Paris Jackson: “I Want To Be My Own Person”

0906_paris-jackson-01_ob

At 14, Paris Jackson is breaking into showbiz in the upcoming film, Lundon’s Bridge and the Three Keys. Three years after the death of her father Michael Jackson, Paris opens up to Glamour about stepping into the spotlight, her famous family, and cliques at her high school.

On how her family feels about her acting career: “A lot of people don’t want me to do it [her aunt Janet Jackson has said, "She has the rest of her adult life to be that actress that she wants to be... Your childhood—you completely lose."], but Aunt La Toya believes in me. She heard me play a little guitar and sing, and she started clapping, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.’ She really does encourage me; it’s just awesome of her.”

On her famous last name: “I love my dad, and I’m proud to be his daughter. I just don’t think the title ‘M.J.’s daughter’ fits me. A lot of people think he’s the only reason I’m making it, but I want to show that I do have talent and that I can make it if I try. I want to be my own person.”

On cliques at her high school: “The clique in my class, they don’t like me or my friend because we’re outside of the box. We’re not copycats. Prince calls me goth, but I’m more rock ‘n’ roll. (I listen to older music like AC/DC; Phil Collins is the ish.) A ton of kids at school have made fun of me; if I had to give advice to other girls, I would say, ‘Hang loose and ignore them. They shouldn’t faze you no matter how popular they think they are.’”

For more from Paris, go to Glamour….

Filed under: Featured,Paris Jackson

Photo credit: Glamour

1. arabella

come on if her last name is not Jackson. she would not make as far.If pairs was some random little girl on the streets no one would take her seriously

2. Debbie

Daddy is sperm donor #35568, a plumber from Simi Valley

3. Elena

It is so sad that you two women are so judgemental.

4. Emma

my god, so much airbrushing and photoshopping. she is a beautiful 14 year old girl she does not need that kind of work done to her photos!

5. anne'

oh please. she’s such a poser. other day she was saying that she loved chris brown

what does ‘phil collins is the ish’ mean?

7. Someone

Geez she’s a 14 year old girl…give her a freakin’ break! She seems like she had a very level head on her shoulders. Michael must have done a little something right. It’s sad to hear grown women act like teenagers again.

8. Team Paris

I think she is absolutely stunning!

9. Sam

Lately she has become a bit of a b****. She is 14 and is acting like a rebellious 14 year old. Where are her guardians to guide her?! Is she wants to act FINE but let her make that decision on her own when she is mature enough and understands the consequences.

10. Patia

Her classmates don’t like because she probably has a big mouth that gets her into trouble. Someone slap me if I even ATTEMPT to support this brat and her “acting” career in any way shape or form.

• anne'

her classmates probably don’t like her because she sounds like a spoiled entitled girl

That’s clearly an assumption that she is a “brat”. I think it’s sad we are trying to tear her down, when we really don’t know her personally. We can’t talk about supporting young girls if we are tearing them down. When you’re fourteen, I don’t think you should deny what some of your dreams and goals are. If she wants to act, so be it. Who are we to judge or even hate her for being her.

11. and

if farzante not have sayd in the program he liked ellen degeneres almost all kinds of music, and that ninety percent of its head was the music of his father mikel jackson king of pop, and then i think that if they do not accept to paris what to do with gays, they have children too and mikel, cleared, at any time of his life was gay who likes to fuck him.
    paris will be accepted and will continue meeting people that neither accepts nor accepts gay adoptions or even if it was one or perhaps finally faces two more unfortunate gentlemen, drugs, rascismo although but there´s more.

12. patti

no one will this kid seriously until she admits she knows she’s not his biological child.

Even though I don’t think Michael is her bio-dad, I don’t think she owes anyone an explanation about it.

Who cares whose ‘biological’ child she is?

Do you also think that no one will ever take Katherine Heigl’s children seriously unless they admit they are not biologically related to her?

And why does that matter, I bet you wouldn’t dare go up to any chid that is adopted or lives with a family friend and tell them that since they are not biological they do not deserve to be a part of the family.
      Family is family, biological or not.

13. Ashley

You people are so pathetic. Still obsessed with the genetic makeup of a 14 year old child? That doesn’t MATTER. Give it a rest. She knows who raised her and who loved her, and that was Michael. As for her taste in music, she’s 14 for crying out loud. When I was 14, I went through phases where I listened to hard rock, then the next week I was listening to country. Give her a break. She grew up with a musical father who liked all kinds of music. What else do you expect?

Ashley.. how about you stop responding to all the genetic makeup posts? How about YOU give it a rest? It’s way more annoying to read your constant defense of these people (as if they even need it) than to read someone’s stupid conspiracy theories.

14. Patia

Oh s***! Here comes the crazy MJ fans! All commenter’s please prepare yourselves! Lol! Bunch of nutso’s who support a kid like she’s a god and she’s done absolutely NOTHING to reserve it. Please lay off the “she’s a 14 year old girl” phrase. Nobody cares that she’s just 14. She’ s in the spotlight because her mouth won’t keep her out of it.

• Someone

I’m not a MJ fan and I don’t really care who she is…all I’m saying is that we all said stupid things when we were kids. Looks like you say stupid things to this day.

• Ashley

There is NOTHING wrong with defending a child against a bunch of people who don’t know her from Adam. She says Michael was her bio dad, Michael said he was her bio dad, Debbie said Michael was her bio dad, and Prince has vitiligo like Michael had. THAT is enough proof for me. YOU maybe need to reevaluate your life if you think it’s ok to come in here and CONSTANTLY pick on a child because you don’t think she’s her parent’s biological child. SICK.

I don’t need proof of anything because it has no effect on me. Why does this have such an effect on YOU?

• Ashley

Because I have actual human emotions and feel it’s unfair that these children are being treated so horribly. Grown adults (I’m assuming) calling these kids awful names and making fun of them because they don’t think Michael was their biological father. WTF is wrong with people? You wouldn’t like people saying those things about your kids, assuming you had any, would you?

15. NYC Mommy

the most telling thing in interview is that Janet is telling her to wait to act you only are a kid once but LaToya is all jumping up and down encouraging her. Janet= rational adult who was a child actor LaToya= historically the nut of the family

16. sally

1. I agree the airbrushing is a little out of control in this picture. Why can’t magazine’s support natural, everyday looking teenagers? It would do much more to boost the moral & self-confidence of other children/teenagers. Paris is a beautiful girl, anyway. Let’s celebrate natural beauty, Amour (or any magazine for that matter.

2. “She is 14,” is the most appropriate phrase to describe Paris. Whoever said stop using that phrase, was obviously never a 14 year old. Can you imagine if we ever had the opportunity to “go on record” about our opinion of something at 14? We would have been totally serious about (as is Paris) & determined to make someone else understand. That’s what teenagers do. As a teenager, that is when you are figuring yourself out. You decide what music you like, what styles.. etc & then you change them. That’s the great thing about being an individual. You are entitled to change your mind whenever you want to, without a real cause.

3. As for her “career”. I know Janet is speaking from personal experience, because she lost her childhood due to Crazy Joe. She wishes that if she could do it all over again, she had a childhood of her own. As with any teenager, they have their own opinions of what they think they should do & don’t necessarily want to listen to anyone that disagrees. So let her try. If she fails, she fails, but why not let her try. So normal, it’s almost text book. La Toya, is trying to be supportive of Paris’ interests. I think it’s important to have a balance in your life. When you have two parents/role models in your life, they might have differing opinions that would offer a child a more balanced life instead of all the way to one side or the other.

4. Who cares who her “biological father” is?! Plenty of people are adopted & don’t know who either parent might be. Let that one rest, already!

17. Lulu

This picture of her is actually a little freaky – does not even look like her. What’s with her eyes??? She looks much better just walking on the street with no posing…this picture does not do her any good.