Jessica Simpson Welcomes Baby No. 1: Maxwell Drew

Congratulations are in order for Jessica Simpson, 31, and Eric Johnson, 32!

Jessica posted a birth announcement on her personal website writing, "Eric and I are elated to announce the birth of our baby girl Maxwell Drew Johnson. We are so grateful for all the love, support and prayers we have received. THis has been the greatest experience of our lives!!!"

Congratulations are in order for Jessica Simpson, 31, and Eric Johnson, 32!

Jessica posted a birth announcement on her personal website writing, “Eric and I are elated to announce the birth of our baby girl Maxwell Drew Johnson. We are so grateful for all the love, support and prayers we have received. THis has been the greatest experience of our lives!!!”

The Fashion Star mentor gave birth to her first child in Los Angeles, Calif. on Tuesday (May 1) morning, Us Weekly reports.

Little Maxwell – who takes her middle name from her maternal grandmother Tina Simpson‘s maiden name Drew – weighed in a 9 lbs. 13 ounces and measured 21 3/4 inches long.

“Mother and baby are doing just fine,” the source says.

Congrats to the happy family!

Filed under: Births,Jessica Simpson

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Ashley

I was not crazy about the name Maxi when we heard that would be the name. But hearing the full first and middle name, I HOPE they call her Maxi for short, because that’s much cuter than the boy name she got saddled with.

I love the name Maxwell. Don’t get me wrong. I just think of Maxwell Sheffield on The Nanny each time I Hear it.

Congrats to Jessica. I’m sure she’s THRILLED the pregnancy is over and that she has her new baby girl in her arms.

2. Hmm

that’s actually a cute name… but I am surprised it didnt say “jessica simpson gives birth to full sized kindergardener!” .. ;-)

well FINALLY!! i’m actually surprised she ended up being a bigger baby. i figured the extra weight was mostly buttered pop-tarts and mac and cheese. congrats!

4. Nancy

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

5. Nancy

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s a big baby!

7. Sara

Perhaps they should have saved that name for when they had a boy. And if they do indeed nickname her Maxi, she is going to get teased like heck being called maxi pad her whole life. Way to go Jessica…smh

Maybe instead of talking about how kids will tease this child, you should teach your own children never to tease other kids for ANY reason.

• Kim

BINGO. Thank you. Although I doubt anyone who posts comments like that, anonymously or not, will be teaching their children anything about compassion.

Kids will get teased for just about anything. If it’s not the name it would be something else. You can’t live your life worrying about stuff like that.

• Britney

What kid is going to call another child “Maxi Pad”? That stuff is not even talked about until around middle school, and even then, I’m pretty sure that’s not cool to yell that across the cafeteria. Calm down.

8. Arabella

boy name

9. Shirelle

Congrats dont like the name though!

10. Courtney

no it’s not it’s slightly above average. congrats to the happy New Parents love the name too

Average birth weight in the States is 7 pounds 8 ounces. 9 pounds 13 ounces is decidedly more than “slightly” above average, Courtney. It’s roughly 30% above average. And given that this is her first baby, the fact that she’s almost 10 pounds is more than deserving of a “Wow, that’a a big baby!”

How big is Jessica’s baby compared to Paul Newman’s daughter?

11. jacquie109

WOW, that is a big baby. All I can say is OUCH!

12. rachel

I was 9lbs 13oz back in 1969 and I WAS a big baby then but ended up 5’4 and 108lbs. I was a big baby but a small toddler. Hope she enjoys seeing her feet again, poor thing was just so big! Maxi is a cute name, but I dread the names in middle school that could follow her

13. Allie_TX

I am 5′ 4′ and weighed 115 pounds when I got pregnant with my first baby. I didn’t go crazy eating a lot of junk/stuff when I was pregnant and ended up having a 9 lb 14 oz baby. I gained 40 pounds. I definitely had to have a C-section. I bet she did too. Everyone’s body reacts differently to pregnancy. I am happy that she had a healthy baby girl – regardless of how big she got. I’m sure she will work it off. I got my body back – and had 2 other babies after my first – not as big though. :) Love the name Maxwell for a girl. I’d call her Max for short. :) Congrats to Jess and Eric!

14. Lesley

I was 9lb 8oz at birth. Hefty but healthy! I heard Jessica’s daughter will be driving her home from the hospital ;) haha

VERY excited, love Jess!!!!

Maxine would have been better since it’s a girl.

16. gemmalady

given all the stick she got being huge while pregnant, and the baby being nearly 10lbs, she wouldn’t have called it Maxi? lol I like Drew for a girl though

17. Anabelle

Maxwell Drew? That’s awful! Poor girl, on paper she is going to be forever confused as a boy. Drew is ok, it’s unisex, but Maxwell? Urgh.

Horrible name choice!

Bronx and Maxwell. Yikes.

20. edelo

What a great BOY name.

Poor little girl. A Simpson and a boy name. Sigh.

Horrible stupid name. She couldn’t have picked a more masculine name. Okay name for a boy, she’s a GIRL you MORON. People are just so stupid. Why let your child be ridiculed with a boys name??? But then again her idiot sister picked Bronx. 2 morons!

You’re right. People are just so stupid. They get themselves all worked up about something THAT HASN’T EVEN HAPPENED YET. You’re really THIS worried that Jessica Simpson’s child will be ridiculed by other kids? Like who? Apple Martin? Pilot Inspektor? Kal-El Cage?

Do you find it all ironic that the first person making fun of her name is YOU?

Actually there have been studies that girls who have unisex or male-sounding names have advantages in things like getting jobs. It sucks that it’s true, but it is. Giving a baby girl a name like this may actually help her in the future.

Congrats to them! I don’t care for the name, but to each their own. ;-)

What’s good is that people who don’t like the name Maxwell for a girl are free to give their female babies different names. Whether or not the name is liked by the masses is irrelevant.

I can’t wait to see pictures of the baby. I am glad she finally gave birth, it seems like she was pregnant forever. Maxwell Drew is a nice name for a boy, but hey she isn’t the 1st celeb to name her daughter a boyf name.

25. Rosy

Here I was hoping that the rumours about her little girl’s name were false, but hey ho. Interesting to see that her baby was almost 10lbs!

Anyway, congrats to them.

Its interesting they decided to name their baby girl such an obvious masculine name (plus middle name is pretty unisex too) because i recall that interview jess did about how she “would die if their daughter asked for nike trainers instead of louboutins”. I guess i just assume if your hoping on having a girly girl daughter you might not name her such a masculine name.

27. Jen

Geez! No one calls them maxi pads anymore. The likelihood of that happening (esp in luxe private schools in Hollywood with kids named the likes of Pilot and Apple, not to mention Ptomely-that poor kid, none of his teachers or classmates will know how to pronounce his name!) is pretty unlikely, imo. I was wondering when she’d have this baby, too! 9 pounds. I doubt she’ll be the delicate girlie girl shopper Jess wants her to be…she’ll prob be more athletic like Dad. But who knows. Hopefully they will call her Maxie instead of Drew. I like the name Drew for a girl…Drew Barrymore sounds nice. Drew Johnson…makes her sound like a football player. So I’d go with Maxie if I were her!

28. AnonymousM

Congrats seemed like we were waiting forever for this one.
    As for the name well exactly what defines a boy or girl name these days? My daughter is Ashley originally a male name and all the people out there with little girl Jamie’s and Cody’s and Dallas’ these are male names too why not Maxwell shes not the first one to use it for a girl and I agree with Anonymous who refers to the other weirder celeb names in the rhelms of things this one isnt that bad.

29. hmmmm

congratulations!! what a long baby! bet you that tickled her being so teeny(height wise) im sure we will hear some funny birth stories. she speaks her mind and shes beautiful you gotta love her!

30. hmmmm

yep she is punishing her for making her so big during the pregnancy, at least that’s all I can think of as logical reasoning for naming a GIRL Maxwell smh….