Pink Defends Willow’s Motorcycle Ride

carey-hart-inline

Pop superstar Pink is lashing out against her critics who have problems with her parenting skills.

Over the weekend, her motocross racer husband, Carey Hart, took the couple’s 2-year-old daughter Willow out for a motorcycle ride — and some people had a major issue with it.

“Been waiting for this day for a very long time,” the proud papa captioned the above photo collage via Instagram. “Willz went for her 1st ride on my motorcycle around the pits today.”

“She was pumped the whole time. When we stopped, she gave me a big hug and said it was fun, thank you Papa. That’s my girl,” he continued.

While this seems like a fun father-daughter bonding experience, some people slammed the couple for not putting a helmut on the tot.

“If any of u have more experience on a bike than my husband, then I will listen to your opinions on how he should take my daughter for a ride,” Pink defended her husband via Twitter. “I can’t promise I will care, but I will listen none the less.”

The conversation soon turned into a blunt exchange between Pink and her followers.

“Wait until she’s 16 and let her decide for herself. Bikes are no joke!” wrote one follower, which later added, “Yeah ok. I’ve never met you but that’s great.” Another fan said, “Honestly.. I wouldn’t like the idea of a child so young being on a bike.” Pink replied, “Then I don’t recommend it for your child.”

Pink ended the conversation with: “M’kay I’m gonna go now. Gotta figure out what wills is wearing tomorrow for her MANIACAL MOTO MANIA!!!!!! Gotta pack veggies too! Organic!”

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Filed under: Carey Hart,Pink,Willow Hart

Photo credit: Instagram

1. mellisa

This is the same hoo-ha as when Tony Hawk was photographed with his daughter on a skateboard.

2. Cheritina

Have to agree with Pink on this one, I bet Carey barely crawled around the track with her on the bike, he loves his baby girl and wouldn’t do anything to hurt her. They are great parents in my opinion.

3. Marie

I agree with Pink. Carey would never do anything to harm their daughter, this is not too unusual, what is more common today are people who are holier than thou sitting on a computer critizing everyone else and the fact most parents today are too afraid to even let their precious ones walk out the door without a helmet on and ritalin in the system.

4. v-girl

I’m not opposed BUT where is a helmet??? I mean, accidents do happen even if you are trying to be extra careful. I would think a helmet is a must have just like a life jacket is a must have on a boat. Anyone else?

• christine

Agreed. I am sure that he drove extra carefully and that there was little chance that Willow would get injured… But why NOT just wear a helmet? I can’t think of many good reasons to go without one for a toddler.

• Isabel

I have to agree. I understand that Carey is incredibly experienced with motorcycles since it’s his job but accidents can happen to anyone. It’s stupid to suggest that having her wear a helmet is the equivalent of making her live life in a bubble. I don’t take the helicopter approach when it comes to my children but possible head trauma is not something I take lightly. It’d take a few extra seconds to strap on a helmet and she’d still have the same, joyful experience of riding with her father.

5. Li

Yes, that child should definitely be wearing a helmet!

6. Anna

To me, it seems obvious he is going pretty slow based on the 1st pic and how little the dirt is being kicked up. It’s not spraying or anything. I also don’t see a downside to putting a helmet on her, but it’s not my kid.

7. D

I saw Pinks Tantrum whoops I mean comments, on my twitter feed and had to go and check out the pictures. I was actually quite shocked to see a small child on a motorcycle with no helmet. I don’t think this is a case of people criticising her parenting skills its a safety issue, that child should be wearing a helmet! FACT! Its illegal not to be.
    It doesn’t matter how much you love your child that isn’t going to protect their head if they come off the bike.

8. Jen

I like Pink and I do think kids are way too sheltered nowadays (plastic playgrounds? Come on. We played on metal playgrounds and a couple bumps and scratches never hurt any kid), but I think she needs to understand some things: for one thing, Willow probably should have been wearing a helmet. No matter how experienced he is riding and no matter how any precautions he took, accidents can happen in a second. It takes what, a couple minutes to strap a helmet to a kid’s head? Hardly a big deal. And, she also needs to realize that if she posts these things online, people are gonna have opinions. Good AND bad. So either realize that and don’t read the comments if you’re gonna get offended, or read them and don’t get pissed off and take them for what they’re worth, or don’t post the pictures at all. Putting pics public means, you’re gonna get feedback…and it’s not always what you’re gonna want it to be!

9. SMH

I dont disagree about the helmet however l doubt he was going very fast or would ever put her in harms way. I grew up riding on the back of my dads Harley on highways….yes l had a helmet but truth is l still could of been seriously hurt anyways.
    They are good parents and willow seems happy. But l do think if a child must wear a helmet to ride a bicycle same rules should apply to a bigger bike :)

10. Annie

I agree with Pink of this one, but I wouldn’t post it on instragram. She’s asking for controversy! It also sets a bad example for other less experienced biker dads out there.

It doesn’t matter how slow he is going. If the child fell off, she’d likely have a head injury given how small she is and how far off the ground she would be. She could also be run over by the bike depending on how fast she fell and rather or not he had time to swerve. It’s really not safe and Pink knows that, which is why she’s so defensive.

12. Janet

I’m pretty sure a motorcross bike is different from a motorcycle so not sure if it’s the law to wear a helmet. But, most people put helmets on their kids for just about anything (myself included even though I never wore one for anything I did when I was a kid) so I can see why people are angry about that. The people that think she she shouldn’t be on that bike at all are crazy, he’s incredibly skilled and not going fast at all.

13. Sophia

I’m sure Carey was incredibly careful and wasn’t going fast, but I have to agree with the other commenters, if that child were mine she’d have a helmet on that precious head no matter how slow her dad was riding because accidents do happen, and I’m sure Pink would agree that there’s nothing more important than her baby’s wellbeing. But hey, not my kid so not my place. She’s kinda asking for it, though, if she or her husband are posting pictures like this on a public forum.