Usher Opens Up About Custody Battle

usher-is-superdad

“I’m not an absentee father,” Usher insisted today, fighting back against his ex-wife Tameka Foster‘s claims that he puts his career ahead of his kids.

After a lengthy and heated custody battle, the ‘Scream’ singer was awarded primary custody of the couple’s sons Usher V, 4, and Naviyd Ely, 3, last month. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired this evening, Usher spoke for the first time about these past difficult months.

“This will be the only time that I’ve ever chosen to speak about it,” he said. “I’ve been a man of integrity throughout the entire process, which I hope my boys will understand. That’s the way to go. That’s the way to be.”

Their relationship was surrounded by controversy almost from the start. Their 2007 wedding was called off at the last minute when Usher’s own mom refused to attend, though they went on to tie the knot in a private ceremony just a couple of weeks later. A few months after that they welcomed their first child.

“When we had Usher V, it was by far the most incredible moment of my life. I couldn’t have been more happy,” Usher, 33, revealed. “After that, I did get a great sense of the insecurities that were there and the fact that she wasn’t coping well with being in this position, being married to Usher, and all that came with that.”

Though he says that they did see a marriage counselor, Usher eventually filed for divorce in 2009, less than two years after their second son Nayvid was born.

“Let’s put aside all of the issues that come with being a celebrity and having married someone that people don’t approve of. You have at-home problems with communication, with understanding of how things go. It is hard being married.”

“I didn’t know how to balance it. It was obviously too much for me,” he explained. “I didn’t want to get to the point where I would cause myself harm or do anything that I felt like would be harmful to me, so I couldn’t stay in it.”

The divorce kicked off a custody battle that saw Tameka allege that her ex is in fact an absentee father. It’s a charge that the singer strongly denies.

“Absentee from the aspect of having to go and work, that probably would be her version or idea what absentee would be. But no, I’m not an absentee father at all,” he says, adding, “I was born to do what I’m doing as a dad.”

Having been raised without a father figure around, Usher explains that he is intent on being present for his own children: “Having not had a father wasn’t a reason not to be a good father. That was all of the reason to be a good father because I didn’t have one. Every bit of who I have become and the way I think I have handled these things represents the example for how I would like for my boys to be able to do things.”

Filed under: Featured,Usher

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

He should have stayed quiet. He doesn’t owe anyone an explanation.

2. Taylor

He is a total piece of shit and paid off the judge. He took these babies from their loving mother because he is a selfish pig. Not only did he steal her children due to his fame and money- but she just lost her oldest Son to a terrible accident that she had nothing to do with. How can he even call himself a MAN- a selfish asshole man who takes away children from their mother….KARMA- I hope it takes every bit of his life from him!

• Dah Dah Dah

Tameka, get off the computer!

1. if she such a loveing mother why didn’t she have custody of her other children?

2. They had shared custody so he didnt take anything and she must be a selfish pig too because she was try to take those babies from their loving father.

3. He tried to have the court case put on hold but the judge said no, it’s been reported in the case documents.

To say you hope he dies just shows what a wack job you really are and care nothing about those boys.

Now as for him playing innocent is BS he played the media just as much as she did.

3. hillary

I love it when he says he is choosing not to speak about his marriage and yet here he is dumping it out. What a load of junk! He probably was never around and had it coming to him.

4. Sha

It infuriates me that women want equality, it works both ways. Why does a mother have more right to hav sole custody of her children over the father? Being a mother, people always assume they are the better parent. Men always have to prove they’re good fathers. They have the odds against them from the beginning, with very short paternity leave. This government, this society makes it difficult for men to be as active in their children’s lives.

I don’t know the whole truth, we never will and its not for us to judge. I can’t imagine what she went through when she lost her son. Not enough men when to be present, positive role models in their children’s lives and the ones that do still get slack.

I hope they can both heal and move forward and raise their children the best they can.

5. Adizzle

Usher is full of shit. Wat kind of man would take his children from their mother rite after she buried her child. So insensitive. But hey. Wat goes around comes right back around.

6. GINA

PEOPLE SAY HE IS WRONG FOR TAKING THE BOYS FROM THEIR MOTHER, IS IT RIGHT FOR HER TO TAKE THEM FROM HIM? SHE PROBABLY JUST WANT SOLE CUSTODY SO SHE CAN CONTINUE TO COLLECT CHILD SUPPORT SINCE HER OTHER CHILDREN ARE GETTING OLDER AND THE MONEY WILL RUN OUT FOR HER, ITS HIS CHILDREN AS MUCH AS HERS AD IF HE WANTS TO BE THERE FOR THEM LET HIM.