Helena Christensen Defends Kim Kardashian’s Weight Gain

kim_helena

Celebrity moms unite!

In an open letter posted on Huffington Post, former Victoria’s Secret Angel Helena Christensen addresses the media’s obsession with Kim Kardashian‘s pregnancy weight gain, calling it “disgusting and despicable.”

“It is disgusting and despicable the way that certain media constantly harass the pregnant Kim Kardashian,” she writes. “It’s enough that they persistently project a negative focus on women’s physical shapes; but a public bullying and attacking of a pregnant woman because of her growing shape is just lower than low.”

“Whatever else the tabloid-media feel a sick need to spew out of their venomous bowels, let that be their lame choice. But there should be some moral compass,” Helena continues. “It doesn’t matter who the woman is or what she does. No one should ever be publicly judged for their body, but to attack an expecting mother is sacrilegious and just plain wrong. A pregnant woman should not be criticized for her shape, period!!”

Another person defending Kim’s pregnancy curves? Her boyfriend, rapper Kanye West.

“It’s just such an exciting thing, I think, for the guys to see our bodies go through all these different changes,” Kim said. “He loves it and just embraces it. And he’s helped me to really feel sexy and embrace it.”

And during a Thursday appearance on The Tonight Show, Kim addressed the ongoing criticism she’s receiving for her weight.

“I think it’s a little bully-ish to call a pregnant woman fat. I mean, what do you expect? I hope I gain weight. I’m a little heavy,” Kim said. “There’s just more to love right now. I have the rest of my life to be skinny and to lose weight and I’m not really worrying about it. If I have a craving I’ll go for it.”

Filed under: Helena Christensen,Kim Kardashian

Photo credit: Google/Instagram

1. courtney

Helena should keep her mouth shut she’s 5ft 10in so weight gain doesn’t show as much on her as it does on someone like Kim who is 5ft 2in and Helena has only had 1 child born when she was 31 years old

2. julaila

well said Helena… :)

• Louise

It’s nice that she adresses the media, but it’s kind of ironic that she’s a representative of the industry that idealises skinny women. She made millions by offering a glorifiation of the thin, glamorous model.

3. Tiffany

Personally I hate Kim K. Still though, it sucks that people are tearing her apart while she is pregnant. She’s a celeb, fair game of course, but wait until she squeezes that thing out and THEN call her fat when she doesn’t lose the weight fast enough.

I don’t understand the media obsession with her at all, pregnant or not pregnant. It really puzzles me.

• AJ

Huh? What makes it okay then, after she’s had the baby, to call her fat? Celebrity or not, how is someone else’s body our business? Honestly I would think it would be better for her to spend quality time bonding with her kid and family instead of trying be back to her “pre-baby” body in 6 weeks. I’m glad Helena said what she did, but it’s not just the media. It’s everyday people, too, and I wish that people would quit thinking they have the right to trash people for their bodies.

4. Lizzie

This comment isn’t exactly related but, I was just on another site and there are pics of Kim filming the reality show and she’s wearing tights (or skinny jeans) and a long shirt! Someone made that exact comment on the bedazzled post. Thought that was funny.

5. Me

I feel that Kim is asking for it! I’m pretty sure she enjoy the publicity she is getting, She must feel more famous. It’s good for the family’s ego.

6. annabella

Her weight gain is ok, when it comes to pregnancy, every woman is different, one gains way too much while the other has only the belly on her (which was my case). After I had my baby I lost it all and didn’t even look like I just had a baby and I ate whatever I wanted during my pregnancy. So the problem is not a weight gain (as long as it does not create some serious health problems), the problem with KK is her unfortunate style….she would look much better if she did not try so hard to be “fashionable” which she does not anyway in these tight/inappropriate outfits. That’s her problem.

• Zelda

I agree. I don’t think people critisize her for gaining weight. People critisize her alwful clothes, that make her look ridiculous. People critisize her for wearing tight clothes and high heels while pregnant-stuff that can actually cause problems bothe to her and the baby

7. Jessica

I honestly don’t think majority of people would make fun of her if she just wore more flattering clothes!! She’s wearing things that make her look 40xs bigger! Sure you’ll still have people who will criticize but most wouldn’t if she just got it through her thick head to stop wearing clothes that aren’t made for her body shape at this moment in time!

I don’t think the majority of people would make fun of her if she wasn’t so hated. But she brought this on herself….

9. Mary

I think it is horrible to pick on Kim because she is gaining weight. That is not right, she is pregnant and should embrace it and in good ole Kardasian style, use the weight gain for profit after the baby is born and lose the weight. I just wish she would dress as a pregnant woman and stop wearing such ugly dresses. She has style and is very pretty, dress for it and stop the bedazzled, peplum and pencil skirts!

If I made tens of millions of dollars a year for doing…… well, I don’t know exactly what she does….. you could call me any darn thing you want!

11. Christine

Since when does bullying equate to criticism?
    bul·ly·ing
    intimidation of weaker person: the process of intimidating or mistreating somebody weaker or in a more vulnerable situation

Sorry, totally does not apply to this situation. Now this is more like it.
    crit·i·cism
    act of criticizing: a spoken or written opinion or judgment of what is wrong or bad about somebody or something
    disapproval: spoken or written opinions that point out one or more faults of somebody or something
    assessment of creative work: considered judgment of or discussion about the qualities of something, especially a creative work

• AJ

Oh please. I’m no fan of Kim Kardashian but the comments that people make on posts of her on this site are absolutely vile and definitely not criticism. People need to quit hiding behind “free speech” and “it’s just criticism” BS and call it what it is, which is being a tool.

Bullying absolutely applies, because it applies to a situation where someone can’t defend themselves. This woman can’t defend herself against every random idiot (like 3/4 of the women on this website), so it’s definitely within the realm of bullying.

And even if it weren’t, it’s still mean, wrong and vicious. So why do it?

Helena Christensen is in the business of flaunting her stick-thin figure and thus perpetuates an unhealthy body image that so many now strive to achieve. She is the last person to be calling out anyone for their opinions when her job makes sure that anyone bigger than a size 6 is deemed “fat”.

13. espanola

Kim isn’t complaining, I think she is loving it ?

14. Me2

What does she care? Helena Christensen famously once said, when asked if normal girls would feel comfortable in her new clothing line, She said “I don’t care. I have no clue. I don’t think about anyone but me.”
    So, she should mind her own business. Maybe she said that just to get a little publicity for herself.

15. Devyn

Publicity seeking celebrities, Helena just needs some publicity, so, naturally she would pick this subject. Kim looks horrible in everything that she wears. It is not healthy for her or the baby to gain this weight. Pregnancy is not an opportunity for you to eat any and everything you want, which is obviously what this wretched woman is doing. Besides, she loves the publicity good or bad its what this piece of trash lives for. She looks like a big floating whale.

• LaKesha

What makes you think she is eating whatever she likes? We never see her with junk food, etc. What we do see is her working out multiple times a week.

16. Jessica V

I don’t think people are cpncerned about her weight gain and size, a lot of us ladies have gone through that with pregnancy ! It happens. The problem is her god awful style! For someone who claims to be a style icon, she looks horrid in ill fitting clothes! He sister had such great style with both of her pregnancies, maybe Kortney should give Kim a few pointers.

17. missme?

Biotch, please, wearing the “sexy” sausage casing outfits that KK does, she is begging for these comments.

18. Koolchicky

So I really don’t care for Kim at all but I don’t think her weight gain is bad I think she looks bigger because of her clothing choices which are not flattering or comfortable looking at all.

19. glynn

I am 9 months pregnant right now. I was 5’2 and 103 pounds now I am 50 pounds heavier. My body just started to hold weight. It is difficult to watch yourself change let alone have people constantly say things about it.People always will though especially if your in the pubic eye. I have to say I like seeing her gain weight it is comforting watching someone else going through the same thing and not some of these girls that gain like 15 pounds. Its real. 9 months go fast and woman’s bodies are made for this. Good for her not to just hide out like others do. Its real.

I also think if you haven’t had a pregnancy you really can’t say much because you don’t quite get what a woman goes through emotionally and physically.