Rebecca Byler: “I Don’t Give A S- -T What Anyone Thinks”

breaking-amish-recap-rebecca-byler-abe-schmucker

Breaking Amish star Rebecca Byler, 20, shocked viewers of the hit TLC series when she admitted that she’s the mother of an infant daughter – and was married before tying the knot on the show – but her new husband Abe Schmucker, 22, is standing by his new wife.

“[Fans] can believe whatever they want, but if they want to know, they can watch the show. If they don’t want to believe, they don’t have to believe it,” she says in a clip in the second half of Breaking Amish: The Shunning Truth reunion special airing Sunday (November 18). “That’s my opinion. I don’t give a s–t what anybody thinks. People have to discuss our lives so much that we can’t even have our own life anymore. They’re making us out to be somebody I don’t even know.”

Costar Sabrina High reasoned that it was inevitable for rumors to swirl about the couple – who lived and attended church in the same area.

“God knows, if me and Jeremiah were in the same community, [fans] would be hooking us up, too,” Sabrina comments, referring to her friend Jeremiah Raber.

As the group collectively defend Rebecca without directly addressing her past history with Abe (the pair have been accused of dating before moving from Lancaster, Penn., to New York City and getting married), Abe takes offense to the fact that fans continue to demand the truth about Rebecca’s daughter.

“That’s what upsets me — like Rebecca said, that’s her daughter. People are talking about [the baby and] people that had nothing to do with the show,” he fumes. “Involving family that does not need to be involved — that are going to have their lives ruined for what we’re doing.”

Breaking Amish is a series that follows five young Anabaptist adults – four Amish and one Mennonite – who move to New York City in order to experience a different life and to make a difficult decision regarding whether to return to their communities or to remain in New York City and face potential ostracism by their family and friends.

Breaking Amish: The Shunning Truth – Part Two airs Sunday (November 18) at 10 p.m. (EST) on TLC.

Filed under: Rebecca Byler

Photo credit: Courtesy of TLC

1. megan

I don’t get it. Where has her child been this whole time? With the father? Did she leave the Amish community…along with her daughter?

2. Tara

It is well known that many of these people were away from the Amish community for years before they even entered the show. There is no way true Amish would have signed up for this (even those on rumspringa). It’s sad that they tries to exploit this nice quiet community.

• Marie

The Amish are notoriously known for running puppy mills. I wouldn’t call them a “nice quiet community.”

• Tara

They don’t bother anyone, keep to themselves, don’t take any government assistance, are the First to come to aid to people in the community and have the ability to forgive like no other. They were the first to offer building assistance to victims of Sandy in the PA, NJ, NY region. You want to start an animal rights debate here then just lump every farmer and agricultural worker in the US. It’s a lifestyle that has lated generations. Unless you have had the pleasure of growing up around these people- you really have no place to judge.

• Marie

They don’t bother anyone? What about the thousands of abused animals? One right doesn’t excuse a wrong. If a murderer dedicated time to help the victims of a hurricane does that excuse the murder? Absolutely not. Stop trying to defend them. Until you have seen this kind of atrocious animal abuse firsthand, then you have NO RIGHT to judge me.

• Tara

It’s a lesson in futility trying to argue with someone who feels they can stand in judgement of a society that had survived for generations and one in which they have offered far more than taken. You believe that their lifestyle is abhorrent to you because it is one you cannot empathize with. That is quite arrogant. I question would you be so bold in condemning Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, African, Mediterranean and west indie cultures for their somewhat primitive practices. Having grown up around the Amish community for 17 years I was witness to their humility, humanitarianism, selflessness and great pride. I too believe that human life far outweighs the life of animals. So I guess I can assume by your intolerant stand that you do not wear any makeup, no leather, no wool, do not eat meat, dairy. Only use lye soap etc. because if not then you are a hypocrite because everything above uses animal and animal products for their industries. Let’s just agree to disagree

• NYC Mommy

Marie, While it is true some Amish are known to run puppy mills : the majority are part of a nice quiet all be it some what ignorant community. I say ignorant due to their lack of formal education (I believe most stop at 8th grade and only vocational school beyond that point)

Dont let the 1 percent ruin the other 99 percent. :)

• Marie

NYC, unfortunately, it’s a lot higher than 1 percent. Many Amish, because of their lack of education and isolation, limit themselves in careers. They are also very primitive in a lot of their thinking, with very traditional gender roles, domestic abuse, and there is a significant amount of the community that have puppy mills. Look it up if you don’t believe me. I’m not saying they all do this but so many do that I have a hard time understanding when people have such highly regarded views of them.

3. SMH

These kids are more of a train wreck then the Jersey shore cast. I truly feel bad for the amish communities. And TLC (the LEARNING channel) should be ashamed for depicting the amish community in such a facetious way!!

4. Lizzie

I was going to start watching the show, but after these comments, I see no point now!

5. Kim

“I don’t give a s–t what anybody thinks. People have to discuss our lives so much that we can’t even have our own life anymore. They’re making us out to be somebody I don’t even know.”

Then don’t expose your life on TELEVISION, moron.

6. Denise

Congratulations to you and Abe. Glad that things are working out. Take care of Abe’s mom Mary, she seems to understand and I think she makes a great English person. Maybe she can live close by, don’t let her go back she is too hip for Armish. I so enjoyed the show and hope to see you all in part three, the catch up. Thanks