Celebrity Moms React To Controversial TIME Breastfeeding Cover

The latest cover of TIME showcasing 26-year-old mom-of-two Jamie Lynne Grumet breastfeeding her 3-year-old son with the title Are You Mom Enough?, recently had the internet abuzz with strong reactions. Some of Hollywood's moms weighed in on the controversy.

“@Time no! You missed the mark! You’re supposed to be making it easier for breastfeeding moms. Your cover is [exploitative] & extreme,” new mom Alyssa Milano, who has been open about nursing 8-month-old son Milo, tweeted.

The latest cover of TIME showcasing 26-year-old mom-of-two Jamie Lynne Grumet breastfeeding her 3-year-old son with the title Are You Mom Enough?, recently had the internet abuzz with strong reactions. Some of Hollywood’s moms weighed in on the controversy.

“Jamie Lynne Grumet breastfeeding her 3 yr old on @time Magazine’s cover is causing a fuss. @brochman says extended breastfeeding is more common than we think,” Danica McKellar, mom to son Draco, wrote on Facebook. “Not sure what else to say other than I’m 20 months into it and going strong…!”

The Big Bang Theory star Mayim Bialik – who has opened up to Celebrity Baby Scoop about being pro-attachment parenting – tweeted that she was “being bombarded” to give her thoughts on the topic.

“This is not easy, to try and speak for all of us, but I will do my best to make you proud,” she wrote on Facebook.

Bialik went on to praise Grumet for her “amazing” story.

I was shocked how amazing her story was. And breastfeeding an adopted baby is incredible. And she gave an educated and eloquent set of responses. I would not have done a photo shoot myself, but I respect her and think she is a smart woman.”

The Blossom alum, who wrote about her experiences and parenting philosophies in Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way, is still nursing her 3½-year-old son Fred.

What did you think of the controversial cover?

Filed under: Alyssa Milano,Danica McKellar,Mayim Bialik

Photo credit: TIME

1. Anonymouse

Actually, the kid looks like he is doing just fine. Who the hell are you to say what he would do better with?

Disturbing. What does she do when he invites his friends over for “lunch”?

3. AnnMarie

Look at me. Look at me.

I’m supermom. Even if I’m feeding a little dude in fatigues who’d do better with some potatoes and steak.

If you’re going to comment, at least comment intelligently. This child is obviously also eating solid foods (probably even “steak and potatoes”) and likely only taking the breast once or twice a day, maybe at night. Yes, it’s an extreme example (this child looks closer to 4 than 3) and I would personally not be breastfeeding a child over the age of 3, and definitely not a 6 or 7 year old as I’ve heard of some “attachment mothers” doing but the World Health Org has clearly stated that it is best for a child to breast fed until the age of 2 or more. I am currently nursing and I plan to try go until the age of 2 or 2 1/2. It’s best for my child. Nursing is hard. It’s not easy and “natural” to everyone. And no, not everyone can nurse. But for those that choose to, WHY slam them? Really, what do you care if a woman nurses her 3 or 4 year old? Let her. Live and let live. It’s not sick or twisted. Maybe bizarre to some but it’s not doing harm and if someone adds a sexual or incestuous spin onto extended breastfeeding, that is YOUR problem and something is wrong with YOU because a breast, ultimately, is NOT SEXUAL. It’s not different than a cow’s udder for her calf–a feeding device for an offspring. Society has made it sexual. Not nature. Breastfeeding is not for everyone but for women that do it, all the power to them.

Amen to EVERY SINGLE WORD that you said.

How come people can’t LIVE AND LET LIVE?

• AnnMarie

Oh please, you could have summarized this drivel in a sentence or two. Let me do it for you: extended breastfeeding is for mothers to feel superior to mothers who don’t do it. That’s it. Nothing more. Nutritional benefit beyond the first year is limited. But a mother’s attention-seeking, feelings of superiority, and oxytocin hits trump all, don’t they?

• kt

I am only just reading these comments now and they are very sad to have to see.. Why anyone feels the need to comment on someone elses choices is unnecessary and does no good for society. One womans choice to breast feed to 6 months and anothers to 6 years is ones on personal decision for their own child. No one elses. Feeling the need to make negative remarks and trying to claim that a womans only reason for extended breastfeeding is because she is seeking attention is disgusting. The only reason why breastfeeding isnt supported more is because woman are choosing to defend their own choices, rather than aknowledging and supporting the decisions of others.

• Ayla

Agree 100%

• Ayla

Not with Annmarie, in fact, Annmarie, your comment just shows you have issues with superiority, yourself. I mean, that’s the most ridiculous comment I’ve seen thus far on this post.

Ayla,

I have read your comments on this string. What you fail to understand is that you are the epitomy of hardcore Breastfeeders who further polarise the whole issue. Your comments serve to do nothing but induce eye rolling from those of us who are slightly more realisitc about a Mother’s right to choose what is best. The martyrdom attitude is remincent of the Simpson’s character who always howled “What about the CHILDREN?!?!?!?”

• Ayla

LOL! get over YOURSELF! Pot calling the kettle black much. And as a matter of fact, I just rolled my eyes at this too. Oh well, we’re all entitled to our own opinions. Some are just more annoying than others. And your Simpsons reference was tacky…

• JustAnotherMom

I would just add that I’m surprised that advocates for breastfeeding way into the toddler years aren’t completely offended by this creepy, cynical and exploitative cover. The pose, the headline – they do NOTHING for reasonable discussion and debate. Shame on Time.

I breastfed my baby girl until she was 11 months, basically because it became too hard to pump at work (I’m a nurse). She’s 22 months now and I don’t know, in a way it seems like it would be awkward but I think I’d be ok until 2 or 2 and a half.
    I just wonder when these moms draw the line? Do they keep going until their kid gets his ass kicked at school when his classmates find out?
    Because a 3 or 4 year old doesn’t know any better. But I bet you when he’s a teenager he’ll think back about it and throw up in his mouth a little.

Did you even bother to read the Time article? This woman was breastfeed until 5 or 6 herself. She has no “nasty” memories of it, and feels that it made her a more independent, stronger woman.

Who are you to judge her?

No actually, I read THIS article,and that is what I’m commenting on.
        I’m not going to buy that magazine and give them the attention they’re seeking.
        I’m happy this one woman is ok with being breastfed until she was 6 year old, I guess that means everyone will be right?

You are the one judging, I am commenting on a post that ASKED for our opinions. Get off your high horse and then take a xanax. No one was talking to you.

I agree with what Alyssa said.
    I guess at the end of the day, extended bf’ing works for her and she’s not hurting anyone, so live and let live, right?

I don’t have a single problem with it and i think the people who do live very sheltered lives. Children breastfeed at this age and older all over the world just because it may not be the norm for you doesn’t mean its not normal for others. I’ve never heard of a killer who’s parents showed them to much love. I myself prob won’t breastfeed this long but that doesn’t mean i have the right to tell another mom what she can and can’t do.

No one is telling anyone what they can and can’t do. That’s where you people always get it wrong.
      This is a COMMENT section, we are all giving our OPINIONS. I’m sure none of us are contacting this woman directing and threatening her to stop breastfeeding this instance.
      You don’t have the right to tell us what opinion to have. State yours and move on.

• Anon

Opinions can be BAD opinions, and just like you have the right to have them, other people have the right to criticize them. You really need to grow a thicker skin. If you stand behind your own opinion, you shouldn’t have any problem defending it if someone challenges you. And see the “reply” buttons at the end of each comment? Those are for responding to other people’s comments. If you can’t handle being criticized, you shouldn’t be posting your opinions in a public forum.

• Tula

So let’s all just keep bickering back and forth right? That makes sense to you? Do you think you’re going to change someone’s mind on this topic? And who are you to say someone’s opinion is ‘bad’?? You seem like a very arogant, pompous bully. “you can’t handle it??’ LOL
          The person you are responding to is right, stop the childish arguments and just state your opinion.

They do this all over the world out of necessity- they don’t have FOOD.
      There’s no need for this if a child can eat. Unless of course the mother is a little f***ed up in the head and has her own selfish needs. Maybe she’s the one that didn’t get enough love as a child. Or maybe her mother did this to her and now she’s emotionally damaged.

Once you have teeth to eat solids breasting feeding is over for me. If the kid can use eating utensils then he can use a cup. For those that want to continue that is your purgative just as it is mine to not breastfeeding into 2,3,4,5,6. Remember everyone is entitled to their comment on this topic post so agree to disagree no one on here is a better mom or worse for different beliefs.

My issue isn’t with attachment parenting or with extended breastfeeding. My issue is with this incendiary and divisive headline. Of course a mainstream magazine wouldn’t just talk about different alternatives for mothers. Instead they have to pit one set of mothers against another. Are you mom enough? implies that mothers that aren’t doing this are not mom enough. It’s disgusting and pathetic, and what’s more is that women seem to fall for it every time.

9. Anabelle

To be honest, my only issue with the cover is that the poor little boy is probably going to be so embarrassed by it when he’s about 12/14.

Exactly. But she’s not hurting anyone right? The above posters don’t realize what this is going to do to the boy emotionally. It’s more for the mother than the child.

• Ayla

How dare you! You have an immature concept of nursing. It is absolutely what that mother believes to be the best for her son. I’m sure that when he’s old enough to be “teased” for this, kids will A. know about it or B. Google the kids name in an attempt to find some dirt on him. Sure. That’s just plain stupid.

Your comment doesn’t make any sense. How is the fact that kids (and practically everyone in developed countries) know about this and can google it help anything? That makes it worse.
          And what age do you consider ‘old enough to be teased’? You must live in a bubble.

• Anon

I think the fact that it can be googled is the problem. I really don’t have an opinion one way or another on what she’s doing, but a lot of people do, and because of that I think it’s a bad idea to put this on a magazine cover that will live on the internet forever. This child is too young to be able to consent to allowing his picture to be publicized like this.

I breastfed my daughter and will definitely be breastfeeding my next, but I don’t need to see photos of other Moms doing it. Especially older children that really don’t need to be on the cover of a magazine. We don’t need to be bashing one another over how we choose to raise our children. It doesn’t make anyone superior and we all do things differently, but I would just prefer to not have to see images like this if I don’t have to.

11. SMH

I don’t know where I read it but someone on another blog said it best.

“If a child is old enough to take direction from a photographer he’s too old to nurse!”

For me personally I was not as taken back by the photo as much as I was by the tagline “Are you mom enough” It’s as if it’s implying that mothers who cannot breastfeed, choose not to breastfeed, or to wean early are not as good as other moms who follow this practice of extended nursing. I have not read the entire article and I’m sure TIME’s idea was to stir controversy which they did. But what TIME failed to do is depict extended breastfeeding in a beautiful way. Instead they chose a mother who is model posing and a kid who is glaring at the camera all while standing on a chair!!! There is nothing nurturing or sweet about this photo. I think they just did breastfeeding moms a disservice by making breastfeeding look wrong.
    Time could of easily shown a 2 year old child laying in his mother’s arms with the two of them lovingly glaring into each others eyes.

I would not breasfeed beyond a year and I really don’t think their is a need for it despite what the world health org may say. There are ways to feed your children very healthy foods where they will recieve many nutrients that their little bodies need. If the world health org came out and said that breastmilk was actually great until the age of 16 who would still really being doing it?

12. Carrie

I responded to this article on my blog Huppie Mama. Unfortunately, TIME managed to alienate both advocates and opponents of attachment parenting. Visit Huppie Mama if you get a moment :-)

So if this picture was of a 3 or 4 year old drinking out of a baby bottle, would that be okay? I bet many people would think that 3 or 4 is too old to be drinking from a baby bottle, when they should be drinking from a cup. So why is it okay for them to still be breastfeeding? To me it seems no different. Nipples (bottle or breast) are for babies, cups are for big kids. At this age, there is no need for breast milk. It is a personal choice and everyone has a right to their own… but to me it seems it is more for the mother than the benefit for the child.

You’re exactly right, there’s no need for this period- but specifically no need for a 3-4 year old to suck on his mom’s tit. If you really truly believe a child his age needs breastmilk, pump and give him a cup lke a normal kid.
      People like this have a mental defect, they are unable to use judgement and common sense. Someone tells them breastfeeding is best- and they hear “breastfeed your child as long as you can force him to do it”.
      They also love the attention. And they probably lack as a mother in so many ways that they feel the need to overcompensate with breastfeeding to make themselves feel like good mothers. It’s sad that the kids are the ones who are going to suffer. With all the things kids get made fun of for, why do this to them?

{Sigh}

So many people. So much judgement.

Breastfeeding is so much more than just a nutrition delivery method. It’s a bonding between mother and child, it’s the mother giving her child the very best nutrition.

How have YOU determined that there’s no need for breast milk?

So this is the only way to bond with a school aged child??!! Really?! Wow, there are many, many other more appropriate ways to bond with a 3 or 4 year old. Bond this way with a baby, but not a preschooler. If you can’t think of any other way to bond, then there are bigger issues to deal with. Even an animal knows when it is time to ween her babies and they are definately not 3 or 4 years old! LOL!

“Even an animal knows when it is time to ween her babies”

So you can’t just accept that this woman will know when it’s time to wean her babies? You presume to know what’s best for her and her family?

Typical.

I’m pretty sure most people can presume that a 3/4 year should know how to eat or drink like all of the other school aged kids. Yes, even an animal knows when her baby should be mature enough to grow up and learn to eat ‘big kid’ food. If this woman’s 3/4 year old doesn’t understand how to drink from a cup or chew food with his teeth, then she isn’t doing her job…in fact, she is holding him back. Let your ‘baby’ act it’s age. She isn’t doing him any favors by keeping him infantile.

14. Ruby

I don’t really care what mothers do regarding breast feeding b/c I’m not a mother, so how can I really judge. But I have a question about it, though…

isn’t there even a little bit of concern about what mothers are passing onto their breast feeding children through the breast milk? Doesn’t everything filtering through the mother (nutrients, toxins, hormones, etc – all things good and not so good) automatically get filtered through to the breast milk? If yes, I can understand that, from ages 0-12? mths, there isn’t really a breast feeding controversy b/c, at that point, the benefits outweigh the risks. But how about what happens during the next 2, 3, 4, or 5 whole years. Don’t mothers need to abstain from drinking and drug taking (even OTC drugs) during this time if they are breast feeding? I’m just curious…

I didn’t breast feed because I adopted, but could someone please tell me the benefits from a 4 year old drinking from the breast. Why can’t she pump and have him drink from a cup? I’d also like to know how anonymous 1:49pm feels about pre-chewing food like Silverstone does. And is it considered bad for bottle feeders to let their children drink from a bottle at 4 and 5 years old when they are clearly able to drink from a cup? Please, anyone, feel free to answer this for me. My son was able to drink from a cup at age one. There was no need for a bottle after that.

So let me get this right…’attachment parenting’ thinks you should put your infant on the toilet like a toddler, but it is okay to breastfeed your school aged child like a baby??!!! LOL! If you are able to eat table food and drink from a cup, you are waaayyyyy past a nipple.

Ok, so i’m not for or against breast feeding…however would like to tell my story;
    I was at a party for a 50 year old and one of the mom’s began to breast feed a 3 year old during the party… no one would have noticed except the child began to cry as if being forced. Sorry breast feeders but I don’t think that is right… that to me is all about the MOM not the Child… seriously Ladies get a grip!

18. Jo

While I don’t have any issue with the cover since I think every loving mother is committed to providing what is best for her child, I am a little upset with TIME for obviously going for the controversy and making the title so incendiary and divisive. I think the real message isn’t the breastfeeding necessarily but the attack from the media to divide parents on this issue. Am I a bad parent because I didn’t breastfeed my first kid after 9 months and didn’t breastfeed my other kid after 2 months? The dark circles under my eyes, my waking up repeatedly in the night to soothe and comfort my kids and tired body say otherwise. I love these kids more than my own life, now and always. When we make the choice to love and nurture a child we are a mother and we always want what is best for our kid(s) so yes TIME magazine I’m a damned good mother and I take extreme offense at the magazine making it seem otherwise.

19. Diana

In my 20′s, I traveled to other countries & I found it interesting that not only do mothers bf openly… but they bf their children longer. At one point, in a church there were 5 bare breasted women bf’ing their kids in front of 300 or more. Another time, I saw a women bf’ing at the mall. In other cultures, this isn’t seen at all, as sexual. I find it interesting that this is so taboo in America.. probably because we raise our kids to be independent. Americans are scared that children will turn out too needy… so we force them to sleep in their own bed, ween them off early, ect. What are people so freaked out about here? I continue to nurse my 17-mo old. When people ask why.. a. it’s my choice. b. she doesn’t like any other milk.. & c. it is our special bond. Nursing is completely discretionary & if I feel it’s time, then we’ll stop. My thoughts on bf’ing… get over it. It’s natural. Women have done this for millions of years. Move on to something that is actually worth complaining about. Next.

My Son was bottle fed right from the hospital. I loved the fact that there was nothing that I could do that my husband couldn’t. Everyone is so focussed on the BF issue and, in my opinion, missing a bigger issue. In Canada, we are given 12 months of maternity leave that we an share with our partners. I took 9 months and my husband was home with me for the first 3 months (totally 12 months of benefits). We were able to equally share our new parenting responsibilties as a team. We were provided with Employment Insurance benefits and our employers (both in the Canadian Forces) topped up our salaries to 92% of what we normally earn plus our jobs are protected by law. If you want to focus on ‘what is best for baby’, why not place your energy into changing the system to allow for more time off for parents to bond with their children?

I assume you’re talking about the US, and it’s adorable how naive you are. Have you paid any attention to how broken our political system is here? Millions of people can’t even get barely-adequate health insurance, you think we could ever get family leave like you have in Canada?

My Son was bottle fed right from the hospital – this was the right choice for me and I certianly don’t feel that he lacked the ‘special bonding’ that only BFing supposedly provides. That is rubbish in my opinion. Further, I think articles like this mask the greater issue – maternity benefits. As a Canadian, we are entitled and protected by law to leave our jobs for 12 months in order to care for our newborns. Further, we may split this time with our partners if we choose – my husband took off the first 3 months with me and I stayed home for 9 months (for a total of 12 months of benefits). I loved the fact that there was nothing that I could provide that my husband could not. Dad and Son had the oppotunity to bond and everyone in the house was rested as we ‘split shifted’ our new parental responsibilities. While we enjoyed this time home with our child, our jobs were protected and we earned 92% of our normal salaries. Why not focus your energies on better maternity benefits rather than a controversial photos that are only supported by a tiny part of the population?

Human milk for human babies. simple.
    If you can’t or don’t want to, that’s fine – there are options these days. No one is being forced to do anything they don’t want to.

It’s a human preoccupation to be obsessed with trying to change what someone else is doing.
    Are they breastfeeding? they should bottle feed LIKE ME.
    Are they bottlefeeding? they should breast feed LIKE ME.

Oh, and journalists? do they make the world a kinder place? NO!

Sorry, but I am offended by the cover. I think it probably would be flagged as child abuse and the mother arrested if she had taken this photo to the local drug store to be developed, rather than put on the cover of Time, which gives it a veneer of legitimacy.

Why doesn’t this mom pump and then give it to her kid? I think breastfeeding should probably stop when the kid is old enough to be able to remember it!

26. Mags

I just don’t understand why they went with such a CREEPY pose for the cover, and why the mom in question agreed to it. Breasts can be sexual AND utilitarian – was Time trying to show both in one photo? Ick. And that ridiculous headline…don’t get me started. Happy Mother’s Day everyone!

Its MORE for the Mother’s benefit to still be breastfeeding That kid that can talk and say it wants Milk !!!
    The kid dressed in the Fatigues ( too funny ! he a lil macho man still attached to the boob wheres the father in this ? whatis his take ? is she a single mom? too riduclous to be doing that at his age he is quite independent and capabale of makeing himself a P&J sandwich if he wanted.

I see what TIME magazine did that cover on Mother’s Day

28. Devyn

The photo is so funny. Are you mom enough? What a joke, I guess if I’m not breast feeding a kid who get to dictate when it wants to give up the breast, letting it sleep with me, or devoting every moment of my life to the child I’m not mom enough. As for the photo the mother looks like the female in Manet’s “Olympia” she’s nothing more than an arrogant tool used by the magazine to stir up controversy and generate sales. The kid looks like some creepy dirty old man, he reminds me of Fred Merts (or whatever his name was) from the old “I Love Lucy” show. Look at his little pot gut and his fatigues. I have no problem with how long anyone breast feeds a child, I have problems with the picture and the caption and again women are having a finger pointed at them by a group of controlling insecure women following the lead of a maniacal old man (Dr. Sears) who feels the need to dictate how we provide for our children. The mother probably did this to get some publicity for her modeling carer. This is a sad commentary on motherhood.

29. AnonymousM

Breast feed, dont brest feed, breas feed but for how long personally I dont think there is a complete right choice every mother is different every child is different and we do what is best for our kids. There are 2 things wrong with this cover – 1. The insinuation that mothers that dont breast feed their 3 year olds are somehow doing something wrong and are inferior to mothers who do 2. The photo even if you are going to breast feed your 3 year old who does it like that!!! It in no way depicts the nurturing bonding expreience that women who do this speak about as part of the reason they do so. I actually feel sorry for Jamie Lynne here as I belive TIME has not helped her cause by using this photo.
    It is unfortunate that breast feeding now seems to fall into that braging catagory I dont care how long a women chooses to breast feed for I care that it now seems to be a point scoring topic like nah nah nah nah nah I brest fed longer than you :P

If all moms practiced attachment parenting it would be the 1950s again with women not being able to work, men not being as involved with their kids only it would be worse because at least back then kids wern’t told they were the center of the universe and catered to down to their every want. Breastfeeding is exhausting, frustrating, a huge toll on a woman, co sleeping has many issues, homeschooling is closed minded and anti-social. It also feels like these moms are saying they love their child more because they will sacrifice their every minute to satify their children. But as a society we have done that, as a group we have become more intelligent, letting our children thrive as independent entities and having a relationship that isn’t a co-dependent one.

These women are moving us backwards. People fought hard to make sure women were not just caregivers.

It’s ok to care for your kids you know. Chances are, when you care for them (the mom or dad) they are loved. When you pay someone else to do it, while you do your very precious job, the ‘caregiver’ is either just going through the motions and not giving a damn or they are pouring their heart and soul into it.
      The fact is, if you go to work, someone else is raising your kids. Just a bit of disconnection from your relationship with them everyday.
      But, if that’s your attitude, it’s probably best that someone else does look after them for you.

• Proudly Not Mom Enough

Idiots like you give regressive thinkers like Dr. Sears the power to persuade mothers that they need to offer themselves up as slaves for their children. You missed the message of the post and immediately started bashing working mothers. Most women don’t have the wealth to be stay at home moms, nor do they want to be. The vast majority of the women embracing attachment parenting are wealthy women with control and inadequacy issues. Their children are used to compensate for unresolved issues in their sad pathetic lives.
        You so don’t see or have any idea of what the bigger picture is in this regressive conspiracy to chain women to the home by making them feel guilty for not spending every moment of their life catering to the child’s need. Most of these children will probably grow up to be narrowed minded narcissist with entitlement issues when the world doesn’t cater to their needs.

Actually, name calling is not cool. Not all moms who stay at home to look after their kids (which is really an ok thing to do) are practicing attachment parenting. Far from it! It’s just at that specific point in their life, they might not want to waste their energy into making money for other people or spending their day with half-wit colleagues. But instead, nurturing their kids. Their own flesh and blood! Not passing the job over to some childless woman!
          Some people have very flexible jobs that can accomodate this type of lifestyle, one where they can nurture their child. One where they can expose their child to lots of different activities, places, people….etc and they find like-minded parents to share in this very positive journey.
          Other people are not so lucky and they want to desperately spend time with their children, but can’t afford to.
          Yet there are others who are DESPERATE to get away from their kids, and you sound like you may be one of those. Seeing them rarely while someone else raises them.
          It’s not regressive to want to look after your own children. It’s perfectly normal. I would have HATED to be looked after by nannies!
          And by the way, most nannies that I meet in the park all tell me the same thing – when they have kids, they will certainly not have anyone else look after them. That says a lot.
          Children need moms that are happy, and some women are just positive about this and are so grateful for their kids, it’s what they truly want to do. Especially if they’ve already ‘given’ to the work force and want to enjoy this next part of their life.
          And some just want to get away, because ‘working’ is just so much easier than looking after kids.
          If you feel guilty, you know why.

• Devyn

You still don’t get it and I doubt you ever will. You harp as if working is a choice for most women. I left work when my son was 5 months old and stayed home with him until he entered the first grade because my job wasn’t compatible with how I wanted to raise my child. The point is, I had the economic means to do so. Most women don’t have that luxury. In addition, not all women that give birth are mothers think about that and get off of you pretentious hight mommy horse. Your comments are idiotic.

I am going to guess that you don’t actually have children right now. Your short sighted commentary is almost comical. Hey!! What’s that?? Its 1953 calling….you should catch your train back a few decades to a time where your attitude was supported and relevant. Where am I going? I am going to go cash my MASSIVE paycheck that I now earn after my many years in university and years of hard work. THEN I am going to pay the babysitter who shares in loving my child, pay for swimming, soccer, hockey, buy some healthy groceries, pay for my large home in a great neighbourhood and have lots left over to take my Son on another Disney Cruise. It takes a village to raise a child. Let us know how your attitude goes for you when you actually have some kids.

• Tula

Where do you think this country would be if only men worked? You are very narrow-minded. If women didn’t work who would be the teachers, nurses, hairdressers, and countless other jobs that are dominated by females? I’m sorry that you aren’t ‘mom enough’ to work and raise children at the same time. Most women are.

I have two kids, I have two masters degrees and I CHOOSE to raise them with their dad for their first three years. I have worked my butt off for 9 years before that, and I will return to work once they are in school.
          I want to look after them, I adore them and am so grateful to have them. So to the anonymous above, you can take your MASSIVE paycheck and flash it all over the place. It’s not all about the money. If you asked your kid, he would probably prefer your company than all the extra curricular activities in the world, including his babysitter. You are so aggressive.
          And to answer your question, who would be the teachers, nurses, hairdressers etc? What’s wrong with you? people can work, have kids and choose to take a bit of a career break or work part time, and then get back to that.
          Everyone has a choice. Don’t knock mine!!

Women are so gullible come On you don’t need some man ( Dr. Sears ) to tell how to be a good mom
    You all KNOW how to be a good mothers by instinct.

this is a comment section and everyone is entitled to say what they feel. I think breastfeeding is wonderful and healthy for every child. I also feel breastfeeding beyond a certain age is extreme. There is no need to breastfeed a three year old child. I think it is disgusting and anyone that does it has weird issues, you need attention. Three year olds don’t need breast milk at that age they get enough nutrients from healthy food.

33. jacquie109

If someone could prove, beyond resonable doubt that nursing a child older than 2 is actually good for them then fine I would support it. The fact is the physical act of nursing is comforting, and there are many other ways to comfort a child rather than putting your breast in it’s mouth. The milk itself may be good for the child, in which case the mother could pump her milk and give it to the child in a cup. If children are supposed to stop using pacifiers and bottles after a year because of the effect it has on their palet development, why is it ok for them to still be on the breast?

Honestly, I don’t care who breastfeeds or for how long…I do care that TIME created a highly sensationalized, mockery of a photo. What is OUR problem, as Americans, is that the media has sexualized EVERYTHING that has to do with the breast. Breastfeeding is natural, this photo is not and therein lies my issue with this woman…why would she ever subject herself and her child to such a tasteless photo.
    I hope whatever money she makes from this goes into a college account for her child.

35. Denise

I know breast feeding is the best thing for the child for all great reasons but once they start to get teeth. That should be the point that they need a bottle. Pump and dump if you don’t want them to have store bought formula. It gives the child more independence and Mom some freedom. But it’s the woman’s choice on how long she wants to continue to breastfeed her child. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION NO STONES NEED TO BE THROWN IS YOU DON’T LIKE MY RESPONSE.

36. seo website

Some really interesting details you have written on celebritybabyscoop.com .Aided me a lot, just what I was searching for :D .

37. Most of the celebrities cover their babies under nursing cover and why not it gives interdependency of roaming everywhere.