Melissa Rycroft: How Ava Helped Me Get Back In Shape

Reality star Melissa Rycroft didn't have to hit the gym too hard to lose the 50lbs she gained while pregnant with her daughter Ava. She tells In Touch magazine that the day-to-day of motherhood helped her get her bikini body back.

“I’ve got a natural weight right here,” the 29-year-old mom says, referring to her 1-year-old. “If I just hold her everywhere I go, I’m carrying an 18-pound load. The biceps and triceps that have come naturally are a blessing!”

Reality star Melissa Rycroft didn’t have to hit the gym too hard to lose the 50lbs she gained while pregnant with her daughter Ava. She tells In Touch magazine that the day-to-day of motherhood helped her get her bikini body back.

When Melissa’s not carrying Ava around, she’s busy chasing after her or pushing her stroller through their California neighborhood.

“I can’t really go to the gym, so I have to find other ways,” she reveals. “I always laughed when I heard women say, ‘Chasing after my child is my workout,’ but it’s definitely worked!”

Filed under: Melissa Rycroft

Photo credit: In Touch

I can’t believe how harsh everyone is being. She did not only gain 15 lbs with pregnancy – she says right there that she gained 50. Of course genetics play a roll – she was small before her pregnancy, obviously part of that is in her gentic make up. Of couse, with a healthy looking body she ate healthy foods to help lose weight. I didn’t see where she said, “Oh I eat junk all day and only carrying my baby around made me lose 50 lbs.” She also didn’t say that she doesnt exercise, she said that she does not have time to go to the gym. And why would someone say, oh whatever, take a picture 3 weeks after the baby was born and let us see? How cruel!! She is not saying “OMG I lost 50 pounds in a month doing nothing but eating junk and carrying my baby around!!”

Give me a frickin break!! What nasty women you all are to make such hateful comments. And yes, it’s your opinion, just like this is mine.

I agree with the other poster who says this woman says something different every time she opens her mouth. Um, doesn’t anyone recall seeing pics either on her reality show or in a magazine showing her in the gym doing some power lifting class AFTER she had her baby??!! hello, she is a manipulative liar. Jason dodged a bullet.

Celebs are human too – which means they lie just like anyone else. I don’t believe that she gained 50 pounds! I don’t think any of us are “nasty” just for voicing our opinions and calling bluff on another celebrity that tries to make it sound like it’s so easy to lose the baby weight. I think you’re delusional!

That picture is so heavily airbrushed it doesn’t even look like a photograph (or like her).

• anonymous

First of all, watch “Dancing with the Stars,” clearly that is not airbrushed. Second, some people are more active than others – and going to the gym a couple of times for a power lifting class does not mean you workout “all the time.” Are you jealous? Clearly you have issues with her body size. I am guessing you think you are fat and wish you looked like her? Hmmm…so should people who are genetically smaller overeat and become sedentary so others won’t accuse them of doing something “unnatural?” Hopefully you will come to terms with yourself so that you can live your life in peace and stop cutting others down for their happiness. I’m sad for you.

3. LeeLee

I call BS!! I have 3 kids and had to work so hard to get back to where I was. It took both eating in moderation and some form of exercise 5 days a week. It wouldn’t have happened by just carrying my sons around.

• Bree

Agreed! She should also admit that she doesn’t eat!

I agree with you Bree and LeeLee… She actually admitted last year she starved herself right after the baby was born for awhile… No carbs, salt, sugar etc, and started exercising alot…. She also admitted in a video interview somewhere on line that she heavily diets and exercises every other week to get bikini ready… Don’t know why she is claiming this story now…..This woman is a trip and tells a different story everytime she’s asked something…. Pretty sad, and gives alot of mixed messages to young people, and those who might follow her who may have body image or self esteem issues..This is Pure Hollywood life and focus……

she only had one kid and that pic is sooo airbrushed, good lighting etc..show me a pic of her a few weeks after birth and in a bikini in the regular sun light..hahahah she woudlnt even dare. Try having 3 kids hun, anyone can look good after one kid…also please get your buckt tooth beaver teeth fixed, cant stand this woman.

5. Annika

Ugh! I dislike interviews like this so much! So what?…every celebrity woman is just ‘lucky’ in the post baby weight falling off department? Just run around behind your kid and your belly will snap back and the fat will fall off? I think not. I’m not saying that Melissa is lying because i don’t know, i’m just saying that someone has to be lying because in almost all the interviews these celeb moms say the same thing!

I think you’re forgetting that celebrities, in general, are in phenomenally good shape to start with. If you were eating right and exercising vigorously on a mostly daily basis, you’d snap right back into shape too.

I was wondering the same thing! Holy crap, I was in great shape before I got pregnant, but I over did it a bit (with food) and I gained about 55 lbs. And I had to work my ASS off to get back into shape (still have a little ways to go still). No way in hell did I just carry my daughter around and lose weight; I work out 6 days a week and am on a vegetarian diet. The women is lying..ha.

She probably gained all of 15 pounds during her pregnancy, if even that.

7. Anonymous9

I have no idea who this woman is, but if the kid is a year old, then that isn’t a ridiculously short time to have lost the weight. People have different metabolisms, we’ve all seen that in our real lives, so I’m not sure why so many people are shocked celebrities do, too. Most celebrities are very thin to begin with, so it’s not particularly surprising that they’d lose the weight faster than somebody who tended towards the heavier side to begin with.

i agree with you, ladies. i had twins three years ago and carrying both of them around was not what helped me lose my 50lb gain..it’s partially genetic, partially eating healthier, and working out whenever i could (not that much with twins, to be honest). i do not show any signs of having carried kids, or twins, but i am honest in saying that it is partially genetics, as it may be in her case..but i completely agree: these celebrities need to shush it up because it’s not as simple for all of us…

not all, but a lot of celebrities have surgery after babies, then will say the stupid crap like: exercise 30 min 3 times per week and run around after my baby. i eat what i want because i am breastfeeding.
    lol.
    but the thing is, look at some of these celebs: they take awhile to get their weight off, doesnt happen in two weeks.
    those are the ones that have not had surgury………..flat, FIRM tummies in 2 weeks = surgical intervention of some kind !!!!

This woman is not a celebrity. She’s a D-list reality cast member.