Mayim Bialik Defends Alicia Silverstone, January Jones: “These Women Are Not Gross!”

Mayim Bialik Defends Alicia Silverstone, January Jones: "These Women Are Not Gross!"

There’s been no shortage of headlines in celebrity baby news! From Mayim Bialik‘s views on attachment parenting, to Alicia Silverstone feeding her baby mouth-to-mouth, to January Jones ingesting placenta tablets, we cover it all on Celebrity Baby Scoop!

But when Chicago Sun Times slammed these three celebrity moms on Wednesday, labeling them as “Gross Moms,” Mayim fired back with a thoughtful piece for kveller.

After clarifying that she is not personally acquainted with either Alicia or January, The Big Bang Theory actress went on to defend these high-profile moms and their parenting choices.

“These women are not gross!,” Mayim writes.

She continues: “Everyone has a line which, when crossed, makes them perk up their ears. For you, it may be me breastfeeding my 3-year-old. For someone else, it may be me breastfeeding at all (I know people like this),” she writes. “For you, me holding my newborn over a potty may be the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever heard of. For me, diapers for 4-year-olds sounds pretty outside of my comfort zone, as does not wanting to be close to your baby as much as possible. The point is, we all have an idea of what we want to do or what we think is “normal.” It benefits no one for us to turn someone’s choices or even eccentricity into a case for ridicule or judgment.”

To continue reading Mayim’s reaction to being labeled a “gross mom,” go to kveller

Filed under: Alicia Silverstone,January Jones,Mayim Bialik

Photo credit: Mayim Bialik/The Kind Life/Pacific Coast News

I agree with her. :) Its horrible that a majority of the public, sadly mostly mothers, chose to gang up and bully these two moms because they have different parenting choices.

2. Eva

Thanks for sensible comments, Mayim. These choices are theirs alone – if people don’t approve, who really cares? Certainly not these ladies.

i agree, to each his own, it’s their right. but really chewing and spitting into your 10 month olds mouth??? ew. My twins were eating a full course meal at 10 months and chewing on their own, i’d think that might stall his development if mommy chews all his food.

She isn’t chewing all his food. It’s just something that happened over the course of time & overall why does she need to stop? It’s their norm. Not for everyone but perfect for them.

I have no problems with the others, but this is completely un-hygenic. There are so many different bacterias in a humans mouth that can make him sick. She is actually not doing him any favors by chewing the food and feeding him like a bird. There are many Drs that have said you should NEVER do this and frankly I agree.

• youni

And there are many other Drs that not recomend to protect your children against everything that have vacterias, because the body’s defenses are generated much better in childhood, and as infants, not coming into contact with vacterias, can cause allergie problems

4. Abby

“Let’s reserve judgment for people who beat their children, sell their daughters into prostitution, or deny women the right to make decisions about their bodies and their lives,” I agree with this 100%. Honestly yes they are putting themselves out there and will most likely be judged, but what they’re are doing isn’t hurtful. We don’t all parent the same. I do think Alicia Silverstone chewing food and spitting it directly into her son’s mouth is a little gross, but I don’t think she’s hurting him or she’s a bad mom.

5. Marfle

Not gonna deny it’s their business, geez, i didn’t think anyone was trying to tell them what to do with their kids. And Mayim asking people to give them a break just because they don’t abuse or murder their kids in plain ridiculous. Hey I’m no Hitler or Osama Bin Laden, so i guess i should be excused and not being criticized for everything else i do, right?

They made PUBLIC comments about TMI stuff, so it’s OBVIOUS they’ll take a heat. People have different opinions. Someone ring Mayim and ask her to come down from the galaxy she lives in cause i guess it’s not this one.

To me it’s plain gross to chew food and somehow “spit it” or however you wanna phrase that, straight from your mouth to your child’s. And i won’t change my opinion. Is it her business? OF COURSE! But that doesn’t mean i can’t say it’s gross to me!

6. AJ

You know, breastfeeding until 3, ingesting placenta, or feeding my child mouth to mouth are not decisions I see myself ever making, but I completely applaud Mayim for a thoughtful, though-provoking, and mature piece and she is absolutely right. Good for her!

7. Devyn

The Alicia Silverstone case is odd because food breaks down and looses nutrients as its chewed. The human mouth is the most germ filled part of our bodies. Most of these women think of their children as property and subject them to things that are more about what they need than what the child needs. I’ll take the hits for this because no child needs to be breast fed at the age of three.

It’s obvious you didn’t click on the source and read her whole statement.

• Colleen

I may never have fed my kids from my mouth but there are many times when water wasn’t around and my kids only wanted their pacifier and after it dropped on the floor I used my mouth to clean off the nipple. It is the same thing.

Please take the time to educate yourself. A 3 year old who is breastfeeding is fulfilling a need, as is the mother for her child.

Talk about needing to be educated, you just proved the point you were trying to counter. I won’t bother explaining because you wouldn’t get it.

8. Arabella

a while back there was a mother who still breast feed her six year old son.

9. Shelli

I worked in a daycare several years ago that had a very large 3 yr.old in their toddler program who was allowed to dress however he wanted, the Mom came in at nap time and nursed him, and she tried to instruct the instructors on how to not have any gender identifying toys or anything labled for boys or girls. When her child was finally able to move up to the pre school room at 4 yrs old she had stopped coming in at nap time to nurse him, but started sending him a thermos filled with breast milk and…Nestles Strawberry Quick in it!! Most of the stuff didn’t bother me one way or another, but for some reason the strawberry breast milk was a little gross. Maybe it was just me…don’t know.

10. Shelli

• Sol

Would you be skeeved out if it was cow’s milk with strawberry mix? Cause to me? That is a heck of a lot more gross than the child’s own mother’s milk.

Uhm… Sorry but the Alicia Silverstone mock regurgitation is still gross to me. Jmo and it is fine if someone disagrees.

I admit, I find it a tad bit gross that she chews up food for her son. I wouldn’t want someone else’s saliva covered food put into my mouth. As someone said above, the human mouth is a petry dish. Why would you expose your child to it? It also seems counterproductive to chew food for a child old enough to be learning how to chew his own food.

Of course, they’re free to do whatever they wish. At least these three celebrities don’t think women should be put in jail for choosing to raise their children in a different manner than they would choose (yeah, I’m looking at you Giselle).

There is a type of eating disorder where people chew food then spit it out to avoid the calories. Maybe Alicia is chewing her son’s food so she doesn’t feel guilty about eating so much.

I like Mayim, generally, but dentists warn from pre-chewing the food for your child as it is not good for his or her teeth – caries bacteria are transmitted this way.

15. SMH

The january jones thing doesn’t bother me. I could careless what type of “vitamin” supplements she takes but the Alicia Silverstone thing was def gross and if she didn’t want a reaction to what she was doing she wouldn’t have put it out for the world to see it!
    This has nothing to do with what bad parents do to their kids. None of these mothers are bad mothers for doing what they feel is best for their child. But if they think that other people wont’ find it gross or inappropriate that’s on them. Don’t share your business if you not willing to be judged.

16. SMH

17. AnnMarie

Wealthy, crunchy mothers are squeezing as much attention and self-adulation out of the childbearing & rearing experience. This intensely mammalian function, in existence for millions of years, didn’t become a transcendental experience until rich, mostly white, affluent women who’ve been centers of attention until giving birth discovered it. Now, they must continue doing whatever is necessary to feel as special and accomplished as possible. That includes breastfeeding pre-schoolers, ingesting after-birth tissue, and chewing food for a 10-month old who can perfectly chew his own food. Carry on, then, carry on.

No one has the right to tell me what I think is gross or not. Eating your placenta after it is boiled and blended and stuffed into capsuls is gross to me..chewing food into your mouth for more than a few seconds and them spitting it into your little baby’s mouth is gross. Breast feeding a 3 year old is ridiculous.

I am not bullying anyone. I think it is gross. I am not going to say you deserve to have your kids taken away or that you are a bad mom..just that it is gross to me.

• anonymou

From what I gathered from her post I don’t think she’s saying you aren’t allowed to think its gross (though I would love to know why a 3 year old doing what is humanly a normal thing to do is gross to you) but that some people have been saying extreme things like Alicia Silverstone should have CPS called on her and so forth.

19. Annika

Honestly, i think she is trying her best to come off as being neutral about other peoples parenting choices and respecting them and reserving judgement, but really, she is just using this as a way to defend herself! She herself is judging others in her statement (about 4 year olds in diapers and people who choose not to attachment parent). The reality is that what these women did/do is not the cultural norm, and therefore will be perceived as weird or gross. They MUST have know that when THEY said/posted videos of it, so what did they expect. They are both grown women who have chosen a particular lifestyle for themselves, which is fine…they didn’t need Mayim to come rescue them from the negative comments. The whole reason that she feels the need to defend is because as she said, people attacked her book and probably because these women appear to share similar parenting styles.

Actually, there are millions of adults who can look at others parenting styles without taking to the internet to declare them “gross”. These aren’t choices I would make, but to each his own.

I find it much grosser the number of women who will raise their children in pedophile religions, or one which subjugates women or treats them as second class citizens. But, hey, that’s just me. Dehumanize your daughters all you want, this is a free country.

sorry no it is gross, whats wrong with doing it private> men and women have been pooping forever and thats natural should we just go on the streets now? chewing food and putting in your kids mouth is GROSS…

21. Jessicad

I think it’s great Mayim is defending them, women should support each other more instead of being so negative and tearing down those who parent differently, what works for one family may not for another, and that’s ok! I work in the medical field and I’ve seen some disgusting things done to children, what these women do is not disgusting in my opinion. I saw all the negative comments on this site and another one and I decided not to get involved in the drama, I get too worked up when women bash each other, makes me sad!

22. jacquie109

The next time you think about the mouth being the most germ infested place in the body should be when you are kissing your significant other. Seriously people, I don’t know about the general population but when I kiss, there is saliva transmission. When I use my own teeth to make bite sized peices of food for my baby, it is perfectly normal. These women are doing nothing wrong or gross, they are making decision on how to care for themselves and their babies and sharing it so that someone else might learn something, agree, and do that for their own child and also so that other moms won’t be embarrased by making the same choices.

Please the nutritional integrity of the food is compromised by her chewing it. There’s Abigail difference between biting something and chewing it. Maybe you and Alicia should think about your germ filled mouths before exposing your children to whatever you might have. Putting spit in a child’s mouth cannot be healthy. Plus, she’s a vegetarian, how difficult can it be to mash vegetables allowing them to maintain all the nutrients the child needs. It is very GROSS and their is no nutritional benefit to her chewing it first.

I agreed with Mayim until she actually had the gall to say that it’s bad parenting to care what your daughter does with her body. Actually, that’s GOOD parenting. We should help guide our daughters about healthy food choices, the dangers of sexual promiscuity and the risks associated with abortion – all these relate to caring for the body. Further, being concerned about our future grandchildren being aborted is the sign of a good grandparent as well.

I agreed with Mayim until she actually had the gall to say that it’s bad parenting to care what your daughter does with her body. Actually, that’s GOOD parenting. We should help guide our daughters about healthy food choices, the dangers of sexual promiscuity and the risks associated with abor tion – all these relate to caring for the body. Further, being concerned about our future grandchildren being aborted is the sign of a good grandparent as well.

“Let’s reserve judgment for people who beat their children, sell their daughters into prostitution, or deny women the right to make decisions about their bodies and their lives,” the actress adds.

Right.

So killing the baby before it’s born is her “decision” and don’t dare say a thing about it. Prostitiution is either “abusive” or her “choice” depending on what day you speak to her, or which topic she’s actually discussing, since there’s no logical consistency to any of these arguments.

-And oh, obviously spitting in the baby’s mouth is just ducky. If you think it is. Or if I do. But don’t tell me what to do. You’re not better than me. My friends all say it’s okay. I have no independent thoughts.