Gwyneth Paltrow: My Kids Love Their “Coke Of The Week”

Gwyneth Paltrow looks like a very happy mom as she picks her children Moses and Apple up from school in Los Angeles

Healthy mama Gwyneth Paltrow is currently promoting her new cookbook, It’s All Good, which offers low-carb, gluten-free recipes. But while she tries to encourage clean eating on a daily basis, the mom-of-two admits that she lets her kids – daughter Apple, 8, and son Moses, 6 – cheat on occasion.

“I tried to start them off with all of the right foods, but as they got older, the lure of Oreos and cotton candy outweighed the lure of carrots with hummus. And that’s all a part of childhood and I love Oreos too, so I completely understand,” Gwyneth wrote Thursday in her Goop newsletter. “I try to make sure that what is on their plate at home is nutritious and tasty, and then I loosen way up on the reigns when we are out.”

She continued: “They love a brown rice stir-fry, but they also love their ‘Coke of the week’. My daughter gravitates toward fresh fruit and raw nuts but will inhale a bag of hot Cheetos at the airport. It’s all about balance.”

The Academy Award-winning actress — married to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin since 2003 — said she often cooks with her kids. “I always saw the kitchen as a place to acquire a vast practical knowledge,” she said. “My son, in particular, is extremely into it.”

“I’ve included my kids in the kitchen from almost the time they were born. They were always strapped to my back when I was cooking or nearby in a highchair watching and banging spoons,” she shared. “From very early on, I encouraged them to participate and let them do ‘dangerous’ tasks such as cracking an egg or stirring something carefully over heat, and they always felt proud. Later we started doing math with measuring cups and ounces.”

Describing herself as “an insanely busy working mother,” Gwyneth added that if someone in the family wants to eat something that’s on the “restricted food or allergy list,” she is “all about finding my way around an obstacle.”

Filed under: Gwyneth Paltrow

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

1. Anna

Vomit

2. Elle

She sounds like loads and loads of fun.

3. Daniella

I thought she said that her kids were allergic to all of those foods & that’s why they had to restrict them? How can you get around it if they are? I’m deathly allergic to seafood of all types & I’ll go into anaphylactic shock if I eat anything that touches it. There’s no getting around a truly restrictive allergy like that unless you’re not actually allergic to it.

I get where she is coming from (I remember getting one coke a week on fridays when I was little), and I believe feeding your kids well is one of the best things a parent can do for them. With that said I don’t think everything should revolve around food. I would worry that the constant reference to food would create a bad relationship to it. Clearly, you should teach your children the importance of eating well, but I think there should be a balance. I don’t know her personally, and actually like Gwyneth, it just sounds to me that she obsesses over food.

5. Lynn in the South

Who is interested in this narcissistic woman? She seems so desperate to get her name out there. I’ve asked many people and I’ve found no one who likes her. Even people who “love everyone” will say she is someone they would go to great measures to avoid.

6. Allison

Oh Gwynie. There you go again.

7. mrs. trumbell