Sharon Stone Sued By Former Nanny Over Alleged Racial Comments And Unjust Termination

Basic Instinct actress Sharon Stone, 54,  is at the center of a lawsuit from her former live-in nanny Erlinda Elemen, 52, who is alleging that the star subjected her to derogatory racial slurs, false accusations of stealing and termination without cause.

The Huffington Post reports that the complaint - filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday - alleges that in 2010, Sharon subjected Erlinda to slurs about her Filipino heritage, accent, food and Christian religion. The lawsuit also says that Sharon requested Erlinda to stop speaking to the children so that they wouldn't "talk like you." Sharon is also accused of ridiculing the nanny for attending church and went as far as to forbid her from reading the Bible in the actress' home.

Basic Instinct actress Sharon Stone, 54, is at the center of a lawsuit from her former live-in nanny Erlinda Elemen, 52, who is alleging that the star subjected her to derogatory racial slurs, false accusations of stealing and termination without cause.

The Huffington Post reports that the complaint – filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday – alleges that in 2010, Sharon subjected Erlinda to slurs about her Filipino heritage, accent, food and Christian religion. The lawsuit also says that Sharon requested Erlinda to stop speaking to the children so that they wouldn’t “talk like you.” Sharon is also accused of ridiculing the nanny for attending church and went as far as to forbid her from reading the Bible in the actress’ home.

The lawsuit continues to allege that things got worse for Erlinda – a Filipino immigrant and U.S. legal resident – in January 2011. Apparantly, Sharon paid her overtime for working during holidays and traveling but later accused her of “stealing” by accepting the overtime pay. After Elemen complained and refused to return the pay, Stone began cutting her hours and berating her in front of other staff members, eventually firing her for no reason.

Elemen – who began working for the actress in 2006 and was promoted to head nanny in 2008 – is being represented by Los Angeles, Calif. attorney Solomon Gresen.

“Because abuses in overtime pay are common for household employees, it seems ironic that Ms. Stone initially did the right thing and paid Mrs. Elemen overtime wages, and then terminated her for accepting those same wages,” he says in a statement announcing the lawsuit.

“It is very common that domestic workers are put down because it’s in the realm of servantry,” says Aquilina Soriano, executive director of the Pilipino Workers Center in Los Angeles. “I think it’s really great that she is filing a case, because a lot of times people are too afraid to file a case against these things.”

“I think there is discrimination against the Filipino accent, and we’ve seen it in other cases,” he adds. “If it were a French accent, it probably won’t have been seen as a negative.”

In response to the complaint, Sharon’s representatives released this statement to The Huffington Post:

This is an absurd lawsuit that has been filed by a disgruntled ex-employee who is obviously looking to get money any way she can. After she was terminated approximately 1½ years ago, she filed claims for alleged disability and workers’ compensation. Now, she is obviously looking for another opportunity to cash in. This is a frivolous lawsuit for absurd claims that are made-up and fabricated. Sharon Stone will be completely vindicated in court.”

Filed under: Sharon Stone

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

Sharon Stone sounds pretty racist to me if this is true. Another righteous hollywood star. I hope the nanny wins the case. There is enough bullying in this world! What a wench!!!

I was a nanny for years so I’m not nanny-bashing. However, it is always a problem when you have a situation of he said / she said (or, she said / she said, in this case). THe problem is that unless there are actual witnesses around to back up your claims of abuse, how can you prove them? If Ms. Stone were so bad to work for, why did the nanny stay with her for so many years, and live with Ms. Stone, no less? I think speculation about someone’s behavior when you’ve never met them or worked with them is a pretty quick rush to judgment.

But what if it isn’t true and this is just another disgruntled employee who thinks they can extort money out of their wealthy employer because of their celebrity. You just called the woman a horrible name without knowing what the real facts are. At this point it is just accusation. I’ll be the first to dismiss Sharon if it’s true, but until then hold your judgement otherwise you are no better than the bully.

I am not a bully myself. I just get tired of seeing people being treated like second class citizens if they don’t deserve it. If it is true I will be the first to admit i was wrong. But remember if Ms. Stones accusations aren’t true that this woman will me marked as a bad nanny and have a hard time getting work. I truly hope the nanny isn’t in this for the money.

I am NOT surprised that Sharon Stone is being sued by the former nanny. As far as I’m concerned, Sharon’s heart is TRULY made of STONE!!! I hear that, over the years, Sharon is rude to her fans (and to other people). And, Sharon has treated former employees of hers and movie crew members like complete DIRT. I quit watching her movies years ago. I hope that a judge makes that ice-queen Sharon pay THROUGH THE NOSE!!! TEAM NANNY ALL THE WAY!!!

“Hearing” about what she may or may not be like, or what she may or may not do, is called “hearsay.” Unless you actually know the person and have witnessed their behavior over a period of YEARS how can you say?

If this is true I hope Stone loses big time!

Good luck to that nanny proving any of it. She could have quit. Sounds like she needed her green card. As far as reading the bible in her house-her house, her rules. If SS did not want her children to speak with an accent, there are plenty of American nannies she could have hired. It all sounds like BS to me.

I have to agree with your statement. I am not saying that housestaff are NEVER abused verbally, I am just saying that we really don’t know for certain what happened. How do we know for CERTAIN that Ms. Stone isn’t the one who is being taken advantage of?

Sharon don’t call pilipino stupid ur more stupid I hope karma is coming for u

She looks like she might be capable of it. Sharon Stone does not look nice at all!

And for all of you saying the nanny could have left, well, yes, she could have. But already being well past middle age and with limited skills, her chances of finding another job were slim. And if you add “Sharon Stone’s former nanny” to her resume, without a character reference from Sharon, and without a favorable recommendation from Sharon, she was quite unlikely to be hired at the same rate. So faced with the prospect of working at McDonald’s as a janitor, she decided to stay. I see nothing wrong with her decision. She wouldn’t have had to leave if Sharon (supposedly) wasnt making her miserable.