Tom Ford & Richard Buckley Welcome Baby No. 1: Alexander John

BAFTA dinner

It sounds like congratulations are in order for Tom Ford and his partner Richard Buckley!

According to LOVE magazine, the designer and his longtime love are the proud new parents of a baby boy named Alexander John Buckley Ford, born in Los Angeles, California on September 23.

Just last year Tom, 51, talked about wanting to be a father, saying that if and when the time came he would be sure to guard his family’s privacy.

“I always said I wanted to have children. And as I got a little bit older, Richard, who I live with – we’ve been together 24 years – did not want children. And so I decided not to have children. But if I have children, no one will know about it until the child is born. And no one will ever see the child because I certainly wouldn’t use it as a press tool. If I have a child, you won’t notice that I had a child. Maybe you’ll see it when it’s 18, but I will keep it out of the spotlight.”

Filed under: Births

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. me

Big mistake if the old guy didnt want children.

It’s always a little sad when you become a father in your 60′s (I believe Richard is 64). You will miss so much of your child’s life. However, I believe Tom and Richard will make amazing parents and Alexander is one lucky little boy.

3. LOL!

That’s one weird lookin’ dude…

4. me

Yep, I read it, did you? It says plainly that Richard did not want children. Doubt he truly changed his mind in his 60′s.

• NYC Mommy

Me- I think Jodi misread your comment since you had if in it. two ways to read that.

I totally agree with your original comment. Maybe his love for Tom overrode him not wanting kids and he is supported Tom since he really really wanted kids.

5. anonymous

I feel bad for that baby. Tom Ford is a vain workaholic who is constantly traveling, and his partner Richard clearly didn’t want children. Poor little Alexander. I hope he has a nice nanny who loves him.

• Lakesha

You don’t believe his parents will love him? This child was no mistake, efforts were made to have him.

• Daniella

Tom Ford sounds like he’s wanted children for quite some time, but his 60-ish partner? Not so much. And there have been plenty of children who’ve been born to one parent who wants them, and another who doesn’t. Heck, maybe Richard has changed his mind, but that just seems pretty unlikely given his age & the above statement.

I don’t doubt that his parents will love him… But I doubt they will be there for him consistently unless Tom ford decides to retire soon which is highly unlikely.

• Dap

Money was spent that for sure (and money will be spent). That doesn’t mean this baby will have enough love and support (especially if one of his old fathers die when he is still a child or a teenager)

6. Penelope

They look like Beavis & Butthead!

7. Daniella

I usually try to give parents the benefit of the doubt, but if Ford’s partner is in his mid-60s & has been adamant for so much of his life about not wanting children, then I really don’t see how that could change so suddenly. If you or your partner doesn’t want children, then you shouldn’t have them. The child is always the one who suffers in those situations.

8. bubbles

OMG! that poor baby has to look at that every day?! save Alexander NOW!!!

9. Blah

F-R-E-A-K-Y

10. Penelope

Holy crap, I don’t know who these two guys are but WTF?? is with that guys head on the left???? He looks like he has the head shape of an alien or something!! Again, WTF??

11. Anonymous10

Poor baby,

12. K

He’s probably a lovely guy and everyone’s hatin’ on his head lol. I’m not gonna lie, that is a very odd shaped head. Tom is beautiful though :p

13. JustMe

I’m not going to worry about this baby because he will certainly have everything a child could ever need, he will grow up in luxury and have hopefully a wonderful nanny who will be there for him.

14. Lynn in the South

I wish I could un-read this disturbing article and un-see the photo.

15. Andrea

i feel sorry for that baby when i think of think of the psychological damage he will undergo being raised by gay men.

This is just wrong. The mother should ask to have her baby back to protect him,