Melissa McCarthy: I Don’t Want To Pass On Negative Body Image To Daughters

More Celebs at The 64th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles

Mom-of-two Melissa McCarthy opens up about her weight in the latest issue of Good Housekeeping. ”Sometimes I wish I were just magically a size six and I never had to give [my weight] a single thought,” the Bridesmaids star admits.

“But I am weirdly healthy, so I don’t beat myself up about it – it wouldn’t help, and I don’t want to pass that on to my girls,” she adds.

The Gilmore Girls alum, who has two daughters Vivian, 5, and 2-year-old Georgette with her actor hubby Ben Falcone, plays tennis and does Pilates to keep fit and leads a healthy lifestyle.

“I don’t really know why I’m not thinner than I am,” she says. “I don’t really drink soda; I don’t have a sweet tooth, and we eat healthfully at home.”

The Oscar-nominated actress knows she’s not the only woman who struggles with body image.

“Pretty much everyone I know, no matter what size, is trying some system,” she shares. “Even when someone gets to looking like she should be so proud of herself, instead she’s like, ‘I could be another three pounds less; I could be a little taller and have bigger lips.’ Where does it end?”

She adds: “You just have to say, ‘It’s pretty damn good. I am right here at the moment and I’m OK with it. I’ve got other things to think about.’”

The funnylady’s latest flick, Identify Thief, also stars Jason Bateman and Amanda Peet, hitting theaters on February 8, 2013.

Filed under: Melissa McCarthy

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Hallie

if she honestly cannot figure out why her body fat is not lower, then she should see a doctor. she could have a medical issue. i think melissa is awesome and talented, and trust me i know how hard it is to lose weight, but if she is walking around without a clue as to why she is significantly overweight, which she knows isn’t healthy, i think that’s a worse lesson for her children. she needs to see a dr then. not for image, for health.

2. good grief

She’s gotten heavier since Mike and Molly started. She’s kidding herself if she doesn’t realize why she is heavy.

3. HDP

I adore Melissa, but either she’s exaggerating how healthy she is, or she really needs to find the route of her weight problem. She’s amazingly talented, funny and beautiful – but she’s at a very unhealthy weight, and yes – in some ways it will effect her kids if she can’t do something to help it.

“I am weirdly healthy”. There’s nothing healthy about being that overweight.

• Anon

You really don’t know about her health at all, so it’s not fair to say she’s not healthy.

Maybe she’s got strong joints, low blood pressure, perfect cholesterol and the heart of a horse. It *DOES* happen.

5. Jennifer

I think she is a great actress and seems like a wonderful person….but she is very overweight and it’s not healthy to be her size. Maybe portion control…even if you are eating healthy things…or like the healthier things….if you eat way too much of it, you can be out of control… and not being active. But…I think she is so positive and I am sure she is a great mom to her girls!

6. popsykl

well i think she rocks…..and am glad there is a place in hollywood for chubbier girls, who are awesome and funny and awesome and awesome!!!!!!!!!! skinny girls suck dogue’s balls :P

7. There is a lot we don’t know about why people are the size they are and why they put on weight faster and retain it longer than others. I don’t understand why people, especially females, feel free to criticize others about their weight under the guise of health concerns, especially since overall in almost every aspect of our lives, we all adhere to the policy of “surplus is good.” She’s a beautiful woman w/ a loving family and a great job. What’s not to like about this gal and so many others like her?

She’s not that old yet but her “weirdly healthy” status will change eventually as she gets older. It’s inevitable. She’s looking at the possibility of blowing out her knees from the obesity, foot problems, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, acid reflux disease, etc. etc. She must be in some kind of denial if she thinks that she won’t develop any of these problems.