Tori Spelling Undergoes Emergency Surgery

tori-spelling-dean-mcdermott

Just weeks after her fourth Cesarean section, Tori Spelling has been hospitalized for emergency surgery.

“Tori underwent emergency surgery over the weekend due to complications from her C-section,” PEOPLE reports. “She remains in the hospital and is resting comfortably.”

The Beverly Hills, 90210 alum welcomed son Finn on August 30, which was not only her fourth C-section, it was her second within a year. Tori and husband Dean McDermott’s daughter Hattie arrived last October.

The Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood stars are also parents to daughter Stella, 4, and son Liam, 5.

Shortly after the birth of Hattie, Tori opened up to Celebrity Baby Scoop about having multiple C-sections, admitting she’s “sad” she didn’t experience natural birth.

“I hate when people say, ‘C-section is so Hollywood.’ If I could’ve, I would’ve chosen a natural birth,” Tori said. “That’s what I wanted to do. It does make me sad that I won’t be able to experience it because I’m the type of person that likes to experience everything – bad or good, pain or not, I want to experience it all. And let me just say that a C-section is no walk in the park! Everyone thinks it’s so ‘she-she.’ It’s major surgery and the recovery is much longer and harder and painful. So I definitely wouldn’t have chosen it if I had the opportunity.”

Filed under: Featured,Tori Spelling

Photo credit: AKM-GSI

1. DoesntMatter

I’m not a doctor or anything but I would assume having so many kids so close together would pose somewhat of a health risk eventually. I hope shes ok tho!

2. Anna

I can’t let that ‘she she’ slide. It’s chi chi. As you were.

3. kao

most doctors and midwifes would NOT recommend having more then 3 c-sections…the more you have the higher risk of complications! also 2 in 1 year! i mean come on..whos her doctor?! also i dont understand why she never had a VBAC..i had a emergency c-section with my 1st but my midwife and doula both said i can have a VBAC with my other children if i wanted…most doctors dont tell women that and they end up getting multiple c-sections which is not good!! it doesnt have to be “all natural” or c-section..you can have a vaginal birth and still get pain meds if you want..it doesnt have to be one way or the other…shes hurting herself and her body by having kids so close together and by having so many c-sections…she needs to get this thing called Birth control and stop having kids for awhile..let her body rest..it needs it!

• DoesntMatter

U are soooo right! Shes so busy trying to ‘keep’ Dean with all these kids shes not worrying enough about her own health..

• Alex Walker

A friend of mine had a crushing pelvic injury when she was 18 and HAD to have all four of her children by c-section. VBAC was not an option so try not to judge “kao”

• SaraLee

I know I had an un necessary c/s for first and attempted a vbac that didnt happen b/c I fail to labor. Ppl way back in day when medicine/surgery was not up to what it is now that had multiple c/s. Drs recommend no more than 3, but if you are healthy and not a fat lazy slob you can have more than that. I tried to vbac she may have too don’t knock it,it doesnt always work. I hope shes.alright and on the mend:) it is hard recovery even when nothing goes wrong. I do agree it was not/is not safe to have them that close together-they usually recommend 12-18months to get pg again earliest 6mo.

• amy

we don’t know her reasons for having a c-section, and we don’t know that she hasn’t actually tried a VBAC and ended up with a c-section anyways.

i agree that having 2 c-sections in less than a year is a lot on a body, but i’m one of those people who thinks having two kids within two years (let alone one) is too close (for ME).

i’m not going to sit here and say what she would’ve done, etc. i hope that she recovers quickly and that whatever the issue was, that it wasn’t anything major.

• she

There are many people who cannot every have a vaginal birth and one of the most common reasons is called cephalopelvic disproportion. Look it up. It’s when there is just not enough room in the pelvis for a baby to pass through. Do your homework before you judge. I begged my doctor for a VBAC and he said it was not possible for even a small baby to pass through because of the shape of my pelvis. And I never even had an injury or anything–just the way God made me and never knew until tried to have my first baby vaginally. That’s why most women have c-sections!!! Because for some reason or another a vaginal birth is a risk to their health! Only a crazy person would elect to have a c-section—it is major surgery! And on that note I almost died after my first child because of an infection from the c-section, which again was something I had no choice in.

• DoesntMatter

I dont think anyone is judging her bc she may not be able to have kids vaginally BUT the fact that she had a C-section and THEN got pregnant again within a couple months so soon after is whats worrying..

It’s her body so why are you so worried about it? What you really mean is that you judge her for it. Unless you are in her family, her decision to have another child has no bearing on your life.

• I think it’s important to consider that with cases especially like CPD that you really cover all basis and get all the facts. While CPD does happen in cases like Rickets, traumatic injuries like car wrecks, etc, it’s is oh so rare. I’ve met SO many women who were told in one way or another that their babies were ‘too big’ or their pelvises ‘too small’ and go on to VBAC larger babies (sometimes up to 2lbs larger) than the their first.

There are a lot of factors with CPS, the babies position in the pelvis, the mother’s position to widen her pelvis, the allotment of time, the diet of the mother, etc.

It is highly rare that our bodies build a baby knowing it needs to birth it, that is too big for it to pass through.

For more info: http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/cpd

I’m not saying this wasn’t true for you, but this a frequent fear that plagues our birthing mothers in our society that really needs a lot of clearing up.

• Carol the long winded

How long have you been treating Ms. Spelling? We don’t know why she needed her c sections.

• Jackee

I have had three c-sections. I had to have an emergency c-section with my first delivery and I wanted to have a VBAC with my second pregnancy but I developed diabetes so I had to have a c-section and once you have two c-sections you have to continue having c-sections for another pregnancies. I do agree with you that a women’s body needs to rest for a few weeks after childbirth.

4. anon.

Well when you keep having babies cut out of you instead of having them naturally, what do you expect.

5. anon.

I hope this was not because she was having sex with her hubby two weeks after giving birth and her stitches came out.

with these two anything is possible.

6. chrisii

They should have had some sense and used protection!

• blanca

or they can choose to do whatever they please, as it is their family and their decision to make.

i do not understand why ANYONE thinks that they have the right to tell another person what she should do in regards to having children, and i never will. i’m pretty sure tori new that having a fourth c-section was risky. is your judgement really necessary at this point? her baby is here, let it go.

7. anonymous

I wouldn’t doubt her doctor has told her 4 c-sections are about her limit. I used to hear more than three was not recommended but was denounced when I mentioned that on here. So whoever jumped on my case, go suck a lemon.

• Daniella

That very question came up in all of my medical classes that involved human reproduction: how many c-sections is safe for a woman to have? And every doctor/professor said the exact same thing: no more than three because of the scarring & thinning of the tissues that have to be cut during a c-section. That’s a lot of stress on a woman’s body, especially if the c-sections are close together (less than one or two years apart). And the risk of complications increase very, very sharply after the third c-section.

People can say whatever they please on here, but I’m going to defer to the men & women with 8+ years of medical schooling & dozens of years of on-the-job experience on this subject.

8. rita

It seems kind of odd to make this public — I can understand announcing her kids’ births since she is a reality star and it’s part of the game, but emergency surgery? Some things should be kept private.

9. SMH

I honestly believe our bodies are not meant for the wear and tear that child birth causes esp not ones that result in c-sections. I hwve a friend that had 2 c sections and her dr already advised against a 3rd pregnancy but she is willing to take the risk. We have to know our bodies and our limitations. A baby is a huge blessing and Finn was meant to be here but she has 4 kids she needs to be here for. Hope she is done after this scare!

10. Tol

That is because C- section is a serious surgery, and it’s not like you can have one every fu*king year!

11. Karen

It’s her business how many children she has. She loves them and can financially take care of them. I just hope she is okay. Her children need her.

The woman just had emergency surgery. Can’t ANY of you just wish her a speedy recovery without making suppositions about why she had surgery which could have NOTHING to do with the number of c-sections she’s had.

She was in my OB office waiting room last week with her mom candy. She looked great, but I was wondering why she was there since she had already given birth. Guess there were some complications brewing. I hope she has a speedy recovery and gets home to her babies soon.

Ps. Lisa rinna was leaving the office with one of her daughters when tori stepped off the elevator and Lisa squealed Oh My God!!! really loud when she saw tori which made everyone in the room turn their head to see what was going on. Tori clearly wanted some privacy but Lisa kept going on and on and said “I heard you are having a party but I didn’t get my invitation am I invited?!”. Then she turned around and said “hi candy!” and candy smiled a half smile back and said “hi.” Lol. It was hilarious.

14. Carmel

Oh that sucks, not fun at all. Wishing a speedy recovery for her!

15. Flitterbuggin

Poor girl, brave girl!!! I’m from Ontario and have followed you and your family…had a C-section 34 years ago. I know you’re also a smart girl and will do whatever the docs say to recover….remember this little story: Each day we are given $1.00 worth of energy. We can spend it all at once, or spend 5 cents at a time…spread out your energy and you’ll get better faster. $1,00 = relapse, 5 cents = recovery.

Hugs and love.

16. coco

any news?

17. Althea

Well, there are a lot of people here willing to give their unprofessional opinion. As a medical professional who had two c-sections, then three nice VBACS, I can confirm that you don’t “have” to have a c/s after 2 previous. You just have to really, really want a vaginal birth. Having said that,
    Every situation. Is individual and we are not privy to all the medical information that led to the second and third sections. If there is less than a year between pregnancies you would be very hard pressed to find a caregiver who would offer a VBAC as the uterus has not had enough healing time. My 6th pregnancy was also a complete previa with ten weeks hospitalization, multiple haemorrhage and a crash section. My heart goes out to Tori Spelling because it was absolutely the hardest experience of my life.