Ireland Baldwin: ‘Pig’ Voicemail Was No Big Deal

Alec Baldwin Takes His Daughter ireland For Breakfast in New York

Ireland Baldwin is no longer the 11-year-old child called a “rude, thoughtless little pig” in a voicemail from dad Alec Baldwin. Now 16, she towers over her father at 6’2″ and is the spitting image of her famous mother, Kim Basinger. In an interview with Page Six Magazine, the aspiring actress and model shares intimate details about her relationship with new stepmom Hilaria Thomas and finally addresses that infamous viral voicemail.

On the ‘pig’ voicemail: “The only problem with that voicemail was that people made it out to be a way bigger deal than it was. He’s said stuff like that before just because he’s frustrated. For me it was like, ‘OK, whatever.’ I called him back and I was like, ‘Sorry Dad, I didn’t have my phone. That was it.’ We almost did something funny on YouTube, of me calling him and yelling at him. We were just talking about it the other week.”

On Alec and stepmom Hilaria: “I’ve always had a great relationship with my dad…And Hilaria and I are really close. She’s like a big sister to me, but I feel like I haven’t spent enough time with her yet…We joke around and I call her ‘Mom.’ But I respect her, it’s not like I’m Parent Trap-ping her, setting up booby traps in her room.”

On being the child of two celebrities: “I had a regular schedule. I don’t live in a five-story mansion, I don’t drive a Lamborghini…The only difference being the kid of two celebrities is nothing in your life is going to be kept private and you have to watch your back. I’ve had people who I thought were my friends, but it turned out they just wanted concert tickets.”

On the paparazzi: “My dad has been going through it for so long, I can see how he gets frustrated. For me, it’s all so new and fresh. If acting or modeling takes off and I make a name for myself, I can see how I might get pretty frustrated.”

For more from Ireland, go to Page Six Magazine

Filed under: Alec Baldwin,Featured,Ireland Baldwin

Photo credit: INFphoto.com

Calling your CHILD a “rude, thoughtless little pig” is always a big deal, IMO. Sad.

• Bloubiboulga

It’s sad that she is so used to be yelled at and insulted that she just think “whatever” :(

• She was 11 years old at the time and probably acted like a spoiled brat, but I don’t think her father would chastise her for no good reason. Sometimes a parent may say things to their children that they regret later on but they still love them. It may have done more good than harm in the end. She seems to have turned out just fine!

2. Anonymous9

How much abuse is she going to take from the men in her life because it seems normal? Because that’s how dad acted? Very sad that she thinks that is normal or ok.

• Ebonita

I agree. She a child, so she doesn’t even understand that saying what her father did wasn’t a big deal because “he’s said stuff like that before” actually illustrates just how bad the problem is. I hope as she gets older she realizes this is not ok. He’s setting her up for horrific relationships with men in the future.

3. Kat

I’m surprised, and angry, that no one is also looking at the other side of this: that her mother purposely released that voicemail. Her mother was more concerned with getting back at her dad that she didn’t consider what it would do to her child. Sick.

Alec was disgusting in that voicemail but Kim was no better in making it public.

4. anon

She is not the spitting image of her mother. A pretty girl but not as beautiful as her mother.

How sad that to her it was “no big deal” AND that it had happened before!

6. klutzy_girl

Can people just let this voicemail thing go already? Yes, it was bad, but it happened years ago.

7. anonymous

Here we go again, people still making a big deal out of that five year old voice mail. Ireland could care less but the condemning posters like to gnaw everything to death. I don’t think Ireland looks at all like Kim Basinger other than having blonde hair. I’ve seen other photos of her and she looks like her Dad. They’re not looking too close, obviously.

8. amy

plain and simple, you can choose to live in the past or you can choose to move on. it seems to me that ireland has moved on, yet the rest of the world/media has not. my dad has said horrible things to me – does that mean that i am going to go on and only date guys who verbally abuse me, etc.? hell no. i learned from his mistakes. ireland seemed like she has learned from her father’s as well. plain and simple – MOVE ON.

ps: to the poster who said that ireland is not as beautiful as her mother… seriously? ireland is 16 and beautiful! does it make you feel better about yourself to make rude remarks about a CHILD? i’m sure you’re just absolutely flawless, right?

9. Glenda

Ireland fits the profile of an in vitro kid — unusually tall, fragile heath and immune system — and she looks more like Stephen Baldwin than like Alec Baldwin. Whoever the sperm donor was, she’s turned out very well, especially considering what she’s been through. If she looked ONLY like her mother, she’d be absolutely gorgeous; it’s unfortunate that the Baldwin genes have mitigated her looks. But she’s great-looking, and she has a great mother. It does seem to have been good for her that her father, despite his narcissism, showed his devotion to her by fighting for her and going to all the trouble he did, even flying constantly across the country to see her whenever possible. She may also have had a good therapist. It’s going to be hard for her when she realizes how abusive and destructive her father has been to others, and how shallow, sick, and in denial he is, but that’s part of what she’s going to have to understand in order to be sure not to be vulnerable to relationships with the wrong kind of men, and it looks as if she’s on the path to being a great woman, like her mother, despite her father being the s.o.b. that he is. It’s unfortunate that he doesn’t have sufficient background and education to make sure that she gets the right kind of education etc. from here on out, but for a kid raised in and around Hollywood, she seems to be quite exceptional.

10. Glenda