Jessica Simpson: “My Body Is Not Bouncing Back Like A Supermodel”

Jessica Simpson looks great in black gown and shows off her pregnant belly in LA

For the first time since daughter Maxwell‘s May 1 birth, Jessica Simpson is opening up about her “big appetite” during pregnancy and her struggles with postpartum weight-loss.

“I let myself indulge in everything I wanted because it was the first time I was ever pregnant, and I wanted to enjoy it,” Jessica, 32, tells USA Today. ”I wanted to be happy and eat what I wanted.”

Since welcoming her first child, 9-pound, 13-ounce Maxwell Drew, with fiancé Eric Johnson, the fashion designer-singer has been working on losing the baby weight.

“I didn’t realize it (the weight) didn’t all come off with the baby,” she says.

The new mom is currently tackling the pregnancy pounds with Weight Watchers. “They want me to be healthy,” she said of the weight loss program.

No revealing exactly how much she has dropped so far, Jessica says, “I’ve lost weight every single week.” She says she is ”eating less of everything,” but “I don’t believe in completely depriving yourself.”

Jessica says she hasn’t eaten macaroni and cheese since being on Weight Watchers. “It’s better not to have it at the moment,” she shares of her favorite indulgence.

But chocolate is definitely not off limits!

“I’m a woman who wants her chocolate,” she admits. “I allot myself a fun-size (bag) M&Ms. I eat one of those, and my craving is satisfied. I don’t need the whole bag of M&Ms.”

While doing Weight Watchers with her mom, Tina, and 13 good friends, by late August, they had collectively lost 160 pounds. “It’s nice to do it together and motivate each other,” she says.

And don’t expect to see the Fashion Star mentor out for a jog! “My boobs are way too big to run at this point,” she shares. “I’m just walking.”

It sounds like her football fiancé is supporting her every step of the way.

“We take Maxwell out a lot,” Jessica says. “[Eric]  was really healthy when I met him, eating a vegetarian diet and very health conscious from being an athlete. I have his support but not pressure. The fact that he loves me the way I am right now — we’re set. He knows I want to feel better in my skin.”

“My weight has always been something that people like to comment on. I’ve gotten used to it. It’ll start to get boring at some point, I hope,” she says.

And for the new mom, it’s all about being a healthy role model for her little girl.

“Nobody wants to talk about their weight,” she says. “For me, I have had to come to a place where I am comfortable with myself. I’m a mom now, and get to be a role model for this beautiful little girl.”

“I feel like everybody can do what I am doing,” she says.

She goes on to say she’s an “everyday woman” when it comes to postpartum weight-loss.

“I’m not a supermodel. My body is not bouncing back like a supermodel. I’m just your everyday woman who is trying to feel good and be healthy for her daughter, her fiancé and herself.”

Filed under: Jessica Simpson

Photo credit: Splash

1. DoesntMatter

….and as long as your doctors declared you healthy then I see no problem. She looks beautiful and happy plus a healthy baby. F all the superficial BS

2. jade

That was very refreshing to read. I love her attitude.

3. My Name

she didn’t realize that those buttered pop tarts didn’t just rush out of a woman’s vagina in the delivery room? What a goddamn moron.

4. Belle

Um, yeah right. If this was the case why would you sign up with weight watchers to endorse it. You could have signed up quietly and not taken all that money to lose weight publicly.

5. eliz

this is way harsh, but she is such trash… yeah it’s not bouncing back because you ate like a horse and probably did little exercise- not rocket science here!

6. Courtney

oh please when you have a complicated pregnancy like she did which is why her daughter was born 2 weeks early you don’t bounce back as quickly. besides if she’s still nursing she can’t lose all the excess weight right away because they recomend you keep 10lbs until you wean the baby

• R

Um, who ever said she had a complicated pregnancy? If she did, it was because of how much weight she gained. And yes, her daughter was born by elective c-section 2 weeks early. That means they scheduled it, not that she went into labor. And the baby was 10 lbs. I think it’s clear that all of Jessica’s “problems” are from overindulging. Not some medical issue that she couldn’t avoid. She even SAID that she overindulged because she thought it “all came off with the baby!”. Facepalm.

7. kelpy

Since when do you have to over-indulge in order to enjoy a pregnancy?! Pregnancy isn’t about food.
    She’s back-peddling now of course. I agree that she doesn’t have to be supermodel thin just as long as she is happy and healthy with her weight, but please Jessica, enough with the preaching. We are ‘everyday women’ too. We know a few things…

8. Kate

Well they do say don’t literally eat for two unless you want to diet for two after the birth, research has shown that pregnant women only need around (depending on your activity level) an extra 300 calories (total 2300) a day, not an extra 2000 (total 4000) which is literally a grown womans daily requirement x2 would be.

I’m sick of people being such extremists when it comes to this sort of thing, there is no reason to deny yourself the occasional treat during pregnancy (just like any other time of your life) but you still have to moderate what you are eating, and not make unhealthy binge eating a habit.

Not to mention the more you move the more you burn off, so being as active as possible helps with the excess weight gain and makes you more fit and improves stamina for the birth.

All of this knowledge SHOULD be common sense but it’s shocking how many people are lacking it, and choosing to be superficial or whiny to themselves or other people when the results aren’t what they expected.
    As long as your weight doesn’t fall into anoxeically skinny or clinically obese, and you are happy AND healthy (because it’s no good being one and not the other) that is all that matters. Everybody else can take a flying leap because you only have to live your life for your kids if you are a mom, and you, nobody else.

Oh please, she’s just saying this to promote weight watchers.

10. Anonymous9

“I didn’t realize it (the weight) didn’t all come off with the baby,” she says.

I like her, but she’s either dumb as a rock or she thinks that we’re dumb as rocks.

11. akanomaly

I was inspired by her honesty about the poptarts, and for my third pregnancy, I too just allowed the indulgence. There is nothing wrong with eating when youre pregnant, I love the women that point out how you only need a few extra calories, try telling that to my growling stomach all through my first trimester, one extra snack isnt cutting it honey. Eating healthy can be accomplished without sacrificing taste and cravings too. Its really all about balance, and when she says normal women, shes speaking to a general audience, wake-up all of you calling HER stupid, average American women are obese, so she is doing better than normal, it was a compliment. Its an amazing feeling to have a honey that makes you feel attractive when your huge and doesn’t pressure you to lose it too fast either, that combination right there will definitely assist her success in anything that she does. I am so lucky to share that with my mate as well, he makes me feel sexier than I ever have even though I have put on weight. Love Jessica, and support her brand because of it!!