Gwyneth Paltrow Makes Her Kids Speak Only In Spanish

Gwyneth Paltrow At Printemps Christmas Decorations Inauguration In Paris

From our friends over at Mommyish!

Gwyneth Paltrow makes her kids Apple, 9, and Moses, 7,  speak only in Spanish when they’re out in public, at random weddings and such. For example, they were recently at a wedding at Cameron Diaz‘s house when she was overheard telling them to speak “en Español, por favor.” At one point, Apple also came to her table and asked, in Spanish, if she could sit on her lap.

Many people think that kids need to learn another language early, because they are sponges for information and it will help their brain expand, making them more culturally-adept. But does Gwyneth really need to make her elementary schoolers speak in Spanish when they’re out at public events? Visit Mommyish to read more.

Filed under: Apple Martin,Gwyneth Paltrow,Moses Martin,Partners

1. musiclover

I try not to be judgmental but if Gwyneth actually makes them speak only Spanish when they are in public, I find that bit pretentious.

2. Tazla

That is wonderful to have bilingual children. She’s taught them well if they’re comfortable speaking in Spanish. I sent my son to French Immersion school and it’s been a tremendous asset to him in his career.

Tha’s a little bit too much but as everyone knows her elevator doesn’t go all the way to the top.

4. SMH

I think its great kids speak other languages. I am actually jealous l cant. What l find annoying is parents who dont let their kids just be kids and enjoy themselves at events without worrying what language they have to speak!

5. Heather

My young son is in a spanish immersion program, but yeah, I wouldn’t tell him to speak only spanish at a friend’s wedding!

I love how Goop manages to name drop celebriies no matter the situation.

7. mell

maybe its just a way of shielding them against the paparazzis,fans,….

I think it is great they are learning to speak multiply languages. however I think you should speak the language of the country you are in when out in public.

9. SiervaMaria

It bugs me more that so many have decided this MUST be true because it was in UsWeekly?! This is were II am on this; If you believe this without something more valid to back it up than sa tabloid telling you so then I have no choice but to believe a negative opinion of her was present prior and it wouldn’t matter if the story came from! I’m not a fan or a hater but I do find all this taken stuff as gospel based on some gossip rag a bit telling..

10. Anon

I understand and support teaching your kids a second language and agree that practice and conversation are the best ways to become fluent. I can also understand doing so in public, such as being at the grocery store, the zoo, running errands, etc. as this is a great opportunity and setting for expanding your vocabulary. But at a wedding or any other intimate event such as a birthday party? No. I find that rude and pretentious to unnecessarily make your kids speak their foreign second language in front of everyone, where no one can understand them. If they were in Spain or any other Spanish-speaking country, or even sitting with Spanish-speaking people, I would have understood. It just seems so unnecessary to me, especially since this is obviously not the kids’ first language that they are comfortable talking in, as they had to be reminded. I doubt that one wedding in English would have harmed their Spanish proficiency at all, and I am saying this out of personal experience, so I’m not sure why Gwyneth would do that other than to show off.

I was bilingual from birth and added a third language when I was enrolled in a French immersion school. We were encouraged to speak in French outside of school and my parents made every effort to support me with that and encouraged me to talk to them in French whenever possible. But when we had guests over or attended an event like a wedding or non-school birthday party, my parents always (discretely!) reminded me to speak in English, as it is rude to unnecessarily speak a foreign language (foreign here meaning foreign and non-native to you, it’s perfectly fine to speak your own native language) in front of everyone when they can’t understand.

You know what I find rude and pretentious? People who judge and criticize other people’s parenting choices (ESPECIALLY when they’re judging someone for something written in a tabloid magazine).

11. Ashleyr

I would definitely agree with the poster who pointed out the likelihood of there being some inaccuracies here. While it says that she “makes” them speak Spanish in public, the source of this is that someone once overheard this at a wedding? Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

12. Anon

It’s great she’s raising them bilingual and whatnot but that is very extreme to have them speak in Spanish in public, considering they are in the United States of America–and English-speaking country!