Molly Sims: Why I’m Not Breastfeeding

Screen-Shot-2013-01-26-at-12.39.40-PM-500x368

Breastfeeding can be challenging for many new moms, but Molly Sims was in for a real surprise when she first nursed her son Brooks: He had a tooth!

“Early on in the hospital, they really want you to breastfeed, so I’m trying everything,” Molly revealed on Anderson Live. “And I’m like, ‘Gosh, this really, really hurts.’ And they’re like, ‘Oh, we know.’”

She adds: “Come to find out, my baby was born with a tooth!”

Despite the pain, Molly was determined to nurse – and managed to do so for 3 months.

“I did nipple shields, nipple guards, supplemental nursing system, it was horrible,” she admits. “He was literally like a vampire on me for three months — it was unbelievable. Cut to I’m not breastfeeding and I’m proud of it.”

The model mom shared a sweet new picture of her smiley son on her web site MollySims.com this week, writing, “I feel pretty lucky to have not just one but TWO Valentines this year!”

Filed under: Molly Sims

Photo credit: WhoSay, MollySims.com

1. smh

Early on in the hospital, they really want you to breastfeed
    ————————————————————————————————————-
    “They” want you to breastfeed??!! Breastmilk is what’s best for the baby and pretty much everyone knows that, regardless of what choice they make in their own circumstances. If she was that “determined” she could’ve tried pumping — something you can do for more than 3 months and doesn’t hurt a bit.

2. Dana

Okie dokie.

3. Gloria

Teeth don’t stop you from breastfeeding, bad latch can though. Kudos for toughing it out for three months, it’s not meant to hurt, and if it does then something isn’t right. But teeth aren’t a reason to stop. I nursed when my kids had all their teeth, it didn’t cause any problems. Sounds like some other latching problem caused the pain and nipple trauma, shouldn’t have been his teeth.

4. Tiffany

I hate it when people make you feel like a jerk for not being able to breastfeed. Some people can’t. Get over it. It doesn’t make you any less of a mother if you can’t. And it’s almost like you can’t admit it if you don’t do it because everyone is always so ready to pass judgment on you for being a failure. I think every mother wants to do what is the ultimate best for their child. Some people do not produce enough milk or have inverted nipples. The whirlwind of having a baby shouldn’t be ruined by people who think that you suck (har har) for not breastfeeding. It’s all personal choice, not a choice to be made FOR you.

• Zelda

I do judge people who don’t breastfeed and I’ll tell you why. Only 3 % of all women have an actual *no milk* physical problem (that’s statistics from the WHO!) Everything comes down to fixing the problem, making an effort, stimulating lactation and so on. There are many nursing consultants and midwives who can help with positions, latching methods and so on. And as a last resort there’s always the pump.
      I had inverted nipples ( also very sensitive nipple skin, that made them bleed!), it hurt as hell and my baby wanted to nurse almost all the time! I cried for two months, had a horrible postpartum depression because of breastfeeding, but I did go on until at the end of the second month things finally started running normally.
      So I do judge…I was there, I know how it is, but I also know you can fight it.

Really? And what do you do if you have two other little ones at home who also require some of your attention.. and not a crying, bleeding, depressed, sleep-deprived semi-parent?

Do they just get the shaft because you insist you have to breastfeed the new one?

• Zelda

My baby didn’t get sick for a whole year, not once! That was exactly the period I breastfed him for. I wasn’t that much of a lactivist back then as I am now, so when he decided to wean I let it happen naturally, thinking one year was more than enough for good immunity. Wrong! Immunity is there WHILE the baby is breastfed, it’s not something that’s accumulated for later. Guess what- second year he got sick many times and these were the really bad times-nothing in comparisson to the first two difficult months. So now I am a lactivist, because I saw how good breastfeeding is for a child.
          And I didn’t have any other children to neglect as you call it. Hopefully I will have some more one day and will be way more experienced in nursing, so that I can have time for everyone.

5. Dana

Where in this article does it say she couldn’t produce milk or had inverted nipples? She said the problem was that it was hard because her son had a tooth. As someone mentioned upthread she could have pumped but chose not to. But at least she is proud of it.

6. Mel in STL

It’s so incredibly sad that these women put themselves before their children. The first thing you learn as a parent should be that your kids needs come first. Gee, I can’t stand a little discomfort…instead of let me do what’s best for my baby’s health and immune system. I’m a mom of 5…I know all too well that breastfeeding isn’t easy. But you do it, because it’s what’s best for your CHILD.

7. Daniella

Wow, judgmental much? Personally, I don’t think it’s anybody’s business whether you’re breastfeeding or not, and I say this mostly because other mothers always seem to jump all over each other with judgments whenever the subject is brought up. I’ve known excellent moms who’ve breastfed & I’ve known excellent moms who haven’t breastfed; the same applies to crappy mothers as well. And I’ve personally never noticed much or any difference in their kids, especially as they got older & hit the teenage years.

8. Hope

I know women who couldn’t produce any breast milk, their nipples were to small and I also have a friend who’s baby is allergic to breast milk. It is sad that things like that happen and it’s not the mommy’s fault but formula is better than nothing when it comes to feeding your baby cause a baby needs to have something in their poor bodies until they can eat solid foods!

9. Brooke

Inverted nipples and allergies are no excuse not to Breastfeed! and it’s less than 3% of women that can physically not Breastfeed. It’s what’s best for your child and giving up after only a few months is terrible! Babies deserve the best and parents should always put 100% in. My daughter is allergic to dairy, eggs and soy so I cut those things out of my diet, plus I have inverted nipples and can only feed from one breast. My daughter has never had anything but breast milk and I will continue to Breastfeed until she doesn’t want to any more. I’m sad for all the babies out there who don’t get the best nutrition there is-their mothers milk.

10. Elaine

Come on guys, she obviously wanted to. It can be very stressful being a new mom, you don’t need to get all lactivist on every woman who doesnt breastfees. Maybe her reasons aren’t so solid sure, but that doesn’t make her a bad mother.

Why do you need to pejorative? Her son is beautiful and healthy, and did breastfeed at the beginning.

I was never breast fed. I didn’t latch. I was a very behaved and intelligent child regardless, and I don’t think whether or not I was breastfed has a single thing to do with it frankly.

Yeah yeah yeah, its better for them, but the formula does the job pretty darn well, even if its not the first choice. Quit raining on this woman’s parade and being judgemental, moms who don’t breastfeed are all around you and that doesn’t make them selfish or any less of a mom.

How about congratulating the loving mom on her beautiful baby instead of condemning her like a bunch of rude breast feeding fanatics….

12. SMH

Molly you are a terrible mother. Shame on you!! You should of never had a child. Did you think about him first or yourself?? I mean good gracious he deserves your breast milk. I feel bad for him when he is older and he looks back at you and says mom, “WTF you couldn’t even pump for me?” A tooth? Please that’s such a pathetic excuse. Brooks needed you and you let his one stubborn tooth get in the way. I will never look at you the same way again!! Excuses Excuses Excuses! *SMH*

Sorry just wanted to sound like some of the other lame people on here. It’s out of my system now! :)

13. Dana F

Team Molly! It is her baby, her body and her business. Period. It sickens me when perfect strangers call another woman a bad mother based on breastfeeding . Cut me a break. I never breast fed. My children are healthy adults and it was my choice and my business. Some of the folks here need to get a grip.

14. Jennifer

I don’t care who breastfeeds their child and who doesn’t. I like to focus on my own children.

You women are pathetic and so judgmental. I’m sure over half of you who have posted are stay at home moms and have nothing better to do than have a baby suck on your boob all day long. Good for you! Pat yourself on the back. Try working 40+ hours a week while breastfeeding and see how long you last!