Farrah Abraham: Teen Pregnancy Is “Un-Glamorous & Difficult”

Farrah Abraham: Teen Pregnancy Is "Un-Glamorous & Difficult"

Reality TV star Farrah Abraham returns to the small screen this June for the fourth and final season of MTV’s popular docu-series Teen Mom. Welcoming daughter Sophia at a young age is not the only hardship Farrah has faced. She also dealt with the loss of Sophia’s father, Derek Underwood, who was killed in a car accident before their daughter’s birth.

Farrah opens up to Celebrity Baby Scoop about her “beautiful young lady,” critics who say the show glamorizes teen pregnancy, her best advice for sexually active teens, and her career passion.

CBS: What do you say to the people who criticize Teen Mom for glamorizing teen pregnancy?

FA: “I hear this time and time again and my response is Teen Mom shows the realities of teen pregnancy and the repercussions thereof. In fact, the series shows how un-glamorous and difficult our lives can be as a result of teen pregnancy. It is an educational documentary series and it serves to educate teens on the hardships of being a teen parent.”

CBS: What are some of the greatest life lessons you’ve learned since becoming a young mom? What do you say to teens about sex: abstinence, safe sex, etc.?

FA: “Hands down, I would say the greatest life lesson I’ve learned since becoming a teen mom is that life is unpredictable. I’ve felt all kinds of emotions through this journey such as sadness and stress. I’ve had horrible relationships, and felt a lack of support at times. However, it’s these situations that make you stronger and more mature.

In regards to teens and sex, if you haven’t already had sex, keep it that way. If you have made the informed decision to have sex, you don’t need to continue having sex and you can always stop. If you decide to continue being sexually active, please explore all contraceptive options. Even if you have found the love of your life, sex comes with responsibility and you must understand what you are getting yourself into and the potential consequences for your actions. There is never a time out for responsibility.”

CBS: How is Sophia doing? What is she into these days? What does she do to make you laugh?

FA: “Sophia is doing amazing. She is into cooking, singing, and dancing. I would say her funny dancing or silly songs make me laugh. She’s a great and beautiful young lady.”

CBS: What are some of your favorite mommy moments with Sophia? What are some of your favorite/cherished memories with her?

FA: “I will never forget the time Sophia went to the bathroom on the floor out of nowhere as if it were completely normal. My cherished memories include our first moments together, how we first looked at each other, her first bite, her first sound, etc. I have a whole baby box dedicated to Sophia and the moments we’ve shared. I love my baby Sophia!”

CBS: We hear you’ve just signed with LA modeling agency, Models International. Tell us about the type of modeling we’ll see you in.

FA: “Yes, you will see me in print and commercial work, lifestyle pieces, and hopefully swimwear features. Working out and staying healthy is very important to me so I hope to make the cut for fitness and swimwear campaigns as well.”

CBS: Are you planning to complete your bachelor’s degree in culinary management? And tell us about creating your very own Hot Pepper Italian sauce, Mom&Me.

FA: “I plan to move passed my bachelor’s to receive my master’s in international hospitality. Launching our first Mom&Me brand food product with my family the Italian Hot Pepper Sauce has been great. Focusing on family and traditions with delicious food items has lead me to my true passion in life. I’m happy I get to use my knowledge and put it to work and I look forward to opening my first restaurant soon!”

Filed under: Celebrity Interview,Exclusives,Farrah Abraham

The show itself is not what glamorizes teen pregnancy. The fact that these teens are making hundreds of thousands of dollars for being stupid is what glamorizes it!

They get paid that much because so many people watch it. Even if they do make that much money, it still isn’t glamorous. We still see them struggle to be moms and take on the responsibility. We see them grow up (or sometimes not grow up fast enough). Yes MTV may make it a little easier with their paycheck, so it doesn’t always show the financial struggle, but it shows the other struggles. You can’t just have a teen watch this show on their own. A parent or adult should watch it with them to talk with them about it and to answer questions.

• Shannon

I believe MTV should not pay them and the girls willing to go on should just be willing to tell their story for free. This girl is also getting exposure from the show by signing a modeling contract so now she is making money from that too. I have watched this show and 16 and pregnant and have honestly seen no reprocussions for these young girls. I don’t believe their lives are “glamorized” but I do think alot of them have not suffered any consequences someone else may face.

So you think MTV should make money from these girls and their families, but the girls and their families should do it all for free as a public service announcement?

Yeah. Okay.

Teen mom completely glamorizes teen pregnancy. If teen mom is suppose to show how hard it is to be a teen mom. Why do Maci bookout WANT to be a teen mom all over again and want a baby with Kyle and admit she wanted another baby on teen mom because she was “bored”. That doesn’t at all sound like struggling to me at all. If teen mom was showing how hard it is to be a teen mom and why to avoid being a teen mom why did Leah Messer from teen mom with twins get pregnant AGAIN!!! Her fiance at the time even admitted she was pregnant again but miscarried. Obviously the girls on teen mom aren’t struggling and don’t think being a teen mom is tough since all of them want and are getting pregnant AGAIN!

All the teen moms on teen mom provide for their children very well while not working jobs. That is what is glamorizing teen pregnancy. They all want more kids as teens and are getting pregnant again.

Maci Bookout is almost 21 years old and couldn’t be a “teen mom all over again” unless she has the ability to turn back time.

Leah Messer was NEVER pregnant with twins again. You really should get your fact straight before you criticize.

They do have a job. MTV pays them pretty darn well to be on a little reality show called “Teen Mom”. You might have heard of it?

I must be missing all the “glamorizing” that people keep talking about.

YOU are the one who needs to get their facts straight when Maci Bookout was 19 years old she wanted another baby. Maci is 20 years old now and this happened a year ago or 2 years ago. And YES she wanted a baby at 19 years old with Kyle King and even asked him and her mom if she should and when she should be a teen mom again. Secondly Leah Messers FIANCE at the time now husband is the one that told magazines that she was pregnant. No not with another set of twin but with a baby! It’s still a baby whether it’s twins or not. Why would her husband state that when it’s a lie? Why would they get engaged soo quickly in the relationship other wise.

LOL “teen mom” a job lol i’m not even going to answer that.

Uh everyone knows Maci wanted to be a teen mom again when she was 19 years old( it happened on teen mom!)It’s also known that Leah Messer 2nd husband is the one that said she MISCARRIED. Meaning she was pregnant again …

“teen mom” a job LMAOOOO. Exactly now girls think if they get pregnant as teen they can be rewarded big amounts of cash, get to be famous, people want them on magazine covers, take their pictures etc. This is what is glamorizing it as well. THANK YOU for helping me prove my point.

• Alsimons

I see their objective for this show but these girls and what they actually
      Show on tv is horrible. Their execution
      Is lost in translation. These girls struggle with
      teen dads who don’t know any better.
      The only major struggle is struggling to stay
      a teenager and living a young single life. They
      Do as they please cause the parents let them
      They don’t have to work cause of the show
      So the money they get to buy their iPhones and
      new cars and nice apartments with all
      cool amenities is because the show paid for
      it or because of the parents. Now the only real
      struggle is not seeing the side of the grandparents and
      How they take over patenting these babies
      Because their children of 16 believe they
      get to stay teenagers. News flash you got
      to earn that right to go out now. it’s what us
      Parents call parenting. These girls don’t struggle
      that’s why they are on the show so they don’t have
      To. One major detail this show doesn’t point out
      is these girls might have gotten stupidly
      Pregnant while in high school and now
      have to grow up faster but that’s what every
      Parent faces and most yes have kids later but
      They also juggle more and go thru more upsets
      Than any teenage pregnant girl will indure
      because girls those parents are on their own
      raising their kids without the help of MTV.
      So no you teen moms who are on tv aren’t
      Really struggling.

Farrah sounds very mature in this article. Way to go!

I had my first daughter as a teen as well (18). There’s NOTHING about it that was glamorous. I watch Teen Mom and realize how lucky I was to have had a supportive partner. I don’t know how these girls do it when (usally) they’re the ones who have to step up and take care of business while the fathers generally stay teens and just don’t “get” it.

4. denise

This show is suppose to show teenage girls how tough it would be on them to have children at a young age. Too bad these girls didn’t learn any good lessons from doing the show. They have trust issues, they can’t hold down any jobs, they use drugs, get arrested, not to mention they ignore the children they’re suppose to love. Very immature. Glamorizing this show is such a disgrace. Send them to doctors to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

5. denise

And how many adult parents have trust issues, can’t hold down any jobs, use drugs, get arrested, and ignore the children they’re suppose to love?

You seem to think this is all due to being a teen mom, when in reality, it’s just due to being a bad mom.

These girls are growing and learning, and the ones that aren’t are crappy parents because they’re crappy parents, not because they’re teens.

• Anonymous9

You’re just wrong. A big part of why so many teens are crappy parents is their age and the lack of maturity that goes with it. The same girl who is an awful parent at 16 might have been a loving, supportive parent at 26. Dismissing them as simply crappy parents who fail to learn denies every single thing we know about why it’s bad to have children raising children.

• Anon

Well said! And some of the crappy parents seemed to have come from a screwed up childhood or home life (at least from what I’ve seen)

6. MediaWary

Sounds like she’s one of the few girls from the show that actually grew up and made something of her circumstances.
    Although I believe that it is meant to depict the reality of being a young parent, Teen Mom uses an approach that creates the impression that teen pregnancy is glamorous. The production and promotion of the show are always use a totally different tone than what the material is actually depicting. Teen Mom is made to appear just like all the other teeny-bopper shows on MTV and VH1, whose main objective is to attract viewers to the characters’ lifestyles because they are all endorsed or supported by various companies (cars, clothes, even places they go). Teen Mom, however, is not about “reality” dating, having a bunch of alcoholic/unstable housemates or attempts at jackassery that will end in a visit to the hospital – it’s the documentation of real humans dealing with a very human situation. I just wish the producers took the issue as seriously as a rational person would, because if they changed the tone of the show, I believe it would have a more positive, edifying effect of the audience. As it is, it does glamorize teen pregnancy – but that is not the fault of the teens featured.

7. MediaWary

8. MediaWary

9. MediaWary

10. Wary of media

Teen pregnancy has gone down 9% in the US since the airing of MTVs Teen Mom. Just saying…..

teen pregnancy rates go up and down all the time it doesn’t mean it’s because of a show. Secondly with the teen moms wanting and getting pregnant all over again i doubt they’re getting any lower.

love this article interview!! Farrah has got to be one of my favorites cant wait till the final season