Scott Wells Adopts 3 Children From Uganda

725007

NFL star Scott Wells is set to have a very Merry Christmas with his new family-of-eight.

“It makes me feel blessed,” Wells told FOX of adopting three orphaned children from Uganda – Caroline, 5, Elijah, 3, and R.J., 2 – with his wife, Julie.

The couple – also parents to Jackson, 9, Lola, 6, and Kingston, 3 – are gearing up for their first Christmas with six children.

“It will be absolute chaos, as it is every Christmas with the kids,” the St. Louis Rams center shared. “I will be lucky if they sleep, because I know how I was as a child. I was up at 5 a.m. trying to catch Santa. It will be pretty special. I’m really excited about it.”

The Wells family went through a lengthy adoption process that included delayed court appearances in the war-torn East Africa country. And almost four months later, the Wells family prepares to celebrate the festive season together.

“Christmas, to me, is all about the kids and the family and seeing the smiles on their faces,” said Wells, who signed with the Rams in March after eight seasons with the Green Bay Packers. “It’s very important, and it’s very humbling to see the three new ones really celebrate their first big Christmas.”

“The thing that sticks out to me is the first time that they saw Christmas lights,” the proud papa said of his new children. “Just driving around, and they’ll see houses that are decorated. I think that’s completely foreign to them. I don’t anticipate there are a lot of houses in Uganda that put up Christmas lights. … It has been pretty fun to know that’s really their first experience seeing those things – things we take for granted.”

And according to his teammates, Wells, 31, is an amazing role model for his family.

“Scott goofs around, but he has a big heart,” Rams guard Robert Turner shared. “He’s got a big heart. I haven’t had the chance to meet the kids myself. But it’s something we’ve talked about getting together in the offseason, and I’m looking forward to it. I enjoy him.”

As for the busy dad, he can’t wait to celebrate the season with all six of his kids.

“It makes me feel blessed,” Wells said. “It has definitely made me feel blessed to be able to share that with my kids. It’s huge. Christmas is a special time of the year for us – full of excitement and joy.”

Filed under: Scott Wells

Photo credit: FOX

1. Jenn

What a wonderful story. So nice to read something so happy and positive after all the tragedy.

2. anonymous

This makes my heart melt, what a beautiful family!

3. rowe_wc

Big heart is an understatement. What a beautiful thing to do. He’s set the bar high!

4. popsykl

is america the best place for african children? is america the best place for american children?

• yep

A loving family is the best place for any child ;)

• Lau

Even though I agree that a loving family is the best thing anyone can have, I have to agree 100% with what popsykl is saying.

• Anonymous9

Do a little research on Uganda before you make idiotic comments. You’re showing your ignorance.

• Kiwana

“Do a little research on Uganda before you make idiotic comments” I think you are a big coward. You should have put your name here. And we know what you are talking about, the so called “Kill the gay bill”. Well, do you think those poor kids have a say in what the adults are doing? You mister liberal guy are supposed to be the understanding one but in your ignorance you expose your self as a fool. Why dont you do some research on yourself? You people make me sick!!!

• bailey

You are a moron – you are just as anonymous as someone who uses the literal name, “anonymous”. The name “Kiwana” is meaningless and doesn’t identify you any more than it does for me to choose “bailey”, which is completely made up.

• An33

What does that even mean?! If not America, where would you suggest then? Because America was the only country in the world that experienced slavery or racism (which is still going on today around the world)?!

I don’t post often, but some comments, particularly on such a wonderful story, are absolutely ridiculous…..

5. AvaElizabeth

how amazing <3

6. musiclover

I had no idea who this guy was, but what wonderful people he and his wife are! So many people say they want to make a difference in this world, but he and his wife opened up their hearts and home to not one, but three children. And to me, a child who needs a family needs a family….no matter what country they are from.

7. Lizzig

What a great story brought tears to my eyes. I wish this family a great life together.

8. Joy

never heard of this man but what a wonderful story!