Dax Shepard Blogs About Death Of His Father

tumblr_inline_mjzjjjdAFY1qz4rgp

Grab the tissue box!

Funnyman and father-to-be Dax Shepard wrote a touching blog post about the recent death of his father, who lost his battle to cancer at age 62 in late December. Among many memories relived through his writing—his father’s experience with AA and his love for food and flirting with women, their troubled relationship and bonding over his diagnosis—one recollection involved his expectant “wife” Kristen Bell.

The actor described the moment his dad met his unborn child.

“At one point, and unbeknownst to both of us, my wife walked into the room. She had flown in from LA without any warning. It was a surprise. It was an amazing, incredible, perfectly timed surprise,” he wrote.

“She lifted her shirt up and he put his hand on her swollen stomach. He left it there for the better part of an hour,” he continued. “He was smiling from ear to ear, sitting contently, unable to put together a sentence, but still capable of connecting to the new family member we were creating.”

He added: “He wasn’t going to make it to the birth, but that didn’t get in the way of him meeting the new baby. It was an emotional and triumphant moment. One I will never forget. If I live to be a thousand, I will still be in debt to my wife for giving him that one last thrill.”

Continue reading Dax’s candid blog

Filed under: Dax Shepard,Expecting,Featured

Photo credit: tumblr

1. Ray Ray

I just read the whole thing and it was simply beautiful, filled with such love for his father and regret that they didn’t get a chance to spend more time together.
    The pic just brought a tear to my eye :/

My deepest condolences.

2. jo

Yip, I reached for the tissues.

3. krissy

That was just beautiful…

4. E

I read this story on yahoo news yesterday and was extremely disappointed at the trolls who went off on the tangent that these two are not really married, and how they will be judged as immoral sinners. That’s not the point! They lost someone they cared about, and they are grieving, but were able to find some joy in that grief. Not everyone gets to do that.

5. denise

So sorry for the loss of your father. But it must give you some joy to know towards the end of his life a new life will be coming into the world. Treasure those memories. Dax’s beautiful blog was written.

6. lena

OMG thats so sweet, im tearing up :(

7. musiclover

What a beautiful, touching photo!

8. laura

I read all his entry and it is very touching and full of love. I’m happy that he decided to share it, because it’s a good life lesson to all of us.
    He told us that love is also about forgiveness, and overcoming the struggles of a lifetime to pay attention to what really matters. Love is also being able to show our weak side to our loved ones and at the same time being strong for them when they need us.
    Heartfelt thanks, Dax!

9. AvaElizabeth

omg, how heart-touching <3

So sorry for their loss..

10. Samyra

Folks need to get over the ‘legal’ marriage thing. They are spiritually bonded and could be doing better job at keeping their relationship solid than folks who are legally bonded. We all have opinions but we should remember that things from the outside looking in can be quite different

11. Thanks your for your comment,
    The baby name is the first gift that parents give to their newborn babies. It is of particular significance because this is the name that the baby is supposed to carry with him or her throughout a whole lifetime.

12. Death is inevitable and beautiful. Inevitable because we all know its coming one day, beautiful because in the face of death, everything turns to nothing. All the wealth the world can offer, all the beauty, nature can offer and everything we treasure so much just means nothing no more. Death is what makes life worth living for.

This article was so amazing, it just links life and death together with an amazing theme to it. I am sure, he died with a smile knowing that he was so close to being one with the new born. Am sure he’s in peace.

From the day we are born, we are slowly crawling closer to death and what you do in between these lines will matter the most to us.

I just reminds of the article I wrote for a local paper about death. :
    - Vasanth