Beyoncé Addresses Surrogacy Rumors: “It Wasn’t Hurtful, It Was Just Crazy”

From the moment megastar singing sensation Beyoncé took a step out of the spotlight due to pregnancy, she fell victim to a number of rumors, one major one being that she was sporting a fake baby bump because a surrogate was actually carrying her and her rapper hubby Jay-Z's first child together.

“That was crazy,"  the 30-year-old PEOPLE’s 2012 Most Beautiful Woman tells PEOPLE magazine.  “[I thought] ‘Where did they come up with this?’”

From the moment megastar singing sensation Beyoncé took a step out of the spotlight due to pregnancy, she fell victim to a number of rumors, one major one being that she was sporting a fake baby bump because a surrogate was actually carrying her and her rapper hubby Jay-Z‘s first child together.

“That was crazy,” the 30-year-old PEOPLE’s 2012 Most Beautiful Woman tells PEOPLE magazine. “[I thought] ‘Where did they come up with this?’”

Althout Bey claims the rumors did not affect her, it was not the same case for her protective mama Tina Knowles.

“I thought it was very unfair and very cruel that someone would think that someone would be that diabolical to keep up a charade like that for nine months,” she says. ”As a mother it was painful for me to hear the crazy rumors. And I even had people ask me, which was so ridiculous.”

Making reference to a past interview in which it was suggested that Beyoncé had been sporting a fake baby bump, Tina comments, “It was a fabric that folded — does fabric not fold? Oh my gosh, so stupid.”

Fortunately, Bey’s huge fan base offered the R&B superstar plenty of support during her pregnancy with her now 3-month-old daughter Blue Ivy.

“There was so much love and well wishes from all over the world,” Tina says. “It made it easier to deal with the stupid rumors.”

However, the rumors persisted once the couple welcomed baby Blue on January 7th.

Although the new parents were said to have upset the hospital with their high list of security demands, Beyoncé clarifies that the rumor was “so crazy” and “ridiculous.”

Filed under: Beyonce

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

I believe she used a surrogate! Her stomach caved in like seriously that doesn’t happen and secondly she never showed off her baby bump bare and she is known for gaining weight like crazy and when she got preggo she barely gained any weight. Seriously this was a surrogate!

Totally a surrogate. There has been plenty of proof for this. And the more they deny it, the more obvious it is.

3. Janna

People will always have their crazy opinions, conspiracy theories, and need to bash, berate and criticize.

Luckily, she’s probably insulated enough from most of the craziness and stupidity. I hope she can just laugh about it now.

I truly believe that Beyonce gave birth to her daughter, and didn’t use a surrogate. I think she would have been open about using a surrogate even if she did.

It’s hilarious how no one remembers her in her bikini on the beach.. I too think she would be open if they used a surrogate or adopted. With the way the media and people are today, I’m sure we’d know if she never checked into a hospital to have a baby… someone would come forward and say it never happened.

actually, the beach pictures aren’t that convincing. Her belly is practically flat there, if you look well. (If you don’t hold it in)

7. Lizzig

I need a pregnant belly photo as proof. The pic of her in a bikini with a small belly just looks like she is pushing her stomach out after a big meal. I have seen a lot of dated photos showing her belly from large to small to non-existent all within a few weeks of each other.
    Other sites have people sticking up for her saying she hid the pregnancy due to having past miscarriages, why then is she dancing like a woman possessed in her concert when 2-3 months pregnant, lunging, squatting jumping .. etc? Didnt look like she was frightened of miscarrying this child.
    Also she bounced back TOO quickly into shape. People I know that are very active and skinny didnt bounce back that quick. Pink, who is the top of her athletic body didnt get back to normal that quickly? Just saying !!!

• Me2

I agree with you 1000%. Not to mention she had no signs of a baby bump at that concert you mentioned and then a couple of weeks later she has a full on belly.

And who could forget the infamous belly pillow folding in on itself.

You haven’t figured this out by now? This woman DOESN’T CARE if you believe her. You think she gets up at night wondering if anonymous-internet-troll believes her?

You “need a pregnant belly photo”? That’s hilarious, you idiot!

She looks so beautiful in this photo. And how nuts is it to believe that she used a surrogate?! If she did, i’m sure she would’ve admitted it from day one.

9. AnonymousM

The agression with which some people make these statments astounds me. How this little person came to be in the world doesnt really matter as long as they love and look after her now she is here. But for the record I dont believe she used a surrogate.

I think she was pregnant, her face was large.
    But… who cares? :)
    she has a beautiful little girl ^_^

No way she gave birth to that baby.

12. Jodi

I don’t see how she owes anybody anything. I think you would all find it pretty offensive if people wanted to see your stomach for proof of pregnancy. Get a grip people. Just because she is a celebrity does not mean she owes you explanation for anything she does with her life.

• Minka

Of course she doesn’t need to justify herself, no matter if the rumors are true or not. But as a celebrity she could make a difference by being honest about it. Celebrities show us an unrealistic positive image of beauty, wealth and health. It would be helpful to (weaker) people to see that they deal with the same painful issues as other human beings, and that they are not some superhuman.

Are you kidding me? Stop basing your self-worth and self-esteem on a freaking celebrity! Everything they do is different. They are living as different a life from you as you are from a family in the African bush.

If you had massive amounts of money and help, your life would be completely different, too.

• Minka

You’re not reading my words and not thinking about them (which I don’t mind, but please stop yelling) And I’m not speaking about myself, I am thinking of other people and the images they get. And images influence people,

Where do you see that the other Anonymous was yelling?

It is not Beyonce’s job to make a difference. It is not her job to prove anything to anyone. If I were her, I would tell you all to take a flying leap.

Another pic of her in miami of her showing off her bare baby go google it!!!!

To be completely honest, I do not believe she used a surrogate. As far as her “looking pregnant” and comparing her to other celebrity women who’ve had babies…that’s ridiculous. Every woman’s pregnancy is different as well as the body changes that they go through. At 24 and 115lbs, my best friend had her days when she absolutely DID not look pregnant at all…well into her third trimester. And then there were other days that she looked like she was bursting at the seams. And a week after she had her daughter, my friend barely looked like she had a baby at all. So it’s not impossible. I have Beyonce’s DVD of her concert (Live at Roseland), and to me she definitely looked and sounded pregnant. The dress she was wearing was designed to minimize her bump because she hadn’t yet revealed she was pregnant. Towards the end of her pregnancy everything on her blew up (if you viewed the pictures you could tell). Her face was fat, her legs were fat…and she actually did something that most pregnant women don’t do nowadays…she wore maternity clothes that were flattering. She wasn’t walking around weaing sweatpants and old t-shirts. She looked gorgeous pregnant and all the speculation about it is a tad ridiculous.

Beyonce’ has always been a private person so to expect her to do a full out Demi Moore/Jessica Simpson shoot with her belly out is proposterous. I was surprised that she even released photos of Blue, but I was happy she chose to do it the way she wanted to do it. And most importantly, she did it for her fans and not the naysayers.