Kate Hudson: “I Can’t Afford” Red Carpet Gowns

28ea11297ec969ac435c84bf414016c821fd7853

Mom-of-two Kate Hudson covers the December/January best-dressed issue of Harper’s Bazaar and opens up about red carpet style, and family life with fiancé Matt Bellamy and her two sons Ryder, 9, and Bing, 2.

On her red carpet style: “People think we own all these dresses, but we borrow them! I can’t afford to buy that stuff. There are certain things I splurge on, but it’s very rare, especially when you have two kids and school tuition.”

On buying designer clothes: “I’m not a big high-end fashion shopper. I wish I could, but the truth is, things are just so expensive. Before [designer] Isabel Marant was a million dollars and famous, I used to go to her store in Paris and go crazy, it was so affordable.”

On lessons from her mom Goldie Hawn: “My mom wasn’t a big shopper for us. I think [she] wanted to instill that in us even though we grew up in a really privileged and lucky lifestyle.”

On working out regularly: “It really is a vital part of my day in terms of energy. And I mean just by putting a sports bra on. Then maybe you’ll do something! Even if it’s a few squats in the backyard and back to the couch.”

For more from Kate, go to Harper’s Bazaar

Filed under: Kate Hudson

Photo credit: Harper’s BAZAAR

1. Jen

Give me a break. She has a net worth of $38 million dollars.

2. A

Poor little thing.

3. Jessica

Lol first tori spelling and now Kate Hudson saying they can’t afford this or that. Please. What is the point saying this? Everyone knows its a lie.

4. D

Well maybe she prioritises her money, on schools and a house for her kids. I like the fact that she thinks these clothes are too expensive. They are, designer stuff is totally ridiculous!

5. Heather

It’s funny how so many people take this as she’s complaining she is poor, or almost poor. You make a movie and promote it at what, 20-30 different premiere locations at least? Of course she’s not gonna shell out for that many dresses that can cost thousands and thousands of dollars each, some upwards of 10 or 20k. Does she have thousands and thousands of dollars? Yeah. But she wouldn’t if she spent that kinda money on the daily and that’s all she’s saying. Jeez people.

They don’t do 20-30 different premiere locations 3 or 4 at the most and that’s only if the are the star of the movie. Red carpets are not a daily events, other times they are giving magazines, interviews and press conference. and Kate films movies once a year or two years.

6. lola

Instead she get paid for wearing this garments plus free publicity, it’s all part of the business. This rich talking like that are just greedy who she thinks is fooling? she is far far from normal wealth and yet she is trying to look like she is one of us when she lives in a bubble of wealth, I wonder how many houses she possesses.

7. anonymous

I commented right after this article was posted and my comment has yet to appear. It was not offensive and while not full of compliments and praise, it was pretty tame in comparison to the others. Very strange indeed.

8. Anyoneamy

oh shut up kate! what a stupid comment! poor little rich girl!

9. Emilie

Maybe it was taken out of context…. maybe?? you never know. Either that or she is trying to appeal to the every woman in order to promote her discount priced fitness wear line Fabletics.

She is ridiculously wealthy (like Russian Oligarch wealthy) with both her family and Matt Bellamy’s excessive wealth to depend on, as well as her own vast income from movies, sponsorships, promotions (Fabletics, Chrome Hearts, Almay). She owns two mansions in the Pacific Palisades and a house mansion in London with Matt. He owns the Devon farm and a mansion in Lake Como, as well as a place in LA.
    Her family own about 15 properties, all over the world. Including in New York, Canada, LA (Pacific Palisades, Malibu and Palm Springs).

Bottom line… She CAN afford pretty much anything in the world she would ever want. She must know people know this – she has a very public life… So she must have been taken out of context, or intended her comment in a way that it didn’t come out.