Mariah Carey: How I Lost 70 Lbs. Post-Twins

Sexy mama Mariah Carey, 42, flaunts her toned tummy on the cover of Shape‘s May issue, on newsstands April 23. The mom of 11-month-old twins Moroccan and Monroe opens up about her pregnancy, husband Nick Cannon, and her 70-pound post-babies weight loss.

On her pregnancy: “Pregnancy was probably the best and the hardest thing I’ll ever go through. I know for a lot of women, it can be wonderful and relatively easy. But for me, it was like ‘Okay, honey, do you have to do everything the hard way?' " She went on to talk about her pregnancy weight gain. "Everyone said I was fat, so I did something about it. I put on around 70 lbs., but if you look at photos of me when I was pregnant, you'd say, 'Wow, she gained 9,000 pounds!' A lot of it was water weight because I pretty much had head-to-toe edema, which is very painful."

On her pregnancy: “Pregnancy was probably the best and the hardest thing I’ll ever go through. I know for a lot of women, it can be wonderful and relatively easy. But for me, it was like ‘Okay, honey, do you have to do everything the hard way?’ ” She went on to talk about her pregnancy weight gain. “Everyone said I was fat, so I did something about it. I put on around 70 lbs., but if you look at photos of me when I was pregnant, you’d say, ‘Wow, she gained 9,000 pounds!’ A lot of it was water weight because I pretty much had head-to-toe edema, which is very painful.”

On losing weight with Jenny Craig’s eating plan: “I used to be able to slim down just by exercising more, but that’s changed. Since having the babies, I realize that 90 percent of losing weight is my diet.”

On her exercise regime: “Today my workout routine is more about getting and staying toned. And for me, that means either taking hour-long walks a few times a week or jumping in the pool three or four days a week to do 45 minutes of aquatic exercises.”

On Nick’s recent health scares: “It was really frightening, but he’s feeling much stronger and is definitely on the right track,” she shares. “He’s taking better care of himself, eating a diet low in sodium and sugar, and getting more sleep.”

Filed under: Mariah Carey

Photo credit: Shape

1. Anne

plastic surgery

she looks great… but that’s def a tummy tuck belly button

3. Anony 123

Ya she look good now but I’ve seen candids photos of Maraiah and she dosen’t look that small this is the work of photoshop and yes she has that tummy tuck.

So what Mariah really saying is that it’s.

10% Eating right

20% working out

70% tummy tuck

plastic surgery, liposuction, tummy tuck, lighting, camera angle and lots and lots of photoshop-not to mention hair extensions-they had to alter her face so much it doesn’t even look like her and she STILL looks thick through the middle and has big flabby legs-give it a rest MeMe and for the one millionth time-PUT YOUR CLOTHS BACK ON!!no one wants to see you naked-and as a 43 year old wife and mother of 2-have some class and dignity-I thought it was MeMe’s voice that was her claim to fame?-well it is pretty obvious now that she is really just an overrated aging stripper pathetically grasping at a sex symbol image she can’t pull off-if your a singer MeMe wear some cloths and just sing-but we all know that isn’t going to fly because she has been lip syncing for years now and basically screeches and is re dubbed and remixed and synthesized to sound better-it all sounds like crap to me anyway because all pop chart trash is over produced in the same way-it has everything to do with money and nothing to do with good music and gold digging MeMe is Queen of that world fo sure-but she is too old now and her Beaver Boy fiasco just made her look like a gross old pedophile-obviously not smart enough to know when to move on and realize that nothing she has ever done can’t be redone by whatever new flesh puppet comes along-she hangs on to the past and makes her self look more sad and pathetic with each passing day-and we are all tired of hearing her whine about her pregnancy

you guys are obviously jealous!!!!!! get a life be happy for other women who are able to loose the weight after having a baby. It’s a pity women hate on other women!

No one jealous fact is she had medical help AKA tummy tuck as well as a trainer to help her look the way she dose. She wouldn’t be called out if she and Weight Watchers weren’t lying calming that she did it all on the program so that they can make money off people believing what they say.

Now don’t get me wrong I don’t believe that their anything wrong with getting a tummy tuck just don’t lie about it and clam other wise nor do I believe that Weight Watchers dosen’t work becuase it dose with the help of exercising but don’t try to sell that you will get Mariah Carery results on the program alone.

6. Anon

Anyone can look fab on the cover of of a magazine. It’s called AIRBRUSH and Mariah is SO airbrushed she even lost her ample bosom. Anyone who has seen her lately..she is still bosom-y and flabby! Bet she’ll frame that photo though! LOL!

7. Toni Parker PhD SexandParenthood.com

I am sure some of you are concerned because she may have used photoshop, or had a tummy tuck or possibly did something to enhance her image. I don’t know what she did. Remember she is always in the limelight and how she chooses to expose herself is very different from a person who is not in her shoes. I am glad that she understands the importance of diet, working out, etc. When she said her husband is taking care of himself, that is good as well. She mentioned it was frightening, I would like to know what she means by that and share with us all on a deeper level so that others have a chance to really know some of the challenges that she might be dealing with. That way, she seems more real and someone that most women can hopefully relate to.

8. Toni Parker PhD SexandParenthood.com

Yes, she looks great. Wouldn’t we all like to look like that. I just hope that she takes care of herself and her husband.. and that as a couple they are not only able to take care of themselves and eat well, work out, etc. but also as a couple be able to share their challenges together. Being able to share together what her husband is going through, gives them both the opportunity to stay close and connected to one another, and that is the most important thing in their relationship. Being able to talk about what is really going on with them besides just being on a front cover of a magazine.

9. nicoleC

no,i think she still looks strong!
    can’t go back to 1990’s appearance

10. Krissy

Oh my God…what a bunch of nasty, jealous ladies. Who cares if she had a tummy tuck. The results are she looks and feels good. Ladies, time to get your butts exercising or another job so you can have a tummy tuck also. stop hating on other ladies who have improved themselves. Such hate!!!!!

Maybe you need to take you own advice and start exercising or get tummy tuck.Lol

Your argument is not only week but sad.

Your argument is not only week but sad.

No one cares IF she had a tummy tuck (which she clearly did), they care that she’s not honest. I just don’t know who these people think they’re fooling.

Do you know what the odds are that someone would get pregnant with twins, gain 70 pounds, have edema and massive swelling, and then have a stomach that looks like that photo? Zero.

11. Courtney

you people are idiots she didn’t have a tummy tuck she wasn’t allowed to due to complications during pregnancy and after birth. as for the photos being retouched magazines and things like that always are. try having a pregnancy half as complicated as hers and see how you feel afterwards gaining 70lbs for twins isn’t uncommon especially cosidering most of it was water from edema and that disapated within weeks after delivery. give her credit for being honest most celebs aren’t if you can’t say something nice don’t comment

Sorry, Courtney. That woman had a tummy tuck. No one said she had it right after she had the babies, but she definitely has the telltale “tummy tuck belly button”.

Why not just be honest and say “it was hard work losing all the weight, exercise and eating right were essential, and a tummy tuck took care of the extra skin issue?”. Why lie? She’s not fooling anyone.

12. We advocate a more gradual approach to weight loss. “The number one thing new mothers have to have is a certain amount of patience with their body,” she says. “It took nine months to get there. It should take at least that long to get back to their fighting weight.