Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes Split

"The Kennedys" World Premiere

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are headed for divorce.

It was announced today that the couple, who have 6-year-old daughter Suri, have split: “This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family,” the actress’ attorney tells People. “Katie’s primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter’s best interest.”

A rep for the 49-year-old Top Gun star also issued a statement on the break-up, saying, “Kate has filed for divorce and Tom is deeply saddened and is concentrating on his three children. Please allow them their privacy to work this out.”

Tom and Katie tied the knot in Italy in 2006 after a whirlwind romance. The marriage was the first for her but the third for Tom, who was last married to actress Nicole Kidman, with whom he has kids Isabella and Connor.

Filed under: Featured,Katie Holmes,Tom Cruise

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

My respect for her just skyrocketed.

2. Veep

What’s up with his fingernails on that photo? Yuck!

3. Elle

Wow, I was not expecting this..

Not surprised at all I saw this coming a mile away and I that it was odd that Katie’s been wearing the same 4 or 5 outfits for the past week, she just been mix matching them.

5. Bink

The man’s a whack job. I hope we’ll see Kate smile more now.

6. KIM

She is asking for sole custody its going to get ugly

7. SMH

It lasted longer then I thought but I never thought for one second it would ever last forever.

8. anonymous

Very sad for them. Tom must have some serious issues. I feel bad for both of them, including the children. Wonder what Nicole thinks… she knows what Katie went through more than anyone else.

9. AdalIde

I am so not surprised. The only thing I’m surprised is that it lasted this long.

I guess it will be a while before we see him jumping up and down on Oprah’s couch huh?

11. Lolo

She’s had “dead eyes” for a long time. Hope she can get some sparkle back soon.

The real reason she divorced him is she didn’t want Suri getting in his church i read this on TMZ. Tom is crazy with his science stuff it’s like a cult I think Katie was scared for Suri. Good for her divorcing him.

13. Wendy

Wow, I really didn’t see this coming! Actually, I have been seeing the pics of only her and Suri in the last month or so on the internet here and there and noticed that Tom wasn’t in the pics. I really never thought anything of it. I thought maybe he was out of town doing a movie or whatever. When I saw it on television tonight I was stunned! And it says that she wants the divorce! Will we ever really know the real reason why she wants a divorce from him? Maybe, maybe not. It’s the children I feel sorry for here, not the parents.

14. Ella

Maybe the rumors are true and he is gay!

15. So cute

I was a surprised by their union at first, but then started to accept/tolerate them as a couple.

16. Fact

She’s an idiot for having relationship with him in the first place.

17. kcmolady

Wow is the only word I can come up with while reading these comments. When some of you divide (if your even married) lets post it so we can all assume we know what happened and say the most hateful things to you instead of feeling for all parties involved. We are supposed to be adults.

18. Bink

Didn’t he split from Nicole, just before the 10 yr mark that would entitle her to half
    his assets? Lovely man.