Jada Pinkett Smith Defends Daughter Willow

"Madagascar 3" photocall

Despite public criticism and heavy scrutiny, Jada Pinkett Smith is not about to tell her daughter Willow what she can and cannot do with her hair. Addressing the controversy via her official Facebook page, the 41-year-old Matrix Revolutions star writes:

“This subject is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete. The question why I would let Willow cut her hair. First the ‘let’ must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are her domain.”

“Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair,” Jada continues. “It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the right to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires.”

“Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be.”

Will Smith, 44, addressed similar concerns during a May interview with Parade magazine.

“When you have a little girl, it’s like how can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world,” the Men in Black III actor explains. “She has got to have command of her body. So when she goes out into the world, she’s going out with a command that is hers. She is used to making those decisions herself. We try to keep giving them those decisions until they can hold the full weight of their lives.”

Even Willow herself spoke up for herself via her 2012 single I Am Me.

“Days pass I’m trying to find who I really am. I’ve been looking people don’t like the way I dress. I dyed my hair and it’s not just vanity. Your validation is not that important to me.”

Filed under: Featured,Jada Pinkett-Smith

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Angela

I love this family. They treat their children as their equals, and not their property. I think that sometimes people forget that even though children are younger, they still deserve the same amount of respect that adults are given.

I agree but sometimes you have to draw the line. You can’t let them do ANYTHING they want. Because if that’s the case, then what does she need parents for?

• Tara

I agree. One of the major problems with kids is that they need limits set and actually want them. You have to allow them freedoms in order to mature but I have a feeling jada is trying to be willows friend and not her mother. That being said they seem like good kids.

• laura

I completely agree with you (as happens in a lot of posts, Tara): I like the concept of kids let be the master of themselves, but parents are there for something, they should still draw some limits.
        In this case, though it’s also true- like somebody in the following comments says- that it’s hair, it grows back, it’s nothing permanent..

• Tara

Thanks Laura. It’s nice to hear- usually there is this one poster who slams anything I say- it’s high school all over again:). Anyway completely agree about trying to balance your role. I am a firm disciplinarian but choose my battles carefully. You have to know when to give in and when not to….am still learning this.

• Anon

Really depends on what you are drawing the line in the sand for. Picking battles. Hair just may not be an important battle to this family,.

i agree i mean yea there rich but when u let them do anything and show no type of parent control in their lives they not only no how to handle the world but they know how to make more mistakes because they now think mom and dad didnt care so why should the world but there not my kids or my responibility

I love Jada’s comments. The way a lot of girls are raised results in their making poor life choices that affect their entire future.

4. sel

I’m struggling to get to grips with this concept. Of course, i fully understand their comments in a intellectual way, but logically speaking, I don’t know if the intentions of such parenting will better a equip a childs journey through this crazy journey we call life. It seems very fanticiful. But hey, who am I to talk. There is no instructional on how to parent correctly. I truly enjoy this family ;will is an amazing actor and seems like a genuinely nice guy, and willow possesses the type of confidence that is seldom present in people three times her age. I wish this beautiful family much success with all their endeavors.

5. Meghan

I mean, I don’t see what the big deal is. Its hair, it will grow back. I don’t see why people are so invested in what she does to her hair. It’s not like they’re letting her get a tattoo or piercings all over her body. Its hair.

6. Anonymous9

Why bring this subject up again? Answer the criticism at the time or let it go; all talking about it months later does is bring the whole issue up again and open up the kid, and your parenting skills, to more internet discussion, and that’s not helping your daughter.

7. .....

So in other words, Willow is allowed to do whatever she wants….

8. Barb

It would be easier to see this as supportive and enlightened if Willow seemed happy. Unfortunately, she seems miserable. Her clothes that carry slogans like “I hate everything” are NOT a sign of a happy kid, especially not when coupled with her angry, hostile expressions. One might say that Willow is crying out for limits and guidance.

9. Landry

Dear Lakesha, we’re all entitled to our opinions and we don’t have to run them by you before committing to them so shut the hell up and get over yourself.

10. Chollaberry

More Scientology BS.

I’m nowhere near a Scientologist (or any religion for that matter) and I agree with Jada.

If you really feel you have to control everything your child does with their hair (for example), you have a serious control problem.

11. Veep

Along with the soft skills Jada keeps going on about – most parents seek to fortify their kids with real brainpower. How are they doing at school? On track for the ivies? Are they multilingual? Do they play a musical instrument? Excel at creative writing, math, spelling, or anything aside from their Hollywood careers and their self-proud uniqueness of style? If yes, then Jada should speak more about that instead of all this other b.s.

12. anonymous

go away Jada

Please post your address immediately so we can send the authorities to save you from the person holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read about people you have no interest in!