Tia Mowry: “Yes, My Son Co-Sleeps with Us”

instagr.am

Doting mama Tia Mowry talks co-sleeping in her latest iVillage blog, admitting that she and her husband Cory Hardrict still share a bed with their 16-month-old son Cree.

“Okay, I’m gonna admit it! And I am not afraid to admit it: Cree still sleeps with Mom and Dad,” she writes. “There, I said it! But let’s be honest — I was not always confident with such a statement.”

Tia says that she felt plenty of pressure from other moms not to co-sleep, but she feels that in the end it turned out to be the best option for her family. As a busy working mom, she writes, “sleeping with Cree helped me feel more connected and created even more of a bond.”

She does admit that there are a couple of complications, though, like lack of sleep and “alone time” with her husband. When it comes to the latter, Tia says that she’s learned to “be creative,” writing, “Hey, I’ve always wanted to have whoopie in other areas of the house, right? Here’s our excuse to explore! The closet now does not seem so bad!”

Despite all of the advice to skip the family bed, Tia says it works well for them: “At the end of the day, you have to do what’s best for you and your family. Every family is different with different desires and needs. It’s not the end of the world if you decide to co-sleep and it’s okay to not co-sleep.”

Filed under: Cree Hardrict,Tia Mowry

Photo credit: Twitter

1. anonymous27

My son slept with my husband and I for the first 7 years of his life. We always slept well and never suffered from lack of sleep. When my son decided that he wanted to have sleepovers with his friends, he moved into his bedroom and never slept with us again. He is now a very well adjusted 23 years old, who lives on his own. Life goes very quickly. I believe everyone should do what works for them. I would do the same thing over again. Actually, I wish my son was still little. Time flies :-)

A kid sleeping with his parents for the first 7 years of his life is absolutely ridiculous.

3. sara

Before I had kids I said I would NEVER co-sleep… then I had kids. And you know what? Co-sleeping worked for us with some of our children. As a parent, you learn to go with the flow and do what works for you. As a woman, you learn to say to others, “This is our family, our choices” and occasionally have to add, “Butt out” to the end of that sentence.

Good for her for standing her ground and doing what is right for them. At the end of the day, you just need to know that you are doing what is right for your family, your child and your spouse.

• Kasey1

Agreed. Just see how your child does in both situations and whichever both you, your child, and your partner respond best to, go with that. There are pros and cons to both, just like there is everything else. But, do what’s best for YOUR family (and take a little advice here and there) but at the end of the day, always remember it’s your bed, your decision.

• anonymous27

Wonderful comment!

4. Daniella

Co-sleep if you want to, don’t co-sleep if you don’t want to. My family (including the extended ones) doesn’t co-sleep largely due to personal preferences, familial habits & a fear of rolling onto the baby (this actually happened to & killed one of my great-grandmother’s younger sisters). I’ve known children who co-slept with their parents for the first year or so & they turned out fine. I personally will not co-sleep for various reasons, but that’s my choice & other parents should do what works best for their family.

5. ellie

I don’t want to be rude or judgmental and I admit I’m not a mother or a wife, but I talk a lot with people and read a lot, and thinking with a bit of common sense I would say that a lot of parents work both all day, they just see each other at night, so the night, after putting the baby to bed, is the only time when they can have some intimacy..
    I mean, I agree that you have to think about what works best for your family and every family is different, but I think that a lot of times the relationship between the parents is ruined because of the lack of intimacy..
    So I would say it’s ok if your child is your priority, but alone time with your partner has to be important too.. And I don’t mean just the act of sex, it’s the intimacy that comes with having your nice bedroom all to yourself, and falling asleep into your partner’s arms, everything that comes with it.. Maybe it’s silly, but it’s my feeling about it.

6. Mike

Ahh, allowing your child to sleep with you : tha’s Taboo; not natural! I never slept w/my parents! The thought is totally unnatural! I know tons of people I grew up with who did not have any trouble sleeping in their own bed!