Alicia Silverstone Defends Pre-Chewing Son’s Food: ‘It’s A Weaning Process, It’s Adorable’

Alicia Silverstone Defends Pre-Chewing Son's Food: 'It's A Weaning Process, It's Adorable'

Clueless star Alicia Silverstone recently took a lot of criticism after feeding her 11-month-old son Bear Blu mouth-to-mouth. But the new mom, 35, says it’s ”adorable” when she chews her son’s food for him.

The eco-friendly actress revealed her unorthodox method for feeding her son – which involves chewing food then spitting it into the tot’s mouth – and says she can’t believe the uproar because it is a natural way to feed babies.

“People have been feeding their kids that way for thousands for years,” Alicia said. “It’s a weaning process. Honestly, when I posted the video I was not thinking, so maybe I was like Cher [her character in Clueless]! I think it’s adorable and it makes me laugh every time he does it.

He attacks my mouth and I think it’s adorable,” she added. “He also knows how to use his hands and he also eats regular food so when babies are weaning, he still breastfeeds. Some people think that’s disgusting too which is insane.”

In speaking at an audience Q&A with director Amy Heckerling following a screening of Clueless and her upcoming film Vamps, Alicia insisted she and husband Christopher Jarecki weren’t forcing their beliefs when she posted the video, but it’s a routine they feel comfortable with.

It’s just a thing that has been going on for thousands of years and I didn’t think I was inventing anything but in our culture…,” she said. ”Every time my husband goes to the YMCA some guy comes over and says, ‘That’s how we do it in the south!’ Between him getting those great comments and me knowing in my gut it’s natural and lovely, I really wasn’t trying to tell anybody what to do.’

Want to read more? Shortly after Alicia posted her controversial video, The Big Bang Theory star Mayim Bialik defended Alicia, as well as fellow celebrity mom January Jones who ingesting placenta tablets. Click here to read more….

Filed under: Alicia Silverstone

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Alli

oh my god, she fed her son food from her mouth she didn’t take him on a shooting rampage across the country.

‘Adorable’ was not the first word that came to mind….

3. Krissy

She posted it knowing she would be talked about. After all, what else does she have going for her. I feel bad for these celebrities that need attention.

• Abby

I agree with you. Alicia Silverstone barely acts anymore and her biggest claim to fame is being a crunchy mother and vegetarian. She is loving the attention.

• Abby

exactly….you dont share something like this unless you want attention. just like has-been stars that anounce they used to have sex with their dad……..it’s sad that she’s that desparate. there is NO need to do that to your child when you have plenty of money for a blender and a toddler spoon.

Poor kid is going to grow up and get teased by this for sure. Maybe she should have thought of that before talking about it in public.

its her kid
    it impedes his developmental progress as a Human
    she is NOT a mama Bird to be feeding him this way

Hey …. CLUELESS!!! … ‘It’s A Weaning Process, It’s Adorable”?? It’s DISGUSTING !!! Is this woman for real??? Can you imagine all the germs this grown woman is passing on to this child !!!

I agree…adorable, people need to chill out. he’s just a baby and he’s learning about food and bonding. Why does everyone feel the need to attack others on their actions that are purely based on love?

• I ME MINE

A lot of people do horrible things to their children and claim they do it out of love. They and Alicia should be attacked. She says it’s out of love, but she is hindering her child’s development and endangering his health and she labels it ‘adorable’. She’s ignorant.

8. Marfle

Fine, we get it, you like it. Be done with it and quit milking it.

9. Sujinah

She does look like someone that just wants attention. She knows that she would get criticize for this. I mean how often do you see a mother feeding their child mouth to mouth? Besides birds and other animals.

I mean do what you want, but gosh, don’t be an attention-whore.

I love all this talk of her being an attention whore from the very people giving her the attention…

She feeds her baby from her mouth. You think it’s gross. Now, move on.

• Tired of dummies!

Listen u little idiot…people are entitled to share their opinions, that’s the whole point of this comments section!… If u wanna move on, go right ahead and leave the rest of us share our negative/positive opinions and thoughts about the article, will ya?

11. Anonymous9

Birds feed mouth to mouth because they do not have thumbs. Humans have thumbs; humans do not feed mouth to mouth.

Not very complicated other than she’s a bit of an attention whore.

Sad that she has to be doing gross things like that to feel close to her son. It isn’t natural, your mouth is for feeding yourself, not your kid. He is young but she can’t teach him to rely on her for everything even chewing his food…either he’s going to grow up very dependent and a mama’s boy or really embarrassed that he did this and everyone knows

My mom is from Liberia and when we were babies she would chew the food and feed us, not straight from her mouth but with her finger, my sister does the same thing with my nephews and I have do it with my nephews and niece. if I am eating something and they crawl over to me, I ask my sister first and she like go ahead you know he loves to eat. Never though twice about it being gross. I mean in some country there are no blender or jars of baby food and that what the people do.

14. give it a rest

it’s not gross… people in other country do it all the time. Not everyone can go to a store and buy jars of baby food or have the electricity to use a blender. My mom is from another country and she did that with me and my sibling and my sisters, brother and i we all do it with our kids… not the mouth to mouth thing but still. Just because you dont do it, doesnt make it gross!!!! as the kids in my class would say “Don’t yuk other people yum”

15. give it a rest

16. Denise

Not healthy chewing your food and then spitting it into your child’s mouth to finish eating it.Please rethink how to feed your child. Show him how to use a fork and spoon. Not eat like an animal. Shame on her.

She grosses me out…

18. SMH

I only thought it was disgusting bc I am somewhat of a germaphobe. I will not bite off anything that’s been touched by anyone else and refuse to share beverages esp. with children. Do you know how dirty and disgusting kids are?! They’ll put anything in their mouths so if anything I’m not sharing spit with my child simply to protect my own health lol!
    How she feeds her kid though is her business. I wouldn’t do it. ANd I never met anyone who does it. But whtever floats your boat! And I dn’t think she was imposing her views but if she thought it wouldn’t get a reaction well then she really is Clueless!

There are far worse things in this world than to pick on this. Second this is a maternal instinct that I think is natural. There is something very wrong with society if they are going to question this act. This is a choice and to be judged negativily for this, you all need to get a life.

Part of a child’s development is using his hands/fingers, developing a “pincer grasp,” self feeding, chewing, stimulating the mouth with differant textures, manuevering the tonge in the mouth…etc. What she is doing is ridiculous (OK, she isn’t beating him, but still..)—she lives at a time when there are blenders/food processors/jarred organic baby food. There is no need for this bullshit. Heck, she could do whatever she wants–she is making a laughing stock out of herslf.

you just made a laughing stock out of yourself “pincer grasp” ….check your head fool – open your mind and quit being scared of anything you don’t deem normal.

• I ME MINE

Check YOUR head fool. Pincer grasp is a term for a very important developmental milestone in children. The OP didn’t make it up. This isn’t about a differing opinion, it’s about a dumb woman who is hindering her child’s development and calling it adorable.

I find feeding babies powdered formula and prepackaged food much more disgusting then a mother feeding her baby from her mouth tbh.

And the inside of blenders, bowls and spoons all contain germs too.

There is nothing adorable about it. It is absolutely disgusting! She really should have thought of him before she posted the video. The poor kid is gonna get teased.

23. Rachel

True, it is a natural way to feed babies, when you’re a BIRD!

24. devyn

She’s an actress most of them are bat —- Crazy. They want to be super moms and most are just pathetic fame whores using motherhood to keep people interested in them. Please tell me from a nutritional point how this benefits here child? Enzymes in the mouth start breaking down the food and most of the nutrients will go to the idiot Alicia. She’s a vegetarian, so how difficult is it to mash vegetables with a fork or even washed finger? Honestly, I think some of them just sit around thinking of ways to garner attention for ridiculous, stupid, and potentially harmful acts.

beats pureed food from a can, made god knows where and containing god knows what.

26. May

Actually I’ve seen many people pre-chew their kids’ food. I thought it was so weird when people started bashing.