Matt Damon Wants To Steer Daughters Away From Acting

"Contagion" photocall in Venice

Matt Damon says he wants to steer his daughters away from acting. The actor recently took part in a Hollywood Reporter roundtable discussion when he talked about Alexia, 14, Isabella, 6, Gia, 4, and Stella, 23 months.

He said, ”I would try to steer my daughters away from acting. Women are in a different business than we are. It is just brutal for women. For men, the roles get really good at 40 and beyond. And that’s when you really start doing your best work.”

He also admits being famous is “jarring”.

He explained. ”When we started writing ‘Good Will Hunting’, I was 22 and Ben [Affleck] was 20 and it came out when I was 27 and he was 25. I always had this theory that you kind of retard emotionally at the moment you become famous. It’s not that you change, the world changes his relationship to you. So your entire reality shifts and that’s a jarring experience and hard to prepare for.”

Damon and Affleck are still great friends. They are currently working on a project based on the story of Boston mobster Whitey Bulger.

Filed under: Matt Damon

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

They can become barmaids like their mother and hopefully snag a rich guy who will take care of them.

2. Daniella

I really don’t understand why actors say this about their kids. Acting in Hollywood is where people like Matt Damon make all of their millions. Not even top-notch surgeons make one-tenth of what these actors & actresses make; so for their kids, continuing to live the lifestyle they’re accustomed to would be almost impossible unless they went into the family business or inherited their parents’ fortunes.

Maybe the Damon girls will be different since Matt & Luciana seem to keep them away from the limelight, but it just seems like the children of actors & actresses always end up trying to get into the business, whether their parents like it or not.

• Marie

They say that because they know what a cut throat and superficial business it is. Money isn’t everything. These people have no privacy and you have to have incredibly thick skin to survive here. I live in L.A. and I wouldn’t want my kids going into acting either. Hollywood isn’t “real.” It’s all about materialism.

3. devyn

Pretentious nob.

4. Annonymous

He’s completely right about women are treated way different in acting roles and Hollywood then men! For women it’s brutal but for mean it’s great.

True. Also, most young women’s roles seem to involve involve some degree of nudity, as well. He might like to spare them that. I’m trying to think of successful actresses who have stuck to their strict “no nudity” clauses and not caved at some point in time.

5. Mary

I am a female and I agree with him, thats not syaing women cant do it, it just is brutal!

6. katherine

movie stars love their lack of privacy– that means they are successful–when the whole world is able to see them in film, you can be sure we want to see them in real life-if they are not noticed or followed,their ego will be deflated and they will hire a public relations expert to make sure they get attention

7. Anonymous9

I guess it never occurred to him that, as a writer, director and producer, he could help to end that unfortunate situation.