Sarah Silverman: “I’d Love To Adopt Someday”

Comedienne Sarah Silverman says she would rather adopt than have children of her own. Speaking in a recently aired interview on The Conversation with Amanda De Cadenet - the 41-year-old admits she doesn't want to pass on her depression to a natural born son or daughter.

She said, "I don't want kids. I'd love to adopt someday and I have a lot of adoption in my family... I know that I have this depression and that it's in my family. Every family has their stuff but, for me, I just don't feel strong enough to see that in a child."

Comedienne Sarah Silverman says she would rather adopt than have children of her own. Speaking in a recently aired interview on The Conversation with Amanda De Cadenet – the 41-year-old admits she doesn’t want to pass on her depression to a natural born son or daughter.

She said, “I don’t want kids. I’d love to adopt someday and I have a lot of adoption in my family… I know that I have this depression and that it’s in my family. Every family has their stuff but, for me, I just don’t feel strong enough to see that in a child.”

She also shares that her gynecologist gives her a hard time on freezing her eggs.

The Bob’s Burgers star also jokes, “I haven’t frozen my eggs and what are the chances my womb isn’t polluted at this point? I do believe in adoption… I watched my oldest niece be born… (and) I passed out… All I could think was, ‘Oh my God, we are animals’.”

Silverman goes on more about adoption.

We live in Los Angeles, where everybody is like, ‘Don’t get your dog from a breeder, get your dog from a shelter…’ and I agree, but don’t get your people from a breeder. There are human puppies in shelters and it’s odd that that never seems to be a connection that people make.”

“If you’re not OK with yourself… it’s easier to love a dog than a person in need because you don’t see all the things you hate about yourself reflected back in the eyes of a dog. If Africa was full of springer spaniels dying of Aids and starvation we’d probably take care of it in a day.”

Filed under: Sarah Silverman

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Grace

That top quote of hers is odd. First she says she doesn’t want kids, then she says she wants to adopt. Doesn’t she realize that if you adopt, you end up with kids?

What? I can understand that, but she does not think that by adopting a child that they might also have depression, or even more serious issues? I am certainly not putting down adoption as I agree wholeheartedly with adoptiong, I think it’s great. I am just saying that you never know what a child may go through in life whether a child is biological or adopted and an adopted child may have depression in their genes also that you would maybe not know about.

She is not saying she doesn’t want a child who has mental (or any other) issues.
      What she’s saying is she doesn’t want to have a biological child and possibly pass on her genes for depression. She doesn’t want to add another depressed person to this world. Mental illness passes on to the next generation 50% of the time.

I wish more people thought this way. If you know you’re messed up don’t pass on those genes to someone else.

Dear blogger, do you realize that adopted children ARE “your own”?!?! Let’s all stop using that phrase, mmkay?

She is a heinous woman… Doesn’t anyone remember when was beyond cruel to a still healing Britney spears and blatantly called her children something along the lines of “mistakes that should’ve been abortions”… Not an exact quote but close enough… Hope no child is ever subject to this troll

Do you know that genetic is not the only reason for depression?having a depressed parent,even if the child is adopted can cause depression as well.

No it can’t, do some research.
      Depression is a clinical disease, it’s not feeling down because it’s a rainy day or because your mom sleeps all day. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain.
      There is a big difference between depression and just being in a bad mood.

1neurochemical factors play a role in the onset and course of depression
        2Families increase or decrease vulnerability to depression

7. Lisa

The way this interview was quoted is misleading. I watched the interview and the “I don’t want kids” comment was made during the discussion of her gynecologist telling her to freeze her eggs if she wants kids. Not in a “I don’t want kids at all” kind of way, but in a “Stop telling me to freeze my eggs because I don’t want kids that way.” kind of way. She cuts off her “I don’t want kids” comment and explains that she wants to adopt rather than have a biological child.

She is in for a rude awakening if she thinks adoption is less risk than having a biological child that may or may not end up with depression.

You’re missing her point. Of course an adopted kid can have depression, what she wants to avoid is CREATING a child with depression. Any child she adopts is here already, whether she adopts them or not will not change the fact that the kid does or does not have depression.

9. Amy

Oh come on people. She never said that she wants to adopt because its a sure fire way to have a child without depression. I’m convinced there is zero common sense left in this world. Her point is that she knows she has is and it runs in her family. She doesn’t want to knowingly put a child through that just because she wants to be a Mom. She knows there are many children in this world that need a loving parent and a biological connection in her eyes isn’t necessary. If a child she adopts has a predisposed chance of depression based on their genes, that’s completely different.

10. Fun Fan

Her message seems to be there are good reasons not to birth or adopt…and it also is eye opening that she does not promote seek treatment for depression. Depression is very treatable.

• Lisa

You clearly didn’t watch the interview. She talked about treatment and mentioned that she is on medication. This is merely an excerpt of the interview, not the entire thing.