown up in the air.”

Filed under: Selma Blair

Photo credit: Melissa Hutchinson/Splash News

Gorgeous.

2. Eva

Good for her for putting her child first! I fed mine in restaurants, the park, even at my cousin’s wedding. No one ever objected, but I would not have cared. You never regret time spent with your baby, because it doesn’t last long!

3. Grace

That’s the problem with modern parents, they don’t care who they or their children offend. It’s a selfish way to live and a selfish way to raise your children. And the worst part of all is that they’re trying to pass it off as if they’re doing it for the benefit of the child when they’re really doing it to make their own lives easier. It’s always possible to top a baby off before an event, to wait 20 minutes before going somewhere to feed the baby at home rather than in public, or to discreetly leave the location you’re at to feed a baby. I managed it. Lots of moms manage it. But I guess some people have decided that since they had a child the world should alter to accomodate them so they can have complete ease at all times. Well parenting isn’t supposed to be easy or convenient, and other people shouldn’t have to pay the price for parental laziness.

Have you ever tried just “waiting 20 minutes” to feed a hungry screaming baby? Insanity. Here’s a newsflash, that’s what breasts are FOR. Doesn’t hurt any one. There shouldn’t be an issue.

• Janna

I think you’ve got that backwards, Grace. It’s you who’s expecting the world to alter accomodate you. Breastfeeding has been a natural part of life since the beginning of time, and it’s about time that people/women started standing up to the nonsense propogated by the prim and proper who see something wrong with it.

(I especially love how you equate breastfeeding on demand with being a “lazy parent”. That’s pretty funny actually.)

If it bothers you THAT much, just don’t look. Problem solved. Nursing mom is happy, baby is happy, and you are happy. Easy Peasy.

You are so WRONG! There is nothing “modern” about a woman breastfeeding her child anytime, anywhere. It’s only very recently that people have a problem with it. The “problem” is with people like you, who think that everyone must cater to THEM, in order not to offend their delicate sensibilities. When a mother feeds her hungry infant, it IS for the benefit of the child. What’s SELFISH is a woman who puts the petty preferences of strangers ahead of the needs of her own child.

• Allison

“That’s the problem with modern parents”?? So you’re one of THOSE, are you? Society and modern parenting is NOT going backwards, like you are implying. It’s moving forward. More mothers now-a-days are moving away from the “omg i can’t breastfeed in public, that would be so inappropriate” way of thinking. That’s an amazing step. Women have breasts for a reason…and that reason is not intended to be a sexual one. We don’t have them so that men can stare at them and play with them every chance they get. We have them…wait for it…to feed our babies!! It’s really sad that so many people still sexualize breasts and get all offended when they see a breastfeeding mother out in public. “How dare that woman use her breasts to feed her child while walking down the street! The nerve!” C’mon people! Her child is hungry! Get over it! Most women are very discreet about it too. They use a blanket or something to shield themselves, so it’s not like you can see EVERYTHING. It may be obvious what they’re doing, but let’s be honest, most times you see can more boobage watching modern daytime television. And here’s a fun fact that some people may not be aware of: If you don’t want to see a baby eating from it’s mother’s breast, you CAN look away. It’s very do-able, I promise. Just don’t look at it :)

The problem with modern parents is actually the complete opposite. Most mothers are shamed out of breastfeeding their children in public – which is ridiculous. Waiting 20 minutes to feed a screaming child because you are in public and cannot go somewhere ‘discreet’ is crazy.
      To add on to that, I’d much rather see a stranger’s breast then hear a baby scream at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes.

Where does “laziness” come into it? Providing nourishment to your child is lazy? Selfish??? A mother who feeds on demand is putting her child first….how is that selfish?

News flash! Grace, she doesn’t give a sh!t if it offends you. I guarantee that you see more cleavage and boobage from young skanky dressed girls (and on a daily basis) than you ever see on a breast feeding mother. Seriously, how many times have you actually witnessed a mom breast feed in public? Compare that number.

• Deelze

Grace what year were you born??? I mean as a mother yourself it really boggles the mind that you can be this up-tight about something that is so natural. I don’t see why so many people are offended about a woman breast feeding her child in public! There are sooo many more offensive things in the world that goes on right in front of us on a daily basis and do not generate this much animosity… go figure! Well I for one am glad that you were a different kind of parent and not prone to “laziness!”

Grace, who are you trying to fool? It is quite obvious that you did not breastfeed, but are just trying to make yourself sound like you did and you know what you are talking about. If you really did nurse then why would you be offended? A nursing mother is feeding her child. Personally, I am offended watching moms give young babies bottles of formula!!!!

• NiP- it is normal

Grace, if you don’t like it put a blanket over your head or go eat in the bathroom.

• Oriana

I think that if people are offendend when I breastfeed my one and a half year old girl in public, they should just look away. Breastfeeding is an act of love, of nurturing, there shouldn’t be shame in an act of love. We will continue to promote breastfeeding (everywhere) and very soon there will be more people that think like Selma Blair and less people that think like you. Thank God!

• Passion driven mama

Wow grace…you’re the modern parent you speak of…you’ve just offended all the PROUD public breastfeeding mothers…a selfish way to live…how lazy of you! Think about spewing your hate next time….god bless all the selma’s of the world! You rock!

4. spela

I breastfed mine during our dinners in a hotel with hundreds of people present, while staying in Turkey (which is a muslim country). Nobody has ever made a negative comment about it or asked me to stop, nor has something like breastfeeding in public being a moral issue ever crossed my mind.

5. mnrgarcia

What we have here is a difference of opinion on the normalcy of breastfeeding, Grace. There is a difference between not allowing yourself to be pulled around by a random person being offended by moral activity and going out of one’s way to dare people not to be offended. We should do our best to not be obnoxious about our behavior and speech but we also must take responsibility for our own sensitivities. It’s one thing to be offended at someone degrading others, hurting another, committing a crime, or some other illegal, immoral, or unethical thing. It’s another thing to get all wound up about something good, loving, and normal. There is give and take needed here. Just because she said she doesn’t care who gets offended doesn’t mean she goes out of her way to create an uncomfortable confrontation.

I think it’s so interesting how we hear all the day long about bottle feeding mom’s “being made to feel bad” simply by others encouraging breastfeeding; yet, somehow we feel it’s totally fine to tell women they are discussing, dirty creatures who need to be hidden.

And, why must we assume that a woman breastfeeding in public has taken her shirt off so her breast are hanging out and her baby is latched on 100 percent of the time?

While I agree there are a lot of rude and outrageous people who not only have forgotten proper manners but neglect to teach there children, there are just as many her are guilty of hypersensitivity and a need to be offended by everything that wanders passed their field of vision.

Well I think we can all agree who the REAL offenders are, those jerk parents who DON’T feed their kids at all! Bastards.

7. Krista

Awe her little man is ADORABLE!!!

Seriously shocked by your comment Grace! Feeding your baby the best substance there is that is specifically made for your child is way more important than worrying about someone feeling uncomfortable with something natural and beautiful. She is just standing up for her rights as a mother and I stand behind that!

Gross! That’s what bottles are for.

10. Pau

Personally, when i see a mother feeding a child in public i get a bit uncomfortable, but you know what i do? Just look away. Simple as that. I’m not a mother, so now i say this but i could change my mind later, but i don’t know if i’d be comfortable feeding my baby in public, simply because i think it’s a private moment between a mother and her child (or a family moment with dad and/or siblings). I’m not saying i’d let the poor baby starve, i’d just try to find a more private place to do it… but like i said before, i’m not a mother, and i just say this because it’s what i’ve seen the women in my family do, even “modern” mothers.

11. Cassie

I’m not a mother but I am an aunt of 4. I’ve seen my sister breastfeeding in public several times and she always hide her breast with a cloth. According to her she hides her breast because she isn’t an exhibitionist and she doesn’t want to disrespect anyone. Every single time my sister breastfeed in public people just ignored it and some didn’t even acknowledge.
    I half agree agree with the person who said “I’d much rather see a stranger’s breast then hear a baby scream at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes”. But I’m against showing off your boobs anywhere just because you couldn’t think of bringing a cloth with you.
    I’m in another country so I guess my opinion isn’t relevant. But tolerance to this kind of thing should improve, it is so natural and normal.

“You’re against showing off your boobs anywhere….”

Sweetheart, you’re an idiot. I guarantee you have never in your life seen a nursing mother trying to show off her boobs.

Personally, I find the sight of a mother nursing her child beautiful and touching.

13. Lisa :-)

I have always liked Selma Blair…now I love her!!! :-)

14. erica

Couldn’t agree more with Selma, good for her! I hate this whole idea that breastfeeding is somehow wrong in public – so someone might get a glimpse of something often seen in lowcut tops? Ridiculous. Also, what a cute baby!

15. NiP- it is normal

Grace, if breast feeding in public makes you uncomfortable, put a blanket over your head or eat in the bathroom.