Gwyneth Paltrow On The Benefits Of Eating Clean

1363697209_gwyneth-paltrow-article

Mom-of-two Gwyneth Paltrow covers the April issue of SELF and opens up about her new family cookbook, It’s All Good, with low-carb and gluten-free recipes. She says that clean eating has impacted her emotions and nearly 10-year marriage to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin.

On why she changed her diet: “A couple of years ago, I got really run down. I had to sing at awards shows, which was fun but stressful. I’d have a Guinness and a beta-blocker every time. I also was constantly getting on airplanes, trying to knock myself out with sleeping pills and wine, waking up, trying to sweat it out with exercise and a steam, and then working really hard all day. Eventually, I had a panic attack. My body was like, ‘What is happening?’”

On her new diet: “My doctor, Alejandro Junger, recommended that I cut out basically everything: dairy, sugar, gluten, anything processed. I was like, ‘What the f— am I going to eat now?’ That’s why I made the book: to stop eating brown rice out of the fridge because I didn’t know what else to eat—it was demoralizing.”

On how her new diet changed her emotions and relationships: “You feel lighter and your emotions get smoother. I also was run-down because I had a lot of unexpressed anger. I made everyone else’s feelings more important than my own. I’d suck it up and then be alone in my car yelling at traffic or fighting with hangers in my closet when they got stuck together. You’re not learning anything unless you’re having the difficult conversations. Dealing with things directly changed my relationships. Sometimes when you get clear about who you are, others get less comfortable because they liked who you were. It’s changed my marriage too, but he’s up for the challenge.”

On if she calls on her girlfriends for advice: “Always. ‘I have a guy coming for dinner. What should I make?’ or ‘My mother really upset me. How should I approach it?’ They know I’ve been through a lot of pain and suffering—some public, some private—and I keep going. Or maybe it’s just that I was the first one who could afford therapy.”

On how she describes her 30s: “They were happy. I came into my womanhood, had my kids. My 20s were a lot of work, and I had no big-picture sense of who I was, where I was going or the point of it all.”

For more from Gwyneth, go to SELF

Filed under: Gwyneth Paltrow

Photo credit: SELF

1. Jenn

That doesn’t even look like her.

2. Anonymous9

She’s a freaking basket case. Spends half her time worrying about food and the other half telling us how she’s got all her crap together, all so she can sell us something.

• Kay

Yeah, I find it ironic that she’s always preaching about eating well and then talks about all of her health and emotional issues. Maybe she just needs some ice cream. In a couple of years, she’s gonna be talking about another crisis she had when she went on this radical eating plan. Just shut up already!

3. Anabelle

I was indifferent to her before. After reading this I don’t like her. She comes across very pretentious.

4. sandra e.

It’s one thing for her to follow a very restrictive and extreme eating plan herself, but quite another to force it on to her children. Sure, keep junk food to a minimum and provide healthy, balanced meals but in her recent interview it seems like they are missing a lot of key nutrients.

5. missme?

hahaha, this is hysterical. this chick just can’t get it right, with all her higher-and-mighter-tha- thou crap she is putting out there, she’s just a make-pretend marriage, food issues, health issues and two ugly malnourished kids to top it off with.

6. elizabeth

Who is this person on the cover? Because the face is not Gwyneth Paltrow.

7. Tee

Gwyneth, we do NOT need your advise on how to look anorexic! The woman is a walking skeleton! Pity her kids, the probably have low-fat, gluten free ice-cream once a year.

8. kiersten alexandra (@kierstenalex)

I do love Gwyneth but I prefer to follow Tosca Reno’s Eat-Clean Diet series. Her advice and clean lifestyle is a lot less pretentious than when it comes from a Hollywood celebrity. Tosca Reno experienced obesity, a brutal marriage and sooo many hardships including the loss of her late husband. How does she cope? She eats cleaner, and trains harder than ever. At 53 she looks better than most twenty-something people I know. She truly is an inspiration and a fabulous role model for an everyday woman or man. I will probably pick up a copy of GP’s book but I will always be a diehard TR Eat-Clean fan.

9. I, too, follow Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Diet – and it changed my life. I was over 200 lbs, miserable and unhealthy – taking control of what I put in my mouth and exercising brought me to a healthy weight (down 80 lbs!!), and a fit body. I’m better today (year 5 of maintaining my weight loss) than ever before and credit my diet and lifestyle. As a nutritionist, I’m leery of any diet that leaves people hungry – particularly children. Eating Clean, I never go to bed hungry – I eat often, and well, and my husband & children do, too. To incorporate Clean Eating into your lifestyle isn’t expensive – it’s not a hollywood trend, and it won’t leave you hungry. I have looked at GP’s book, but I’ll stick to Tosca’s. It’s a truly fulfilling lifestyle that I wish more people knew about!

10. Tam

I agree Kiersten, love Tosca’s books! And her cookbooks are my favorite of all I own! I am curious about Gwyneth’s book as well! I would be unable to follow her restrictive diet, but she does look fabulous and cutting out sugar along can do wonders!!