Ben Affleck: “I Don’t Want To Be A Stay-At-Home Dad”

affleck_jacket_harticle_embed

Dad-of-three Ben Affleck covers the October issue of Details and opens up about his “very patient” wife Jennifer Garner and juggling his career with their three children: Violet, 6, Seraphina, 3, and Samuel, 6 months.

On his passion: “Now everything has to compete with being with my family. I don’t want to be a stay-at-home dad. Work is very important to me. I like to work. So does my wife. But I need my work to mean something to me in order for me to not be home with them.”

On juggling career and family: “Anytime you think, ‘I’m wasting my time here,’ the first thought you have is, ‘I could go home and be with my kids. Now, you may go home and be with your kids and very quickly start thinking, ‘I wonder what’s on the work front?’ Because running around after three kids is very trying.”

On his overactive mind & supportive wife: “I’m not very present in the rest of my life. My wife’s very patient. She does everything. If I have time, I try to spend time with the kids, even if just to be a physical presence, the bath, whatever. But my mind’s always going, “How are we going to light that shot tomorrow? What’s the master shot for that scene? Is there even going to be a master?” Just ruminating endlessly. Because for me—I wish it was discipline or being a great artist. But it’s just anxiety.”

For more from Ben, go to Details

Filed under: Ben Affleck,Featured

Photo credit: Details

1. jen

Hue! I used to like Ben, but this interview sounds really bad..
    He’s like: “Yeah, I want to continue to impregnante my wife and make more babies, but I don’t wanna be bothered staying with them… I’ll leave them to Jen and go to work, which is more interesting”..
    I’ll give him the benefice of the doubt but just because the Afflecks are one of the nicest celeb-fams, but this sounds really bad..

2. ellie

Hey right Ben who has no director movies to think about just some online poker movie next year other than than that nota thing! So why not take time with your
    Kids ! You wanted ur son but never bring him out and now u want another one?

So stop saying that at least Jlo spends time with her kids and has the time to
    Be do things!

3. Lisa

Before anyone comments on any of the “quotes” I suggest you do what I do and actually go to the Details article this is taken from. You will get a very different perspective, one that lets you know his family is #1 priority. This is just “taking the quotes out of context so we can get a lot of comments” bit of cynical reporting that this website is sinking too, along with almost the exact same ones as People, so celebrity baby scoop isn’t even being original with the bad reporting.

4. Mona

My god!! He said that comment about his presence regarding the time when HE’S SHOOTING the movie that he direct! Not all yr long ppl!! he shot Argo sept-mid nov last yr and we still saw him out with his family on the weekends in the farmers market! The way this site puts it is soo unfair to Ben and taking it out of context!

Do yourselves a favor and read the whole interview or at least the question that he was asked before judging him!

5. Guest

He should have kept his mouth shut. “I’m not very present in the rest of my life.” Who says that? I pity Jen. He admits she does everything. I so dont like him like now.

6. Daddy Ben

Don’t forget the Gigli and Jlo questions good thing he has no more work !
    What next spooning with Jimmy Kimmel! Still talks about that 2. Long answers for Jlo Gigli .he might look great but this is his last chance…Jen always talks about how he
    Loves to put the kids to bed.. And read the stories and plays with them ! Bet the 2002
    Writer for details added his own details to the article or it would be way to boring for
    The writer!

7. j ewing

Wow – totally taken out of context is right! It’s actually quite slimy to take a perfectly good interview, pull a few quotes out and highlight them so everyone can think he’s some horrible father who doesn’t want to be around his kids. And of course, it’s working judging by some of the comments here. Don’t believe everything you read!

8. sandee

Taking quotes from interviews and reprinting them out of context is nothing new. The site just wants to generate controversy — i.e. lots of hits, comments and therefore $$$. As someone else suggested, read the whole interview in the original publication and you will see that these quotes are a very small part of the interview.

Ben has never looked like he was happy with Jen and the kids. He is always scowling. It’s always been apparent that he is just a Dad in name only.

10. gina

here’s the question from the

DETAILS: When you’re shooting, are you the kind of guy who goes to sleep thinking about the movie?

Ben Affleck: Always, always

so he has A type a personality .doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about his family.JUst his work is on his mind most of the time.