Kelly Preston: “Nobody Should Have To Lose A Child”

It's been four years since Kelly Preston and John Travolta's 16-year-old son Jett died during after suffering a seizure during a family vacation in the Bahamas. The Jerry Maguire star opens up about her "enormous loss" on Lifetime's The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet.

"I've had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable," Kelly says. "But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again.... Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing."

It’s been four years since Kelly Preston and John Travolta‘s 16-year-old son Jett died during after suffering a seizure during a family vacation in the Bahamas. The Jerry Maguire star opens up about her “enormous loss” on Lifetime’s The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet.

“I’ve had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It’s unfathomable,” Kelly says. “But I’m here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again…. Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, ‘I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing.”

A devout Scientologist, she credits her church with helping her heal: “In Scientology, we have what’s called ‘auditing,’ and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them. It’s a path of spiritual enlightenment,” the 50-year-old actress explains. “Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely. Through that, the people at my church literally held my hand and got me through… I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted.”

Also mom to daughter Ella Bleu, 12, and son Benjamin, 17 months, Kelly admits she’s so enamored with motherhood that she’s tempted to add to their brood again.

“Having another child after this experience — we had to think about it, especially this late in life. I always wanted to have more kids. I feel like I would even have another child, but it might be pushing it.”

Filed under: Kelly Preston

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. denise

I watched Kelly on Amanda de Cadenet’s program. I just love her courage and her grace. To lose a child so young and then try and go on from that is heartbreaking. I’m not so sure I would have been so brave. Then go on and have a beautiful baby boy must have been the greatest gift from god this family got. My prayers and best wishes for them Always!!!!

Having a child now would be a selfish endeavor. Do people ever just stop and appreciate what they already have without wanting more more more?

• Joy

it’s not at all selfish is she gives a home to a child in need. i don’t see the purpose of trying to have another biological child through a surrogote or whatever but i think it’s perfectly fine for them to add to their family through adoption (not that they care what i think! lol)

• Joy

I have to wonder- did she actually have baby Ben? No disrespect meant either way but she was way into her late 40s. Not sure if that’s possible?! Again no disrespect meant, but seems very unlikely.

• Audrey

Silly. It’s possible. I have aunts and uncles younger than me because both of my grandmothers had late babies – birth control not a big option in the 50′s

4. NYC Mommy

In my opinion at this point even adopting seems a bit selfish. John Travolta will be almost eighty when the kid is 20. Time to enjoy and cherish the two beautiful healthy kids you have.

I don’t believe she got pregnant on her own at 48. It’s very very hard and almost impossible. But anyway good luck to them they deserve all the happiness in the world.

Why has this same story been trotted out every 4 or 5 months for the past two years? It happens every time there is a negative story about Scientology making the rounds in the press.

like i said i don’t believe she got pregnant on her own. This is a comment page isn’t it. So I can give my opinon. It amazes me how some of you get so mad at the comments. Kelly Preston should be honest about how she got pregnant. THATS MY PREROGATIVE!