Jim Carrey: “I Love Evan Very Much & Will Miss Him Always”

After an emotional conversation with Howard Stern in which former Playboy model Jenny McCarthy, 39, called out her ex Jim Carrey, 50, for refusing to keep in contact with her 10-year-old son Evan, the funny man was quick to respond to the allegations.

“I will always do what I believe is in the best interest of Evan’s well being,” the actor said in a statement released by his publicist to ABCNews.com today (June 6). “It’s unfortunate that Evan’s privacy is not being considered. I love Evan very much and will miss him always.”

Jenny – who dated Jim for more than five years – openly accused the star of basically abandoning her son, causing him to need therapy.

”I’ve tried to ask [Carrey] numerous times [to see Evan], because my son still asks,” she said, adding that Evan tells her he misses Carrey “almost weekly.”

Although Jenny doesn’t doesn’t communicate with the comedian directly, she’s gone through “channels” to convince him to reconnect with her son.

As a mother, you just hope when you have a relationship with someone, it has nothing to do with the child when you break up. I tell [Evan] that someday you’ll cross paths, meet again … [but] it’s hard. He’s been in therapy. It’s a process, he’s working on it.”

Filed under: Jenny McCarthy,Jim Carrey

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Emily

Since I don’t know either of them, I can’t really say” what a jerk” or “shes being such and such” BUT…. if I were in the situation, 5 years is a LONG time to be together to not consider the boy his family, so I can imagine how hurtful it would be to the boy. BUT, not knowing the circumstances, maybe communication is too painful for J. and maybe he believes it really isn’t in the best interest for E. to not be able to move on, seeing as how JM has a new man in her life.
    I think they could do themselves, and E. a favor by keeping this in the therapists office. But, I understand when a celeb is asked, they look awful by not answering.

I read her quote somewhere else and I think this article is very biased. Try posting things in full, instead of only snippets to look someone look bad.

3. Anonymous9

Of course it has something to do with the child when you break up. People who date you don’t take on responsibility for your child for the rest of their lives. It’s a shame that she isn’t able to respect her child’s privacy at all. Her need to spew her, and her son’s, personal business to anybody that will listen is sad and pathetic.

If she was so concerned for her son she wouldn’t humiliate him by telling the world his medical and psychological issues! He is old enough to read and so are his friends. Her son is her responsibility; she needs to stop blaming others for his issues and look at what she has done to create them.

5. DENISE

Jim is not Evan’s father. He has no ties to the child except when he was your boyfriend. If the relationship didn’t end well why would you want him to have any contact with your child. Makes no sense. Just be there for your child and get on with your own life. Evan will be fine. Love him.

6. SMH

I’m on Jim’s side with this. Yes, 5 years is a long time. But Jim has no obligation to the boy. It would be nice for him to see him or still be there as a father figure (in the sense that he talks with him hangs out with him). Perhaps it is too painful for him to do so right now. Jenny’s always been one since Evan’s autism diagnosis to put Evan out there. You never heard about Jim’s daughter Jane until she got older and could make decisions on her own to be in the public eye.

I think Jim is probably thinking of Evan’s autism. Someone (Jim in this instance) coming in and out of his life to visit and then going away again could be quite stressful for him. Especially if there’s not a routine.
    At least, that’s what I know from my experience dealing with kids that have Aspergers/autism, my brother being one of them.

I actually feel bad for him, she broke his heart… I can imagine how painful it would be interact with her child… I’m sure he loves her child and always will. But he needed to move on and how can you move on when some huge part of her life is still in his and I don’t know if anyone remembers his break down and erratic behavior after the break up. He needs to move on for not only his own well being but also his own children and grandchild. I feel sorry for the child having to be involved in this but jenny has to know things like this happen in relationships and its part of the conquences of break ups.

I think something people aren’t thinking about is that because Jim is not the boy’s father, he has no legal right to real visitation. So how does that work? Does he get to pick the kid up every Friday for ice cream? Does his visitation with the boy depend on her mood? What happens when she gets a new man in her life, does that end the visitation? What happens when she gets pissed off at him and cuts off the visitation, what recourse does he have? None.

sadly this happens when a relationship ends… its painful because, when we love someone and is part of our life its so difficult a break. but in this case, jim is not the legal father so he doesnt have the “power” to do whatever he thinks with evan… im sure he loved so much, and he never forget evan, because they were a family…but now, jenny has an other man in her life and he cant stay there taking care of her child…because sadly life is this way…love sometimes is a right. im a child and im married, my husband love my kid so much, but its my obligation, he helps me, and i want to live with my husband the rest of my life, but i know, if something happens i think the best is takes a different ways. is the best…its for all this possible trauma, that when we are mothers we have to be so carefully when a man comes to our life…and wait..for our childrens sake… (hope u understand my english)… totally agree with jim carrey