Is Katie Holmes Removing Suri From Scientology?

Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise Color Coordinate Their Outfits

With the recent shocking news of Katie Holmes filing for divorce from Tom Cruise and seeking sole custody of their 6-year-old daughter Suri, the internet is abuzz with possible explanations for the abrupt split. And of course, many are speculating that Scientology is to blame.

It’s been more than a decade since Tom divorced his second wife, Academy Award-winning actress Nicole Kidman. And while his split with Katie dominates headlines, Nicole’s estrangement from Bella and Connor, her teenaged kids with Tom, remains a source of curiosity for many.

Sure, there’s geographical distance: Nicole lives in Australia and Nashville, Tenn., while Bella, 19, and Connor, 17, are in Los Angeles. And Nicole’s own growing family with second husband Keith Urban have been the unofficial explanations for the sad rift. But several former members of the Church of Scientology claim there are other factors for the estrangement.

Karen De La Carriere, ex-wife of former Scientology president Heber Jentzsch, opens up to The Hollywood Reporter: “By filing for sole custody of Suri, [Holmes is] making it very clear she’s not going to let what happened with Nicole Kidman happen to her.” She goes on to claim that members of the church deliberately turned Bella and Connor against their mother during and after the high profile 2001 split.

As well, former Scientologist leader Marty Rathbun adds that members, including staffers who worked in the family’s L.A. home, campaigned against Nicole in front of the children. Rathbun says he observed Tommy Davis, who heads the Scientology Celebrity Centre, feeding “false information” to Bella and Connor.

“Tommy told them over and over again their mother was a sociopath, and after a while they believed him,” Rathbun claims. “They had daily sessions with Tommy. I was there. I saw it.”

“Katie could blow Scientology wide open,” adds Rathbun, who was in the church for 22 years before leaving in late 2004.

“If Tom’s smart, he won’t fight her on anything, even custody. He should just try to settle his way out of it,” says Rathbun. “She could press this sole-custody issue and litigate it, and that would be the biggest nightmare in the Church of Scientology’s history. It would be a circus they couldn’t survive.”

“You’re either in or out when it comes to Scientology,” another source says. “That’s why Katie is making custody such an issue in the divorce petition. If you’re out, the way she seems to be, they want to cut you off from everyone, including your kids.”

Nicole has not been photographed with Bella and Connor for several years.

“They live with Tom, which was their choice,” Nicole said of her older kids in a late 2010 interview. “I’d love them to live with us, but what can you do?”

In May, Bella said: “I love my mom. She’s my mom. She’s great . . . I see her sometimes and I speak to her.”

What do you think? Is Katie protecting Suri from Scientology?

Filed under: Featured,Katie Holmes,Nicole Kidman,Suri Cruise,Tom Cruise

Photo credit: INFphoto.com

1. Mlya

Oh I sure hope so, that cult is messed right up but its a gauranteed stardom if you are an actor,LOL…yes please SAVE SURI!

2. Marilyn

I remember all the posts saying, “Run for your life, Katie” before she married Tom. Hate to say everyone told you so, Katie.

3. ava

I hope she gets sole custody! Suri will be able to live a normal life Scientology is a crazy cult!

4. bambi bittner

I’m sad for the family but honestly I agree with the other poster, I was learly of Tom when they announced the engadgement and even more concerned when they had Suri with all the Scientology junk. I hope she wins.

5. Anon1

Lol I hope so too!! Bunch of freak shows… Run Katie and suri!

6. Anonymous10

I think Bella’s quote is terrible: ““I love my mom. She’s my mom. She’s great . . . I see her sometimes and I speak to her.”” It follows Tom Cruise’s style: he tells exceptionally great things about people he doesn’t really believe. “I see her sometimes”…Really? Sometimes? You’re 17!! You should see her everyday. But wait, there’s more “and I speak to her.” Oh, wow, big concession.
    I think Bella and Conor’s “choice” must be Nicole Kidman’s biggest heartache. And I am sure she cannot even speak about it because of whatever pressure or pre-nup agreement she’s under. Very sad.

Wow. That’s a lot of judgement and supposition about things you can’t possibly know about.

For all you know, Bella is not a great interview and really can’t express herself or doesn’t think it’s anyone’s business, so she doesn’t share more.

And for you to be SURE that Nicole Kidman can’t speak “because of whatever pressure or pre-nup agreement she’s under” is quite hysterical.

Don’t you think this situation is sad enough without you adding YOUR own personal little twist to things? Stick with the facts, ma’am. It’ll be better for everyone (and it’ll make you look like less of a moron).

7. Marfle

What i wondered is why all this didn’t bother Katie BEFORE. It’s not like Tom barely became a Scientologist. If all the speculation is true, it’s really ridiculous in my opinion to divorce Tom because of that, since she KNEW even before she married him that everything surrounding Tom Cruise has to be related to Scientology. There’s no alternate religion for him and we all (including Katie) know this.

8. The *Cult* word gets overused,but in some cases it is appropriate.
    The definition of a destructive religious cult is like alcoholism-if booze controls you instead of the other way around you are an alcoholic.
    I was in the Watchtower society Jehovah’s Witnesses,they are not benevolent and won’t let you leave their organization in peace.The Jehovahs are not without scandals-child abuse, sadistic mind control tactics, sex scandals, money scams, general bad behavior — you know, religion.
    Is it a cult?
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck….
    *tell the truth don’t be afraid*- Danny Haszard