Katharine McPhee Is Glad She Doesn’t Have Kids

The 9th Annual Style Awards

So far, life hasn’t turned out quite the way Katharine McPhee imagined it would. The American Idol runner-up is now starring on the small screen hit Smash, and though she’s happily married to producer Nick Cokas, the pair don’t have children yet. The 28-year-old says she has no regrets about that.

“I once thought that by now I’d have lots of children, but actually I’m really enjoying being able to go from point A to point B and the only worry I have is have my dogs been walked,” Katharine tells Lucky magazine. “I’m selfish right now, but that’s how and where I should be. The thing is, work is the thing I love the most.”

When she’s not working, Katharine reveals that she steers clear of the NYC party scene, explaining, “When you’re on a show like this, one that requires so much singing, you have to be really protective of your instrument. You don’t get to just, like, go out and party all night.”

So where does the multi-talented star hope to be down the road? “In five years I’d love to have done a play and a few movies, and of course I hope Smash keeps going,” she says.

As for kids, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Filed under: Katharine McPhee

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Annie_S

I am actually glad that some people admit the truth. Not like all of the other celebs don’t want children, but i definitely think some of them exaggerate when they say: ‘I want ten kids.’

2. Francis

Well then Katharine, if work is what you love most, then please don’t bring a child into the world if that is not what you really want. I know too many women who are so career oriented, that I am glad they didn’t bring any children into the world. I think it is very selfish, but then again, if that is what you want, all the power to you. When you are 80 years old and yearning for someone to come see you, then it will be too late, won’t it?

• Rosy

I dont see it as selfish at all. Quite simply, some people don’t want children and there’s nothing wrong with that. They don’t have to have children, everybody has different priorities and preferences in life.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both having children and not having children, but whatever somebody does it’s a personal decision and they shouldn’t be criticised for it.

• Jess

She didn’t say she doesn’t ever want to have kids. She said she’s happy she doesn’t have them right now. She should be selfish and career oriented right now. Once you have children, your focus and priorities change.

Oh please. You sound ridiculous. Not everyone wants children and it’s nobody’s business but hers. Even at that, she just said she doesn’t want them “right now”….try and pull yourself out of the 1950′s.

• Bloopie

How is not wanting children selfish? Don’t you think it’s selfish to give birth to five kids when you could adopt? Or give birth to ten because “babies are so cute and cuddly!” ?
      Just saying. Having a child is far more “selfish” than having none.

• Anie

So basically what you´re saying is that EVERYONE should have a child or else they´ll be alone at 80?

• anne

I 100% agree with u

3. AtLongLast

I don’t want her to have kids. Nick is too old. Man is Kat one hot little bruentte tart! Oh McPhee!

4. Anne Marie

Hey Francis, when you are 80 and your 50-something kids are coming to see you, rest assured that they will hate doing it. It will be a burden and you will be a nuisance. They’ll have their own problems and lives, and will put you in as another guilt-laced obligation. Enjoy the visits!

5. sierra

At least she admits that she is not ready for kids yet. And people shouldn’t be seen as crazy or selfish just bc they don’t have children. There is no law that u must have children, and especially with all the danger in the world, it seems more selfish to bring a child into the world than to not have one at all! Sometimes u need to focus on your career and marriage first. When kids come too early it screws things up…16 and pregnant anyone?

• anne

What career first time I have heard of her and she’s old 28 to further he career in a place like hollywood she won’t get anywhere for 28 is like 45.

I have no idea who lea michelle is either, but apparently she just won some award.

The point being: Just being YOU don’t know who someone is doesn’t mean they are not a big success in their career.

6. anne

And she is… first time i very seen this woman..I don’t think she is famous.

@Anne Marie if they are decent people it won’t be a burden but a pleasure, your comment is probably a shining example of yourself!! Is it a burden for you ??? I’m taking that as a yes.

7. anne

And she is… first time I’ve seen this woman..I don’t think she is famous.

8. MChap

Since when has it been selfish to put your career first in your 20s? Good for her! I wish more thought about their careers, getting their life sorted first before having children. That way the children are brought into a more stable and secure environment. If anything it’s less selfish than those who have kids and aren’t ready and expect everyone to pay for them

9. melody

I wanna see her have a girl because she can be SO beautiful just like her mom <3