Willow Smith Gets Wild On The Escalator

*EXCLUSIVE* Willow Smith get's jiggy with it on an escalator at Barnes and Noble

Tween Whip My Hair singer Willow Smith, 11, was seen having a bit of fun on the escalator at Barnes and Noble in Calabasas, Calif. with a gal pal on Wednesday (June 27).

Willow recently posted the below Instagram photo of herself on her Twitter page sporting what appeared to be a tongue piercing but after fans criticized her accessory choice, the young girl tweeted, ““It’s fake…Sorry.”

It seems papa Will Smith is okay with his daughter’s choice of self-expressions – whether that entails chopping off locks or getting piercings.

“When you have a little girl, it’s like how can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world,” Will explains.

“She can’t cut my hair but that’s her hair. She has got to have command of her body,” he adds. “So when she goes out into the world, she’s going out with a command that is hers. She is used to making those decisions herself. We try to keep giving them those decisions until they can hold the full weight of their lives.”

Filed under: Willow Smith

Photo credit: AKM-GSI/Twitter

That’s a GREAT philosophy. Nothing wrong with letting your kids make their own (non-critical) choices. I can’t imagine why any parent would think that THEY should be the one who decides what hairstyle their kid will have.

• KatieG

I can’t imagine who would thumbs-down this comment.

Oh wait, yes, I can. The helicopter mommies who think they should control every hair on their precious snowflake’s head until they turn 35, and that anyone who dares to put a bright color dye on their head is a deviant.

2. NYC Mommy

Why is this 11 year old always out and about without any adult supervision? My kids were not allowed to go out to mall alone until they were at least 14-15. The way she is dancing on escalator shows she is not mature enough to be out without a parent, nanny or babysitter.

Don’t even get me started on her fake tongue ring. What parent would let their 11 year old wear a tongue ring (fake or not)???? People view young ladies with tongue rings in a very sexual manner so why give them the chance to???

Also, very obvious her parents do not even monitor her Facebook, twitter or instagram accounts? My goodness she is only 11. She still needs years of parenting and has a lot of growing up to do.

• mandy

Maybe her minders have been cropped out of the pictures? The site probably figured “who wants to look at pictures of someone’s nanny”…. This happens a lot.

• Isabella

She would have a bodyguard. He’s not in the photo. I highly doubt she would be allowed to go out without some kind of protection.

• SMH

Well when I was 13 my mom let me get my belly button pierced. When I was 14 she let me get a tattoo. When I was 16 I got another tattoo. When I was 17 I pierced my nose. But I never did drugs, wasn’t having sex, got good grades, was a great kid. So my mom figured there are better things to worry about in life then what I was doing to my body. She said, “your body, your money, your regrets later!”

I’m almost 30, still have most of my piercings, pay my own bills, put MYSELF through college, and have NEVER been in trouble. So just because some parent lets their child be free spirited with their hair and body in terms of image doesn’t mean that the parent doesn’t care or isn’t parenting. Had I been doing other things like drugs or underage drinking my mom would have had bigger more important problems to deal with that a tattoo and piercing would of really meant nothing.

• Alina

Moniter her accounts? Seriously? What happened to privacy? She’s 11, I think she deserves some. I go to school by myself (no, no school bus, public transportation) since I was 9 or 10(nothing bad happened to me, obviously) Being 11 isn’t THAT young. And honestly, not trying to sound like a bitch, I feel sorry for your kids, waiting until 14-15 to go to a mall? A nanny or a babysitter for an 11 year old, what the hell? If I were 11 and I had a babysitter I would be embarassed and hating my parents. “She still needs years of parenting” If her parents let her go to a mall alone doesn’t mean she’s all on her own. I’m sure they talk to her and parent her. But having a little freedom never hurt anyone.

• NYC Mommy

Alina,

An 11 year in not entitled to privacy on the internet. An 11 year olds Facebook and twitter accounts should be monitored by a responsible adult.

There are many bad people out there and preteens should not be in mall or online without adult supervision.

Yes she still does need years of parenting at least 7 until she is 18.

Perhaps when you grow up and have kids of your own you will feel differently

This kid is headed down a very destructive path – just watch and see.

4. Mlya

omg shes an 11 year old whose livin it up, shes a kid having fun, stop being such old ninnies!

5. Elle

It’s pictures like this that remind you that she is only a child. Missing out on so many simple childhood experiences.

6. Anna

Just because an adult isn’t pictured , doesn’t mean they aren’t present . She has handlers with her . Mom and dad probably don’t have time to always be takin her around. And wow a fake piercing now she is heading down a destructive path . Get a grip. She isn’t any different from other girls who play around with fake piercings around her age /older . I guess my kid is going down one too because I let her wear magnets or get a henna tattoo! At least she is being just that a kid , in these pictures . Will and Jada know what’s best so let her be. I love what Will said !

• NYC Mommy

Anna- her handlers? what is she a circus monkey?

Yes, I agree mom and dad dont have time to parent… it is quite obvious.

• musiclover

Handler is an appropriate term for someone paid to take care of a child performer. I only know this because my son was part of a circ du Soleil show for 3 months, and the person the hired to look after him and the other child in the show was called a “child handler” or “child wrangler”. Just a little unimportant information, lol.

7. Adrienne

Ugh…. I dislike seeing her. And her idiotic shock value crap.

8. Megan

As much as I want to comment on her escalator behavior, I work at a department store and share a 1/2 wall, 1/2 glass panel segment with the top of the up escalator & continue to be shocked at the stupid things ADULTS do every single day.

9. Lisa

It reminds me of the movie Mallrats and Jason Lee’s character’s rant about teaching kids to fear and respect escalators. Apparently that is a lesson that Willow did not learn.

10. SMH

I am not a big fan of the Smith family. I think they do like the attention and I sometimes question whether Jaden and Willow really want this or if this is asked upon them that they have no choice.
    In any case I’ve seen some of their movies and heard them on the radio and quite frankily they’re not good at doing either. So let’s just say they are where they are today because of who they’re attached to and nothing more. Just like Kim Kardashian is famous for having a sex tape. Willow and Jaden may not have real talent but they’re never going to want for anything because just like most kids of hollywood celebs most of them don’t have to work hard at getting to where they are.

SMH – you should go back to college and learn proper grammar before you post. I’m still trying to decipher that last sentence you wrote. And by the way, it’s “would have”, not would of.

12. Ella