Gena Lee Nolin: “Fathers Set The Bar For Almost Everything In Life”

Screen shot 2013-06-11 at 5.00.15 PM

Mom-of-four Gena Lee Nolin is inviting Celebrity Baby Scoop readers along as she shares her life experiences – and asks for advice – as she juggles her busy life with husband Cale Hulse and their four children: Spencer, 16, Caia, 11, Hudson, 6, and Stella, 4.

With Father’s Day this weekend, Gena talks about the importance of fatherly love in her latest guest blog.  The former Baywatch star talks about the impact all “father figures” have on your unique story and upbringing, and she also reveals why her hubby, Cale, has “the natural gift of being a father.” Continue reading her words of wisdom, and share your thoughts, questions, and advice in the comments.
“Fathers are the first men to comfort us, give us unconditional love, and if you remember, they are our first loves. To me, fatherly love is important and essential for both sons and daughters; without that foundation, life can be even more of a struggle than it already is.

Growing up, I had a close friend who lost her father early in life. She rarely spoke of him, but I knew his absence left her feeling insecure. She always doubted her self-worth and showed negativity. Looking back on her situation, it actually makes complete sense now. Today I’m happy to report that my friend is an amazing woman, wife, and mother! Her wonderful stepfather raised and nurtured her in a healthy environment. Case in point, fathers don’t necessarily have to be your birth father; they can be any nurturing ‘father figure’ in your life. Everyone has a different story– some are happy-go-lucky and others are incredibly sad!–but a ‘father figure’ plays a vital role in all upbringings.

Fathers set the bar for almost everything in life and deserve much more than just one day of celebration. For girls, fathers usually affect the type of men she’ll date and ultimately marry. For boys, fathers usually affect their work ethic and most likely the way they treat their life partners. It’s truly astounding when you think of the impact fathers have on us and our future decisions.

Every day, I look at my husband Cale and think to about how lucky my children are to have him. He became a stepfather when we got married on September 3, 2004. At just 7-years-old, Spencer was just a half-pint and I always thought that they fell in love before we did. Cale’s daughters, Caia and Stella, have a father who truly cares about them and it’s so wonderful that the girls know they have such a man to support them.

Cale was truly given the natural gift of being a father. He’s firm, but fair. He’s also tough, yet soft and gentle when needed. It doesn’t come easy for some men; it could be a downright challenge and that can test the best of us. But our children, Spencer, Caia, Hudson, and Stella have been given the gifts of confidence, a strong foundation, and the freedom to be who they are. Cale often says, ‘I’m not their friend, I’m their father! We’ll be friends when they invite me over to their houses for barbecues with their own families!’ He’s has a great perspective and down-home truth to his fatherly duties. It’s no secret why he was Captain and Assistant Captain on the NHL teams he played for. He’s a leader and, as a result, he effortlessly leads our house. Together, we make a great team!

Daddy definitely came to the rescue for all of us! Stella had colic and, let me tell you, she’d scream for hours on end. It’s the most helpless feeling for a parent, and, thankfully, Cale would take her out of my arms and whisper sweet nothings in her ear. They’d sway through the house and within minutes she’d shockingly go from wailing to cooing. From that moment on, Cale was nicknamed ‘The Baby Whisperer.’ My daughter had been officially swept away by her first ‘Prince Charming,’ and I was there to witness it.

It all comes down to this: without the fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers, and other ‘father figures’ of the world, life just wouldn’t be the same! Cheers to those of you who make a difference in a child’s life! I stand up and applaud you all! Happy Father’s Day!”

Filed under: Celebrity Blogger,Exclusives,Featured,Gena Lee Nolin

Photo credit: Gena Lee Nolin

1. judy

my hubby will be so happy to get praising from you this father’s day! we’re huge fans of yours.

2. Tamara

Just saw this on FB! Aww, I love it & your beautiful family! Hope Cale has a wonderful Father’s Day! What a way to start it off with this blog! :) Love to ya’ll! Tamara

3. Heather

I needed to read this blog today! It’s a great reminder of what they mean to us. Thank you

4. anonymous

I had a horrible father figure! I married a man just like my father and divorced him. It’s important to have a good role model and I struggle to find that for my daughter. It was a good blog, made me cry cause it’s true! I need to find a good man.

5. anonymous

ps- does your husband know of any nice hockey players? he’s a hottie gena. you lucky!

6. Katie

I lost my father 7 years ago, this was really moving and actually hard to read. He was an amazing father to his kids and losing him was the hardest day of my life. When you read about things of such importance, it puts everything in perspective. I have a wonderful husband who has been a great father to our children. I’m blessed that my daddy got to see that first hand with our first born. Thank you for getting so deep, it’s not just regular surface blogs, it’s real!

7. Emma

I was in foster care until I was 9 yrs old and I was severely abused in that home until an older couple adopted me in 1988. That day, my life changed forever. It took years of therapy to deal with my past, but I’ve choose to move forward and live a healthy, thriving life. My adopted father loved me like his own and never once let me feel any different then the rest. When you spoke of your friend, that was me! I am now the mother of 3 children and happily married to a great man. My father passed away 2 years ago & I miss him dearly! @Katie I feel your pain, but we are lucky to have had men who guided us as long as we did.
    I loved reading this blog Gena lee and I thank you for your sincerity. Seems like Cale is a wonderful father, your family is just gorgeous in all the right ways.
    God Bless!

8. Dawn

I love you Gena! I’m on your thyroid sexy page daily. My family has thyroid disease and I can’t tell you how much you’ve helped us. Wish cale a happy Father’s Day from us!
    Dawn’s Daydreams!

9. Becky

Once again another great blog! Happy Father’s Day to all the daddy’s out there! Ya’ll deserve a wonderful Day!

10. Melissa

I feel bad for your childhood Emma. Glad things worked out for the best. Wishing the wild n crazy group of men in my world a Happy Father’s Day.

11. Grandad

Thanks for giving a nod to us grandfathers & the step-dads out there. Been a fan of yours since your price is right days Gena. The years have been good to you!

12. ellen

You are exactly what girls dream off! Okay, men too! So sexy and classy! #Dreamgirl

Happy Father’s Day & thank you for the blog. It really set the tone for a great week.

14. Isabelle

Gena, can’t wait to read more of your blogs. CBS, do you know when she’ll be back? Thank you

15. Ali

This is a very nice, and true, tribute to the importance of fathers. Or father figures as the case may be.

16. Pingback: Gena Lee Nolin's Blog: How To Keep Your Love Alive