Paris Jackson: “I Was Really Confused” About Wearing A Mask

Three years after Michael Jackson died at age 50, his 14-year-old daughter Paris opens up to Oprah Winfrey on Oprah's Next Chapter, airing Sunday on OWN. And the talk show queen asked what it felt like to wear a mask in public.

"I was really confused," Paris admits about being masked as a child. "I didn't get why I was wearing a mask. But I understand it now – why my dad would want our faces to be covered. When we went out without him we wouldn't be recognized."

Three years after Michael Jackson died at age 50, his 14-year-old daughter Paris opens up to Oprah Winfrey on Oprah’s Next Chapter, airing Sunday on OWN. And the talk show queen asked what it felt like to wear a mask in public.

“I was really confused,” Paris admits about being masked as a child. “I didn’t get why I was wearing a mask. But I understand it now – why my dad would want our faces to be covered. When we went out without him we wouldn’t be recognized.”

But the beautiful teen insists she and her brothers – now 15-year-old Prince and 10-year-old Blanket – had “a normal childhood.” She adds, “Chuck E. Cheese’s and Toys R Us were our favorite places to go.”

He told us that when he was younger he didn’t really have a childhood,” says Paris. “He would always be stuck in the studio singing while the kids were out playing. He wanted us to have that.”

“It never gets any easier,” she adds of the tragic loss of her father.

Jackson died in June 2009 from an overdose of propofol. His physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, was sentenced to four years in prison after he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for administering the powerful anesthesia.

Paris is set to hit the big screen, starring in the upcoming fantasy movie Lundon’s Bridge and the Three Keys.

Filed under: Paris Jackson

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Ashley

I don’t understand why Oprah is once again asking about the masks. Paris already explained her feelings on Ellen. But oh well. There’s a new clip out where she’s talking about how she and her siblings are close. She said she and Blanket have a lot in common and they are closer now than they used to be. I think it’s sweet that Blanket has his big sister close by. I wish them all the best in life.

Now I’ll wait for all the inevitable foolish comments to begin.

Rest in peace, Michael. You are missed.

“I don’t understand why Oprah is once again asking about the masks.”

You know Oprah and Ellen are different people with separate TV shows, right? And that many people who will watch Oprah’s show didn’t see Ellen’s show? Oprah doesn’t answer to Ellen, I’m sure she doesn’t watch Ellen’s show, and there’s no reason she can’t ask questions that might be the same as those asked in another interview. If you think different interviewers can’t or wouldn’t ask the same questions in a celeb interview, you should try reading about what happens on a press junket.

Paris is a Stunning gorgeous girl. those eyes ! are they her real eye color ?

Dear Ashley: You don”t get to decide for everyone that which is “foolish”. You’re a fan and that’s your right. I’m not and that’s o.k. too. Just because someone’s opinion differs from yours doesn’t mean that their opinion is foolish. Get over yourself.

4. Kate

So pathetic!

If she realizes why he kept them masked and if she agrees it was something that needed to be done, why is she EVERYWHERE now? Isn’t it her father’s biggest fear?

• LaKesha

A child is pathetic? Seriously?

• diva

STFU!!! Obviously she wasnt gonna be a damn teenager running around in a mask moron!!! Shes 14 and Prince is 15 their Dad wouldnt have kept them masked into adulthood stop being ignorant and rude!!! She has a right to live her life and pursue her dreams and defend her father and family like anyone else so go sit down somewhere!!!

• Ashley

Actually, Michael had started to phase out the masks. There were times they did go out with him in public without the masks there at the end. Of course he tried to hide them from the paparazzi, but I would too if it was my kid.

Michael spoke to Barbara Walters about how he would support his kids if they wanted to go into showbusiness, but he’d lay it all out for them about how they should go about it. He’d tell them to do it better than he did. He was getting folks from UCLA to come to his house and work with the kids on filmmaking, etc. I think he knew at that point that there was no stopping the acting bug.

No stopping the acting bug? Was Michael Jackson an actor? Are his kids actors?

• Ashley

If you want to get technical, yes, Michael was an actor. He acted in films. The Wiz, Moonwalker, even had a bit part in Men in Black II. Paris told Ellen she saw Michael in Moonwalker and knew she wanted to be an actress. The children have gone to acting classes, as the paparazzi have shown, and the kids talked about how Michael had UCLA staff working with the kids on filmmaking, etc. Paris said she and Michael would do improv together. I think Michael knew his kids wanted to pursue that.

5. Irishgal

I am 34 years old, MJ Fan since I was 5, and my god, i think he would be turning in his grave if he knew how much his children are in the spotlight now. I can’t believe Paris actually did another interview with Oprah. Oprah did not like MJ and believed he was guilty of the allegations against him. How dare she interview his children.

MJ insisted the children wore masks so they would not be recognised, he wanted them to have a normal childhood, without camera’s being shoved in their faces.

His family should remember that he wanted the chidlren to be out of the limelight, and they should not allow them to do interviews. He would not be happy.

Well, to be fair, Oprah was right and she’s probably relieved that these kids aren’t under his influence anymore (not that the influence they’re under now is much better).

somebodys music and his personal life are two different things, i hope. So, if the mediais following your kids everywhere and tries to posess you, you try to be free if this is possible and masks was an idea to protect the personality of people who have nothing to do with the professional life of Michael Jackson, cause thats for everybody is interested of him, not for his life- life is something, that everybody has. I would try to protect my children too if i see: they are followed everywhere and even in the toilet, no place for privacy, no place for being a normal humanbeing and everything because their father had a talent, that should be respected, not discriminated in this tasteless way.

You’re his #1 fan. We get it.

will oprah tell her to stop calling herself mixed? she’s a white girl and that’s offensive. plus i bet you anything oprah knows the truth about paternity, lisa marie told her i’m sure. it’s time for her to enlighten this kid

• Ashley

Who are you to call this child a liar? She grew up with Michael. He was her father, and she clearly knew him and knows herself better than you do. She’s not offending anyone. Michael was her father. What YOU are saying is offensive and heartless. Lisa Marie wouldn’t know the truth about this at all. She wasn’t involved in the conception of Michael’s children. But I see now you are just a Lisa Marie stan who is bitter that Michael had babies with someone else.

actually i figured lisa marie would know because since she was one of the few people close to him who was NOT an employee…it’s safe to assume she got some bits of actual honesty out of him during their time together. and she was around during the years where he was “having” these kids, so i bet you anything she does know the truth. and given how she’s pals with oprah and that question was conspicuously absent from her interview….she probably told her everything in private but that she couldn’t answer that one on TV. don’t you think?

• Ashley

Seeing as how Paris has actually said Michael is her biological father and seeing as how Prince has vitiligo, there is no “truth” to be told.

how would paris know if michael didn’t tell her the truth? i mean, she does have eyes and she will probably become aware of the nutty arrangement through which she was born…but i figure right now of course she’d be in denial

• Ashley

She knows the truth, because a.) she DOES look biracial. Put a photo of her up next to a photo of Debbie. She’s darker in every way than that woman. b.) her older brother has vitiligo, which Michael has, therefore making it extremely likely that Michael is his biological father, seeing as only .5 to 1% of the world’s population has the condition, and you are more likely to get it if a parent or relative has it.