Tom Cruise: I Never “Abandoned” Suri

Tom Takes Suri To Chelsea Piers

Oblivion star Tom Cruise has just filed new documents in his $50 million lawsuit against Bauer publishing (In Touch and Life & Style magazines) regarding the company’s 2012 cover stories claiming that he “abandoned” his 7-year-old daughter, Suri, after his divorce from Katie Holmes in June 2012.

In a statement attained by TMZ, Tom says, “I have in no way cut Suri out of my life — whether physically, emotionally, financially, or otherwise.”

The Top Gun star — who is also dad to Conor and Isabella with ex-wife Nicole Kidman — goes on to say he is still “extremely close” with his youngest child.

“Even during the times when I was working overseas and was not able to see Suri in person, we were (and continue to be) extremely close,” he states.

While Tom has been busy since the high-profile divorce — he filmed both Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow — he’s still there for his youngest daughter.

“As my numerous emails with Suri’s mother during this time period demonstrate, I was a constant presence in Suri’s life,” he shares.

“While I’m sure my daughter misses me when I am not with her (as I miss her), she is a very happy child, and we have a wonderful relationship and cheerful phone calls,” he adds.

Filed under: Suri Cruise,Tom Cruise

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. HDP

Love or hate the guy (I’m personally not a fan) – that is a ridiculously hurtful and heartless (and clearly fabricated) story to put on the front of your magazine in order to sell copies. They should be ashamed, and I hope he gets a public apology.

A public apology for what? He admits himself that in 2012 he filmed two movies that kept him overseas for the better part of a year. During that time, he emailed his ex-wife and had “cheerful phone calls” with his daughter. I don’t know if “abandoned” would be the right word, but phone calls and emails do NOT a father make.

(And for those who would say that he had contractual obligation, I say BS. That child was 6-years old last year and he CHOSE to contractually obligated himself to be away from her FOR A YEAR! Ridiculous.)

• Jacquie109

Actually there are a lot of people who don’t call or Skype or email at all. Sometimes people have situations that take them away from their children. That does not make them bad parents.

Actually, it does. Tom Cruise is on record as saying he was away from her for 110 consecutive days last year, almost 4 months.

You can’t even BE a parent when you aren’t with your kid for 4 months. You certainly can’t be GOOD parent.

2. Jessica

Oh geez.. Suing a magazine?! It’s not like they said anything that is attacking Suri. He should know magazines are usually always lying with stories.
    Dumb to sue. Just make a statement that its false.

3. Gemi

Hmmmm….

This is the guy that made South Park not air an episode that said he was gay. I think when the truth start’s to ‘come out’. The claws come out as well. Just ignore it. When he makes such a big deal, it makes me think there is some truth to the story.

4. Deena

If he still has a relationship with Suri, why are they not photographed together? I don’t think it’s been one photo of these two together this year….?

5. SMH

I don’t know how many of you would feel about false stories being told about you. How would you feel? I wouldn’t go as far as to sue (unless it absolutely demoralized my public appearance or potentially risked my career) but Tom has a right to set the record straight about his relationship with Suri.
    I am sure he is still a part of her life. But perhaps because of his religious beliefs Katie has made it a bit more difficult in letting him spend time with her as often as maybe he would like.

6. SiervaMaria

Won’t go into details but I know chains like Walgreens have ceased doing business with Bauer and the suspicion is that this lawsuit has merit and may be the final nail. and to continue carrying L&S, InTouch etc might lose them money if the credits arent’ honored.

7. Albus

I think he has the right to sue. In a way tabloids need to learn not to mess up and talk crap just to sell. True or not it’s NOT our business what relation he has with his daughter. We don’t see them together? So what? So now the paparazzi pics are gonna tell us what’s really going on in the private lives of these people?

In other news posts some people complain about paparazzi following celebs with kids, and here someone wonders if he really sees his daughter just because we don’t see them together in pics.

There are celebrities that we almost never see pics of them with their kids. Does that mean they don’t see them either?

8. mimo

He is a narcissist, he doesn’t need to make 2 films a year. How can he say he is physically with his daughter or emotionally involved when he doesn’t see her in months and the only communication is by email or phone calls?

9. Jeni

Karma, When Tom had control of Bella and Connor, Nicole only got phone calls. Now katie is doing the same thing to Tom that he did to Nicole. Tom always made sure a lot of paparazzi photos were taken with Suri to make people would think he was father of the year. There hasnt been one photo of him with Suri in over a year. That alone says a lot!

10. anonymous

Either way, Katie definitely looks healthier and happier now that she and Tom are not together! I’m sure Suri is benefiting from a happier mother.

11. Anon

I don’t like what I know of Tom Cruise as a person, but to say he abandoned his child because he didn’t see her for 4 months is going too far. She has a mother who is more than capable of taking care of her, and for all we know this was a happily agreed upon arrangement between all involved parties. And if it wasn’t, that’s for them to work out. If this is abandonment, then my father “abandoned” us, too, and yet I still managed to foster a perfectly wonderful relationship with him.

12. Chewbacca

There’s actually one point during the trial where he admits to cancelling a visit with Suri in favor of attending a Scientology event that he wasn’t the speaker at and could have easily missed. He may not have totally abandoned his child, but he doesn’t seem to understand that she should ALWAYS come first.