Jessica Simpson: I Had A Lot Of Pressure To Lose The Baby Weight

jessica-katie

New mom Jessica Simpson made her much-anticipated return to the spotlight since welcoming 4-month-old daughter Maxwell on Monday’s episode one of Katie, Katie Couric‘s new show.

“I’m very nervous!” the singer-fashion designer, 31, admitted. “I just had a lot of pressure on me to lose the baby weight. Today was one of my goals: getting here, feeling comfortable. I feel beautiful today!”

All eyes were on Jessica, who looked lovely in a form-fitting black mini-dress with a flared waist and black pumps.

“Motherhood is a dream,” gushed the new mom, who had baby Maxwell with fiancé Eric Johnson. “It really is absolutely amazing. She had her first flight yesterday. Did not sleep! She didn’t cry. She just wanted to babble.”

Katie asked if there are any wedding plans in the works.

“We have not set a date,” the Fashion Star mentor said. “It won’t be this year. We haven’t had time! I really want to do a big fun wedding with my friends and family.”

And how is Eric adjusting to fatherhood?

“People call him the best dad in the world. Even my dad calls him that!” Jess boasted. “He can do everything. He can change every diaper . . . he’s just a very peaceful person.”

As for her postpartum weight-loss, Jessica admitted, “It definitely is a challenge.”

“I didn’t really think about it,” she added. “All the weight did not come off with the baby! I’ve had to really stay focused on my diet and really concentrate on what i’m putting in my body.”

Announcing that she’s lost more than 40 lbs. since giving birth, Jessica said, “My doctors told me it was a lot of water, and when my water broke … All the weight did not come out with the baby. I had to stay focused on my diet. I want to be as healthy as I can because I’m a mom now.”

She added: “I put on more baby weight than I was planning on putting on. I really have to separate myself from the world’s expectations and really just look inside myself and be healthy with myself. . . I want to be a phenomenal role model for my child.”

Filed under: Jessica Simpson

Photo credit: Disney-ABC/Ida Mae Astute/ Pacific Coast News

1. laura

she seems very focused and hers is a good approach!

2. Myla

I just wish she would lose that barbie hair of hers. She’s only relevant because of this Weight Watchers goal. Fashion designer? She’s more credible if she wears her own line, but nah that would never happen. I would like to see her carry a Jessica Simpson bag and wear a Jessica Simpson pair of shoes!!! At least Victoria Beckham wears her own clothing line and so does Nicole Ritchie. This lad is the same as the Kardashians.

3. Debsa

Spanx!

4. Kamila

I think she’s full of crap about how she’s only 10 lbs off her pre-baby weight. Looking at the pic, it’s a bit obvious she is stlll a lot bigger than she was right before she got pregnant. I am NOT knocking her because I have a 6 month old daughter and I gained 60 lbs (10 lb baby) but I don’t believe for a second that she only gained 50 lbs. I think it was more like 70-75 lbs. I think it’s a marketing ploy and they are BSing us to make us believe she lost all that so fast on WW. Puh-lease. I can def sympathize with her statements about how it “didn’t come off with the baby”. Many of us make that mistake with a 1st pregnancy and forget that after that initial post-partum phase, it will be a long road back to our regular size.

I think it’s possible she’s only 10lbs heavier than her pre-pregnancy weight, because let’s face it – her pre-pregnancy weight was that great either. If you’re talking about her Newlywed/Daisy Duke days, well, that’s another story.

Correction – pre-pregnancy weight *wasn’t* that great either.

• Kamila

You’re right, she wasn’t at her thinnest but if you look at pics, it’s super clear that she’s lying about how much weight she’s lost and how much she still needs to lose. It’s not her shape/size/weight that bothers me, it’s the lying (like others here are saying) and the fact that she’s only been photographed wearing black and it seems like some heavy duty spanx. 4 months is not a lot of time to lose the baby weight. I just hate that she’s trying to pull the wool over our eyes and tell us that she’s “one of us” with her millions and trainers and nannies. A personal trainer 4 times a week is expensive, we’d all look great if we spent a grand a week on training with Harley. I think she looks great compared to how big she was at the end but there’s NO way she only gained 50 lbs like she says. She was well over 200.

5. HElen

“I didn’t really think about it”…what a load of B.S. Good on her for losing the weight but don’t act as if it wasn’t intentional. She contradicts herself anyway talking about how focussed she was.

6. Anonymous9

Well, there wouldn’t have been so much pressure if you hadn’t signed a $4 million deal with WW. If you’re going to make that choice, don’t whine about it.

7. Belle

She looks very matronly in this outfit, especially with the long sleeves. I think she did her best to hide her weight (double Spanx) on this appearance. Even the outfit she wore in the airport pictures was very matronly and all black to cover up her body.

I agree she doesn’t look like she is only 10 pounds above pre-pregnancy and can’t understand why she can’t just live up to it now. You picked out during pregnancy and now it’s taking a while to take off the weight – welcome to being a normal woman.

8. al.tex

I think she looks great and is still as pretty as ever!!!! WTG Jess!

9. Saylor

I deeply resent the way in which she and her family have always lied. She gained FAR more weight than she is admitting and, she is still FAR heavier than she was before pregnancy. Clearly she wore tigh undergarments and also wore all black in order to try to camolauge her true shape but if you look carefully, you can see that her knees, thighs, hips, and butt are still quite large and matronly. Her chest is also still very large, adding to her disproportionate post baby shape. Lots of women let themselves gain too much weight during pregnancy. The fact that she’s heavy or human is not what bothers me. What bothers me is that she is so dishonest about it. In some of the paparazzi pics, she looked like she was well over 200 pounds duing her last trimester and I truly believe that she was. She looked almost as big as Kirstie Alley. Not quite, but not too far away from that either. Her body was HUGE. Today, she definitely looks much better. She isn’t what I’d call huge anymore but she is definitely still very frumpy. She has a lot of work to do on herself. She should start not with her body, but with her character because Jessica Simpson is a pathological liar who has always and sadly, probably WILL always pretend to be something she is not.

10. Lisa

I think the outfit isn’t a very inspired one. She looked thinner at the airport.

She looks good but what’s with the hair?? It’s white blonde and looks like she has some tacky bump-it in.

12. Anon

Did none of you people who are judging actually WATCH the program? She never said she has only 10 pounds to lose before being at pre-pregnancy weight. She said she has 10 lbs to lose to be at a GOAL. Big difference.

13. megan

I lost 70lbs on WW, I can tell you it took a hell of a lot longer than a couple months. She must be wrapped up under that dress.