Beyoncé: “My Daughter Introduced Me To Myself”

Beyonce's "Life Is But A Dream" Documentary on HBO

While promoting her HBO documentary, Life Is But a Dream, Beyoncé appeared on the February 16 episode of Oprah’s Next Chapter and opened up about family life with husband Jay-Z and their 13-month-old daughter Blue Ivy.

“It’s so much joy and I have my best friend,” the Grammy Award-winning singer gushed of motherhood. “She is hilarious and she is fire. Lord, am I going to have me a time! She’s very smart. She’s already reading flashcards. She’s beautiful.”

The R&B superstar went on to say that motherhood has been transformative.

“My daughter introduced me to myself,” she said. “My story did not feel complete and I didn’t know why, but after I gave birth I looked at my diaries and everything made sense.” She added, “There are so many connections in the film that I didn’t realize until I gave birth. Everything just completely connected and I said now I know who I am… I wasn’t complete before my daughter.”

The 17-time Grammy winner also opened up about the miscarriage she suffered before welcoming Blue Ivy.

“I felt like there are so many couples that go through that and it was a big part of my story,” she shared. “It was one of the hardest things I’ve been through. It was one of the reasons I did not reveal that I was pregnant the second time,” the songstress admitted. “You don’t know what’s going to happen. It was hard.”

On Friday, we caught another glimpse of Blue Ivy with her gorgeous mama from the HBO documentary.

Filed under: Beyonce,Blue Ivy Carter,Featured

Photo credit: HBO

1. Ano

She looks a lot like Beyonce when she was a baby. Beautiful girl.

2. Chloé

Jay-Z isn’t beautiful, and little girl is his copy. Maybe she is cute right now because is just a baby. But when his father’s factions start to come out…

3. Lynn in the South

I don’t quite understand the need of some *celebrities* to make every event in their life something so far beyond what other people experience. Jay-Z changed his entire philosophy about women/females after his flesh and blood lives in his girl child.

Why can’t she just say she is happy being a mother? Why does it have to be that she knows who she is now… she is complete now… why all the dang drama? Maybe since it is such a big thing, she should lip-sync it…lol

• Meghan

Maybe because that’s how she actually feels? I don’t see why you have to make a big deal about it. Lynn, maybe you should get up and sing in front of 800,000 people in the cold and have it sound perfect. Than you can judge her for doing what she did.

• LaKesha

If she just said she was happy there wouldn’t be enough there for an article. Celebrities say these over the board things because they keep getting pestered by journalists to share more and more.

• Dana

“Pestered by journalists?” Beyonce booked this interview on Oprah to promote her documentary… that she directed and produced herself. Hardly an example of being pestered by journalists… more like a major self promotion campaign.

This baby is not cute at all. I hate when people think that all children of celebrities are cute just because they’re children of celebrities.

• Sweetpea

Are you serious? Blue is beautiful! I don’t think she’s cute because her parents are famous. I think she’s cute either way.

• anonymous

I don’t think she is that cute either. She would have been a lot cuter if she looked like her mother. She obviously inherited her father’s nose and mouth. Not such a good thing.

5. Jessica

I like in that one little quote she had to say TWICE after I give birth. She really is trying to convince herself she actually birthed her child. I don’t think I have ever said that as much as she has and I actually did give birth! Beyonce it’s okay that you used a surrogate! There is no shame! Embrace the way your baby wa born, it doesn’t make you less of a mother!

• LaKesha

If it doesn’t matter why are you bringing attention to it?

• Jessica

OMG shut up

• Jessica

I brought it up because it’s annoying how she always says it. I haven’t seen the documentary, so I did not know they showed actual footage to her pregnant belly. Therefore I thought she had a surrogate like many others. So sorry for being misinformed. But either way it is annoying that she says that all the time. Even if she did give birth.

Oh and I did not post that OMG shut up comment. Someone posted that using my name. So LaKesha I did not tell you to shut up.

• gini

If you have seen her documentary you would have seen the footage with her bare pregnant belly. I guess because she didn’t show the world the baby actually coming out of her vagina, there will always be the disbelievers.

6. Eliz

I thought she used a surrogate also but after watching the HBO special, I think she did carry the baby… There’s lots of home video showing her bare belly and also in the hospital bed waiting to give birth (albeit getting her hair and make up done haha), so unless she’s a huge faker with a good editing tool, I think we can close the book on the surrogacy!

7. Joy

love you bey and jay but reading flashcards? um, why?

8. lulu

boy and Beyonce without makeup looks like a different person…baby is ok, but not so special looking, of course for her parents she is the most beautiful girl, but it is just normal

9. maegan

I cannot believe some of you.First you all moan, rage and complain about how Beyonce would never show her child’s face and now that she has so many of you have nothing kind to say! What horrible, shallow people you must be to be able to call a 13 month old baby ugly. YOU are the ugly ones.

And quite honestly what are you complaining about?? You wanted to see Blue Ivy? Well, here she is; a normal, beautiful, happy looking baby. If you’ve all nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all, especially in regards to children. Beyonce and Jay-Z can handle your nasty words and attitudes, they are used to it. But a child should not have to.

And to those of you calling her names and her baby ugly? Grow up. Get a life. Be kind to one another….

• Elektra

Maegan, thanks for your comment. Some people are so full of envy and jealousy that it is imposssible to see what is right before their eyes (ie, blind but cannot see).

I am so happy for Beyonce and proud of all that she has accomplished and realilzing that the most important things in life are beyond wealth (although it may indeed help to relieve some of the problems, lol) she seems to be most grateful for her baby, husband and family. Life is indeed but a dream. Press on Bey enjoy your blessings and be ever wonderful.

• Brandi

I totally agree with you Meagan! I don’t have to sit here and say how beautiful Blue is because there is proof in the pudding. But what bothers me is how everyone is calling Jay-Z ugly. Beauty is on the inside and Jay-Z has proven that he is a beautiful person just by the way he treats his wife and daughter. Who the heck cares about looks? You people have lost sight of the true beauty…that this man first married his wife and then had a baby. No one ever wins but I have no doubt that all of you women behind those computers are just as ugly on the outside as you are on the inside.

10. anonymous

beautiful baby

11. A

Why the documentary now?Does she feel she has something to prove? True i also thought there may have been a surrogate involved.There are no photos of her out and about and she did get that bangin’ body back pretty quickly but it’s hard to tell the world that you are vain because you don’t want to loose your “money maker”. We are very judgmental of you celebrities and when we get a glimps of your life and if its not what we expected we want to judge so…now…im stepping down off my judgement seat. The baby is beautiful Mom and DAD are equally beautiful. What matters is that the family continues to love one another and raise a healthy baby girl!!

12. Aww

Unfortunately for her Blue does not look like her mama – who still manages to be amazing without makeup

13. Faith

Blue is so beautiful :) I love seeing Beyonce holding Blue in her arms in loving embrace. I hope we will see more pics of Blue in the months to come with her Mother & Father, May God Bless Blue Ivy Carter with a very healthy, rich, loving, beautiful protected life :) And Her Parents Too!!!!!

14. andreia

I ALSO DIDN’T THINK SHE HAD THAT BABY BUT WHO KNOWS MY ONLY QUESTIONS IS ON THE OWN SHOW SHE SAID SHE HAD FOOTAGE FOR 3 YEARS AND SHE EDITED AFTER BLUE CAME HOW DO WE KNOW HER SHOWING THAT TUMMY WASNT FROM THE FIRST BABY SHE LOST? HOW DO WE KNOW ITS FROM BLUE? SHE SAID SHE PICKED OUT NAMES ALL HER FRIENDS AND FAMILY KNEW IM JUST SAYING MOST PEOPLE TELL THERE PREGO AFTER FIRST TREM. IT JUST SEEMS STRANGE TO ME THATS ALL BUT BLUE DOES LOOK LIKE JAY Z AND CALLING A BABY UGLY IS AWFUL GOD MADE US ALL AND WE ARE ALL SPECIAL IN OUR OWN WAY!!! BABIES ARE BLESSINGS NO MATTER WHO THEIR PARENTS ARE!! THAT LITTLE GIRL WILL HAVE THE BEST LIFE IM SURE AT LEAST MONEY WONT BE ONE OF HER 99 PROBLEMS!!! LOL

15. Pingback: Beyoncé: I'm Not Naturally Very Thin