Alanis Morissette Blogs About Attached Parenting

As a self-proclaimed attached parent to her 1-year-old son Ever and fueled by the infamous Time magazine cover depicting a 3-year-old feeding at his mother's breast, seven-time Grammy winning singer Alanis Morissette recently opened up about her thoughts on attachment parenting and how long mothers should breastfeed their children.

"The goal of attachment parenting is to provide your child with a deep sense of connectedness and bonding, while the goal of the exploration stage is to provide space for their utter freedom to express their authentic selves while being protected and kept safe," the You Outta Know singer blogs for The Huffington Post. "This delicate blend will make for a securely attached, connected and authentically expressed child, who feels free, safe and protected."

As a self-proclaimed attached parent to her 1-year-old son Ever and fueled by the infamous Time magazine cover depicting a 3-year-old feeding at his mother’s breast, seven-time Grammy winning singer Alanis Morissette recently opened up about her thoughts on attachment parenting and how long mothers should breastfeed their children.

“The goal of attachment parenting is to provide your child with a deep sense of connectedness and bonding, while the goal of the exploration stage is to provide space for their utter freedom to express their authentic selves while being protected and kept safe,” the You Outta Know singer blogs for The Huffington Post. “This delicate blend will make for a securely attached, connected and authentically expressed child, who feels free, safe and protected.”

“If these stages are thwarted, a child’s ability to navigate adulthood and connect with human beings later in life is at risk,” she adds. “That’s the real irony that many people are confused by — attachment parents believe that the more we tend to our child’s needs during those first stages, the MORE independence and interdependence he or she will have later in their life!”

I personally believe that the attachment stage, done well, can circumvent countless addictions later in life because many of these addictions are often a temporary attempt at feeling this sense of connection. If a child’s needs during this stage of development are not met, he or she will be staving off a haunting sense of cellular disconnection and loneliness for a lifetime. they will not have effectively internalized a loving nurturance as their own love-style.”

As far as breastfeeding goes, Alanis tells ABC News that she is still nursing her son and will only stop when Ever is ready.

“[Ever's] particular style is that — wherever we are, if he sits down and looks at me, it’s time to snuggle, you know? It’s peppered throughout the day, more and less, depending upon what he needs,” she reveals. “I know some children who have weaned naturally at two years, some kids wean naturally a couple of years later. I mean, it’s up to every child.”

The family’s philosophy is to have as much skin-on-skin contact with Ever as possible, including sharing the same bed.

“The bed is consistent in that Ever is always with one of us,” the rocker mama says. “I’m always available if he needs me, period. I love snuggling and sleeping next to him.”

Filed under: Alanis Morisette,Celebrity Moms

Photo credit: Splash News

1. SMH

I think people get too deep with this stuff.

There is something about this little boy that I find adorable. He looks exactly like his father.

3. N.S

Love her. Always have, lo9ve her music, love her style, her attitude, she’s just great.
    I have been an “attachment parent” (although I wouldn’t generally say that) since my first daughter was born almost 5 years ago, I enjoyed it then, and I enjoy it again now with my 1 year old.

I’d also like to point out that attachment parenting isn’t just for breastfeeders, I have friends who didn’t breastfeed past the first couple of months who have been very devoted to being there emotionally and physically to their children.

LOVE her, her parenting style, her easy going attitude. Everything. Awesome job, mama!

Wow, he looks exactly like his Daddy!!!

Insanely over the top. Talk about a needy adult, with social problems. Talk about getting picked on in school. Talk about bullying. This child will not lead a normal life, ever. MAMA’S BOY!!

Really? You’re sure of all that?

Can you explain all the needy adults with social problems that are currently inhabiting the earth that did NOT have this type of parenting? Can you point out all the kids who are being picked on right now because of extended breastfeeding?

You are (right now) surrounded by people who were raised in the attachment parent philosophy and I bet you couldn’t point to ANY of them as not leading normal lives.

8. Anonymous9

We all know how important it is for a child to be authentically expressed. Sometimes mine just fake being expressed and it’s such a disappointment to me.

It is much easier to practice this method of parenting when you only have one child. Too often, when the second baby is born, parents change the way they parent their first child. I wonder what this does to the child?

10. nanny

I agree with what she has said. It is just that she, and many others, say it in such a cooky way that no one really wants to hear it. I have a 16 month old that I raise this way, but without all the cooky talk. Oh, and Anonymous9 you made me laugh out loud!!!!

I do wish people would stop presenting their method of parenting as “the better way”. Don’t tell me that attachment parenting makes children feel any more loved or secure than children raised other ways. I’m glad it works for her – and anyone who does it – but enough sanctimony, already.

Do what works for you to raise a healthy, happy, secure child – whatever your parenting style.

How do you know it’s NOT the better way?

How do you know it is? I have nothing against attachment parenting – in fact, I think it’s marvelous if that’s how you choose to do it. I also think other styles of parenting are marvelous too. I just get tired of the sanctimony. That is all.

Ugh. So sick of hearing about “attachment parenting” when spending time with your kid, teaching her right from wrong, loving her no matter what…is being “attached” whether it’s called that or not. Quit implying I’m detached because I don’t follow someone else’s formula.

She needs to ditch the crotch dangling carrier. For someone that knows so much about attachment parenting, she should know those things are crap.