Uma Thurman On Her Daughter’s Unusual Name

'Playing For Keeps' New York Premiere

Celebrity Baby Scoop readers weren’t the biggest fans of Uma Thurman‘s baby name pick – Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson was voted the least favorite celebrity baby name of 2012 in our year end poll.

The Pulp Fiction star explained her new daughter’s unusual moniker during an appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this week, saying, “My daughter [Maya] came up with the best excuse, which was that I probably wouldn’t get to have any more children, so I just put every name that I liked into [the baby's].”

Though they have five full names to choose from, in the end Uma and her partner Arki Busson just call their daughter Luna.

“We couldn’t quite agree on the name, so we call her Luna,” says the mom-of-three. “She’s lucky that way.”

In addition to daughters Maya and Luna, Uma is also mom to 10-year-old son Levon.

Filed under: Featured,Uma Thurman

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. TabithaFan21

Stupid name and even STUPIDER reason.

Lots of people have more than one middle name. :::Shrug::: No big deal.

3. NYCMommy

that name definitely will not fit on a driver’s license. :)

4. TabithaFan21

More than one middle name, yes but FOUR no. I’m sure you have four middle names too. It’s dumb. I hope when she’s old enough she changes her name. Or they come to their senses and do it sooner.

5. TabithaFan21

Because apparently her mother is an idiot and decided to give her EVERY name she liked because she’s not having anymore kids so she has to use ALL the names at once.

6. M

The only idiots here are the ones who are insulting Uma Thurman for her personal decision.

You can’t possibly know that the child will be harmed in any way, but a sure thing is that she will be harmed by strangers calling it “stupid”. If she ends up loving her name, would you then be happy for her, feel pity because she likes her “stupid” name, or call her an idiot just like you did her mom?

7. Anie

So they gave her all those names and they STILL wont call her by any of them???!!

What´s she got in her brain?? This is way too stupid, poor kid.

8. Kimmy

Why give her that many names and not even call her any of them?

9. nona

The names are fine with me. Plus, I would think that someone called Uma would have insight into the experience of having a culturally unique name. What are the names of the people who don’t like Uma’s choice(s)? Does anyone have actual evidence that a long name is harmful? Even if they do, consider this: as the daughter of an A-list actress and a billionaire, Luna is going to be handed many things; perhaps it’s actually kind of useful to give her one thing she may have to figure out how to maneuver on her own terms.

10. Bloopie

I don’t think it’s harmful or anything, but seriously, why have seven names? I’m all for choosing any name you like (I don’t mind Jessica Simpson having her son named Maxwell for instance) for your child, as long as it’s not going to make them go through hell, but come on. Seven. And I’m pretty sure they’ll never use all of them so … why?

11. Julianna

Well, she’s got options, she could be a different person with each name, that might be fun …

12. Jen

I feel kinda sorry for the baby, having to learn to write all those names! I like the idea of two middle names but personally thats where I’d stop.But to each their own! :)

13. Kasey1

I have two middle names, I wouldn’t call it harmful, but to be honest, it’s kind of ridiculous to give her such a long name (I assume unless it has a family meaning behind it). It’s her kid, her decision (but luckily this is a thread where we come to comment our opinions) but why did they give her all those names to call her “Luna”? I feel like celebrities try to be different or unique but they end up sounding silly when they are picking out names (Apple, Pilot Inspektor, Audio Science, Banjo, etc). Maxwell isn’t a great name, but at least it’s not too ridiculous, even if it is on a girl. Oh well, out of all those names, I like Rosalind. I think Rosie would’ve been cute for a nickname.

14. Daphné C.

“I love all those names to the point that I had to put them on the birth certificate, but not to the point to actually use any of them to call my baby”. Hey, Uma try a little less to sound so intelligent and edgy. You just sound ridiculously vain.

15. Pingback: First Glimpse of Uma Thurman's Daughter Luna