Holly Madison Defends Her Daughter’s Name

Andrea's Grand Opening In Las Vegas

Celebrity parents are notorious for their wacky baby names.

And Holly Madison‘s decision to name her daughter Rainbow Aurora certainly had the internet abuzz. “There are a lot of smug haters out there who bag on my choice of a name, but I don’t care about what they think,” the new mom wrote on her blog.

“I want my daughter to be proud of who she is and learn to speak up and stand up for herself at a young age,” the former Playboy model added.

“I spent most of my life being a people-pleaser who worried about what other people thought or thought was cool and I don’t want that for her,” she continued.

She added: “I have always loved the name Rainbow. There was a girl in my school a few years younger than me named Rainbow and I was so envious of her name because it was so pretty and unusual. She was perfectly normal, well-adjusted, sporty girl, by the way, so I’m not worried about my daughter being ‘traumatized’ by having an unusual name.”

The blonde beauty, 33, and her beau Pasquale Rotella welcomed baby Rainbow on March 5.

“I couldn’t be more blessed to have such a perfect daughter and have never been happier than I am now,” she shared.

Filed under: Featured,Holly Madison

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. My birth name is Rainbow, and I thank my mother every day for having the courage to give me a different name. It’s an instant ice-breaker and I am never forgotten. Did I get teased as a child? A little bit. But I think it’s worse to be mixed up with three other little girls because you all have the same name.

Here’s my take:

• meghan

“Birth name” suggests you don’t go by Rainbow now. If that’s so, why? If it’s such a great name.

• SMH

I think she’s just saying that so people don’t think it was a nickname and that it’s her actual given name.

Rainbow isn’t so outrageous as other names but if my mom named me that I’d tell everyone to call me Rain :)

• em

She obviously goes by Rainbow. Her name is Rainbow Kirby. And I actually dont mind it, I just wouldnt name my baby that but if she wanted to thats fine. Its one of those mystical names that remind you of being a kid..rainbows bring back good memories for me so I can understand the path Holly took for that reason.

2. It’s still a stupid name.

3. Jennifer

It’s a silly name and if Holly didn’t want people to talk about her (Holly) then she shouldn’t have been Hef’s girlfriend…which is just GROSS. I don’t care how rich he is. Didn’t care for Holly before the baby and don’t care for her now.

4. kamila

Whatever anyone else’s opinion is, at the end of the day, it’s her child and her choice. Having a bad name never ruined anyone’s life.

5. Mary

It’s her daughter, she can name her whatever she wants. I think Rain is a pretty name, but Rainbow is her decision and who gives a rats ass what other people think!

Obviously she does, or she wouldn’t have felt the need to defend it. Name your baby whatever you want. Nobody owes anyone else an explanation.

• meghan

Holly apparently, because five days post-birth she feels the need to read her own press and defend herself because the whole world isn’t kissing her behind.

6. Ali

I like the name Rainbow. Very pretty.

7. Rae

She dose care because if she didn’t she would not have respond to what others had to say. Nor would she feel the need to defend her child’s name.

8. meghan

Stay off the internet and focus on your child. Stop worrying about how much attention you are getting, you narcissistic rhymes-with-squat. Your kid has bigger problems, with a mother who was part of a harem for a dirty old man and the fact that, soon, she only see her daddy on visiting day at the prison.

9. AvaElizabeth

what a silly name. poor little girl.. but didn’t expect something better from that mother..

I’d rather have a slightly different name like Rainbow and be unique more so than be one of the many thousands of Ava Elizabeths out there.

• Evie

That was uncalled for and I personally think the name Ava Elizabeth is very classy and ensures a little girl can grow into a respected adult.

• anonymous

Having the name Ava Elizabeth in no way ensures that a little girl can grow into a classy, respectable adult.
          On the flipside, having the name Rainbow Aurora is no guarantee that someone is going to end up being a classless floozy.

• christine

Hear, hear! Best comment on the thread.

• Evie

You are right, this obnoxious name is the last thing this innocent kid has to worry about. Have you looked at the person we are talking about? How she became famous? What she did to make a living? This kid has way more to worry about than an idiot name. You think the kids she will grow up with will not find her mom’s pictures or the shows she was in and acted like a moron? What all do you think this poor kid will be teased with, other than her name?

10. Actually @Kamilla, your comment about outragious names having “never ruined someone’s life” couldn’t be more wrong. There has been study after study about this very issue carried out and what has been found every time is that what our names are (no matter how common or unusual) DO affect who we are/grow up to become to some degree.Whether or not the word carries meaning for the parent(s) is irreleveant in the long run because it is the child who had to live with it.

Businesses, hospitals and universities have all taken part in said studies and the fact remains that when searching for say, a brain or heart surgeon, 99.9% of people aren’t going to select “Dr. Glitter Pixi-Dust” or promote-or even hire-someone at a high stakes law firm called “Pegasus Whisky Jones Esq”. So yes, parents pulling random words out of the air that they find “cute” or “entertaining” in the moment, can very well and more often than not DOES-negatively impact their children’s lives in major ways. I mean, Holly herself even admits that she at least partially chose the moniker because she WANTS her daughter to have to “speak up for herself at an early age” because she herself never did. There are plenty of much better ways to instil that in your kids other than intentionally naming them something you know will cause them problems. I mean, what type of sh*t it that??

Actually, if you know about Freakonomics, you’ll find that this ONLY applies to essentially low-income, ghetto type people.

Apple Martin, Pilot Inspector and Kal-El Cage aren’t going to face ANY of these issues because of who their parents are, the amount of money and influence they have.

People who name their kids Tenecia, Shanequessence, Da’Won, and S’yria are the ones with the problem because people who name their kids these types of things generally come from households without fathers, low-income, drug-issues, welfare, etc.

THAT is the problem, not directly the name.

11. Anabelle

I think considering she’s complaining about “smug haters” a day after revealing the name, she was probably waiting for one bad word so she could create press for herself and defend the name. I mean, why would you be sat in front on the Internet looking up what “haters” have to say instead of looking after your newborn baby girl? She named her child Rainbow Aurora (which isn’t even an overly out there name by today’as standards) for attention.

12. Evie

I am sorry, I really don’t want to offend any Rainbow’s present, but coming from a playboy bunny like Holly Madison, the name Rainbow Aurora sounds like she is already set up with a stage name to be a stripper…I also think that this kid has way more to worry about than her name. Namely that her mother had relations with a geriatric pervert, that there are more nude pictures of her out there than those where she is dressed and often in suggestive poses. She will be teased, her mom made money with sex and hopefully she will come out alright.

13. Felicity

Oh come on, there are far worse names out there than Rainbow. It’s actually quite an uplifting, happy name, and is not unheard of. If the parents love it that’s all that matters.

Bo is a really cute nickname for a girl. Rain is pretty but not as happy sounding.

Bo Rotella

I quite like it! Good luck to them I say!

14. Jesse

Rainbow sort of sounds like a stripper name. But that’s not shocking coming from Holly Madison the woman who shared an old billionaire or millionaire senior citizen as her boyfriend with a bunch of other desperate for money women.

15. Faye

My guess was she might have used her surname, Madison as the baby’s given name. Madison Rotella. I guess not!

16. Zombieee

People think this name is outrageous and weird? Shannyn Sossamon named her son Audio Science and Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspektor for crying out loud!

17. Amanda

Wanting your child to “stand up for herself at a young age” is one thing, but giving her a name that kids are going to make fun of her for is another. Kids are cruel & being named Rainbow is asking for your child to be bullied….not to mention nobody is ever going to take “Rainbow” seriously as an adult. People need to think before giving their child a name THEY will have to live with for the rest of their life, not you.

Moon Unit Zappa was taken pretty seriously for a while. Destry Spielberg will never have to worry about bullying or missing out on life because of her name. And Prince Michael Jackson II will never, ever be mocked to his face because of his name.

Celebrities do not live in the same world that we do, people. Their problems are NOT the same.

18. Tiffany

At the end of the day, it’s HER kid. HER choice.

A close minded judgmental mother is way more detrimental to a child. Keep pointing fingers and calling her out and judge her without having walked a day in her shoes. Your kid will be in a mall with an assault rifle plowing through people in no time. “I could never make my mom happy! Eat bullets strangers!”

19. Who cares what people think!! A name is name….

20. Anon

I love the name she gave her baby and i like holly madison too. i dont care what or who she did in the past. The past is the past and it should stay in the past.