Halle Berry: This Pregnancy Was “Biggest Surprise Of My Life”

Halle Berry Vacations In Hawaii With Olivier & Nahla

Oscar-winner Halle Berry and her fiancé, fellow actor Olivier Martinez, recently surprised fans with their pregnancy news. But no one was more shocked than Halle herself.

“I feel fantastic,” the actress, 46, tells CNN. ”This has been the biggest surprise of my life to tell you the truth,” she adds. “I thought I was kind of past the point where this could be a reality for me. So it’s been a big surprise and the most wonderful.”

But she’s keeping mum about the baby boy rumors.

“I don’t know, I don’t know,” she said when asked if it’s a boy, stressing that all she wanted was for the baby to be “healthy.”

Interviewed alongside Michael Kors, the two spoke on behalf of the U.N. World Food Programme.

“Especially now, being a pregnant woman and already having a child, that it’s so important: what happens to the baby while they’re in utero,” Halle explains.

She adds: “And the first 1,000 days is fundamental. Good nutrition during that time period is fundamental for your baby to develop properly and normally and to live a normal life.”

Filed under: Featured,Halle Berry

Photo credit: FameFlynet

Come on! Does she really expect us to believe this was the “biggest surprise of her life”??

2. anonymous

Why should she lie? She said it happened naturally and I believe her. If it didn’t, there is no shame in saying you had some help. People are weird in how they condemn someone for being pregnant or how they got that way instead of offering their congratulations.

There’s nothing wrong with saying you had help, but celebrities lie about these things all the time and it’s insulting to our intelligence. “I went to rehab for exhaustion!” “I’m straight even though I come on to male masseuses!’. Besides, the changes of getting pregnant naturally at 46 are very rare. But perhaps she is one of the rare cases.

• LaKesha

Rather she is lying or not, you have no right to know about any of her personal choices. She owes none of us an explanation.

• Louise

Of course she’s free to keep the details for herself, but she decides to share it with us. Then it’s not appropriate to tell lies.
          I don’t know if she lies, but I do think it’s rather suspect that all these celebrities have kids, often twins, over 45 ‘naturally’…

• Zelda

I don’t believe she concieved naturally. I don’t believe Brangelina, J Lo and Mariah Carrie twins happened natuarally either.
            This ‘twins in the family’ thing was always funny to me. Same for Beckhams’ 4th child being a girl.
            I don’t believe it and I don’t understand why they lie, because there’s nothing wrong with getting help to concieve, even to determine the gender.

3. Tracy

Even if she had some help, it might still come as a surprise. You might go through IVF with the knowledge you only have about 5% chance of succeeding. So in that case, even though you’re trying to conceive, a pregnancy might still be considered a huge surprise.

4. Me

I also found myself pregnant at 46. It was the biggest surprise of my life.
    It does happen.
    I wish her the best of luck!
    In my case, I suffered a miscarriage after 6 weeks. It wasn’t meant to be.

5. Sara

Regardless of if she used medical intervention or not, how is pregnancy ever a shock if you’re not using protection and still getting your period? So dumb when people say that.

• anonymous

I agree. I can understand that obvious surprise that always comes when you find out you’re pregnant but so many celebs seem to say that they’re just so shocked to find out that they’re expecting yet like you said, you can’t be too surprised if you’re still getting your period and having unprotected sex.

• Bec

How do you know she is still getting her period? From what I have read, women can still get pregnant up to two years after their last period (read about menopause and pregnancy.)

6. Madame Joy

I do have a friend who conceived naturally at the age of 45 and delivered a healthy baby boy. It is possible, and my OB/Gyn told me that many surprise pregnancies occur to women in their mid-to-late 40′s because they don’t expect it at all.

7. courtney

Sara you obviously failed biology or are an idiot women don’t usually lose their fertility until their early-mid 50′s unless it’s for medical reasons and the percentage of successful live birth pregnancies after age 45 is 1% besides that maybe Halle & Olivier were using protection and it broke she’s far from the first celeb to have a child in their late 40′s early 50′s Genna Davis had her twins at 48 & Dallas Star Linda Gray had her youngest child at 51 granted that baby was born 4 months early at bearly 3lbs and nearly died on a few ocassions. may Halle have a safe pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby

• Sara

Oh Courtney, coming from anyone else I may have been offended, or even read the entire paragraph, but since it’s you…it’s just comical.

• Kinky

Sara you are hilar!!!. I too love Courtney’s crazy rants, they are the reason I read certain stories because I know she will share some of her “words of wisdom”. I am particularly fond of when she talks about older stars and starlets to relate to the current ones. Some of my favorites are when she mentions Bogart and Hepburn in a story about about Lindsay Lohan. Do you Coutnery and continue to entertain us all….

Oh Courtney, how we miss you. Who can forget your detailed essay on Paul Newman’s children a while back. Glad to see you’re in top form.

8. Tanisha

Sara I agree with you. If you’re still getting your period and you’re having unprotected sex then yes DUH, you CAN become pregnant. Now, if she had her tubes tied and then got pregnant….then I can see her saying it was a surprise LOL

9. Bria

I am happy for her. I hope she has a happy and healthy baby. :) :)

10. anonymous

She is 46. That’s why it came as a surprise. She was likely having sex with Martinez for a couple of years with nothing happening. Cut the lady some slack.

Agreed anonymous. I became a first time mommy at the ripe ole age of >>45<<!!! Had been married for 9 years, tried 2 separate fertility treatments (not invitro….too expensive), for 2 years. NEVER, EVER used ANY birth control since wedding night, but still never conceived. Until one GREAT DAY when my period was late, then started and stopped for nearly a month. I thouht that it was early menopaus. IT WASN;T!!! My precious and gorgeous daughter, Burgundy Rose is now in her terrible 4's, and I couldn't be happier…… or tireder.

P.s. Just in case anyone's concerened, she has 6 female cousins in their 20's and early 30's who've ALL agreed to step in incase for some unforseen reason we're unable to care for her as we age.

• Meliss

You sound like you’re up for the challenge. The fact that you’re prepared for the unforeseen makes you smarter than lots of people of all ages who don’t plan for hiccups. It can happen to any of us. I’m 34 and had to make those arrangements. It’s just a smart thing to do. I thought I’d had kids at 23 like my mom. Glad I waited. I have a lot more to offer now, as I’m sure you do.

And fyi, 45 (now 49?) is a lot younger than it used to be. I’ve met a ton of 50-somethings who could outrun my ass.

Meliss, Thank You for your very kind words, I’ve taken them to heart. Yes I am 49 now, and we’re doing just fine. Everyone’s healthy, and as a stay at home mom and the wife of a VERY patient and tolerant hubby of 51, I have more than enough time, energy and will to do my best at raising an intelligent, compassionate, law abiding, hard working, fair minded, mild mannered, non-judgemental, tax paying, well adjusted, citizen of this world. Wish us luck. :-)

11. Annie

“And the first 1,000 days is fundamental” Ahahahaha! So she’s going to be pregnant for over 3 years? Good luck to her!

12. Mimi

A baby? Well, that will be yet another kiss of death for another of her relationships. Olivier better take notes from how Halle has handled things with Nalah’s dad!

How can you be so sure that HE isn’t the one who has caused the trouble? He has had anger management issues BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER Halle afterall. Don’t be so quick to judge. WE don’t know THEIR personal business. It could be her, him, or both of them. Which is more likely.

13. Michael

No, “Anonymous” (aka Halle) we DON’T know that he has had anger issues. We know that you’ve SAID that he has anger issues. Every man you’ve ever been with is an abuser according to you. You sure do have bad luck with men, don’t you? LOLOL

14. pam

All you people are nuts, she just need attention, if she had her period than there is no surprise, the woman is just plan crazy.

15. Joy

i like halle and she seems happy so congrats to her and olivier!

16. Tee

Courtney is probably in her 80′s; no surprise she likes to educate us on stars from the 50′s!