Ben Affleck Will Discourage Kids From Acting

The 24th Annual Producers Guild Awards in Beverly Hills

Some stars are thrilled when their kids want to follow in their footsteps, but Ben Affleck says he hopes that his three children find a different path.

“I would do whatever I could to discourage that,” the Argo actor and director told E! at last night’s Producers Guild of America Awards. “My kids have enough issues of being exposed in ways that I don’t want them to be exposed, in magazines and shows and stuff.”

Picking up the statue for Outstanding Producer, Ben was sure to thank Violet, Seraphina and Samuel, along with their talented mom Jennifer Garner.

“I want to thank my kids, who are lovely and beautiful,” he said. “[And] I want to thank my wife without whom I wouldn’t be able to do anything, let alone direct movies.”

And in what’s become something of a ritual this award season, Ben was again sporting artwork from his daughters on his hands. Asked if the doodles will continue, he laughed, “Probably not all the time. They might get tired of it. They’re just doing it all day long.”

Filed under: Ben Affleck

1. Reni

I am so tired of actors saying that they don’t want their kids to follow in their
    footsteps. If they have such a problem with this work then why do they do it.
    Such hypocrites. They want the money and the luxuries that come with the profession
    Sorry but u cant have it both ways…..

• Meliss

It’s not really hypocrisy. It’s just that sometimes when you chose a career you later realize it’s not all it’s cracked up to be or that they challenges are endless. You want your kids to be happy. My mom is a teacher and has discouraged me from becoming a teacher for years. It’s a lot of work for low pay and can be very thankless sometimes, in addition to kids’ parents not being as involved as they should be. But, if it were my dream or I was gifted at it, she woukd support me, as I’m sure Ben would his children.

2. Sandra

I can’t blame the celebrities who want their children to go in another direction. The children are already being photographed so much at a young age and I can understand why they feel that way. They are put into that position because of their famous parents and so having them go towards what they really feel they want to do gives the children a chance to do what they love and really want to do in their lifetime. Just because the parents are in show business doesn’t mean the children have to be.

• Nicole

I have to play devil’s advocate. That being said, the celebrity parents are the ones that put their kids in that position. If it bothered the parents enough more than they loved the fame and fortune, they would find a different career path.

3. Mary

Great parents and beautiful children.

No one would cast any of his kids in a movie anyway so he has nothing to worry about.

5. Dana

What’s that supposed to mean?

6. Normal

I think it means they are ugly, and all look chinese!

7. Jenn

Wow, that’s really mean…I don’t think it would be the paps or the acting that would give these kids issues, it would be bullies like you saying those kind of nasty things…especially when they get older and can see them in print. You must feel pretty bad about yourself to make such a remark, especially about children.

8. Normal

thanks, I try.

What tv show/movie would Violet be cast in? Ugly Betty? She is a very homely/awkward/unattractive kid. Just my opinion and I know a lot of people agree with me. I hope she grows out of it but she would need a lot of work.

10. Mickey

I am not trying to be mean at all, and I like Ben Affleck and his wife and family very much. His kids appear to have a full, happy life with 2 parents that are very involved. They seem like a good, solid family. But, let’s be honest, kids are people, and like all people– some are amazingly handsome/beautiful and the majority of the rest of us– are just average looking. The Affleck kids are definitely just average looking kids. Not saying they are not smart, great kids, but raving beauties they are not.