The holidays are finally here! The perfect time to enjoy a plethora of fun, family friendly activities that will surely bring the family together. If you’re stumped for ideas, Prince Lionheart owners and brother-sister duo Michael and Kelly McConnell have developed a list of all the merry ways mom, dad and the kiddos can enjoy the holiday season together.
Pictured above: Ian Ziering, his wife and two daughters, enjoying some family time.
- Nighttime drives/walks through the holiday lights. Whether it’s simply driving through your neighborhood or visiting a spectacular display, viewing the holiday lights is a memory every child remembers and loves.
- Bake holiday treats together. Plan an afternoon, get over the mess, turn on some holiday music and have some fun. When you’re done- deliver the treats to friends, neighbors, family or nursing homes.
- Have a mother/daughter cookie exchange. Encourage folks to dress up and come on over to share their baked goods. It’s a great time for the little ones to play and the moms to have some grown up time.
- Build a Gingerbread House. Either make it from scratch or buy the pre-packaged box. The fun is all the same. Plus, when you’re done you’ll have something beautiful to display on your table or mantle.
- Write letters to Santa. Help your kids create the letters. If they can’t write, encourage pictures.
- Pick out a Christmas tree. Make it a tradition, instead of going to the mall, the Friday after Thanksgiving, make the trek to a Christmas tree farm. It might be cold, but you’ll definitely have fun! Every year, stop at the same diner for lunch, sing Christmas carols in the car, and get excited for the holidays.
- Do a gift exchange within the family of homemade gifts. Draw names so each person is only giving one gift, and then make sure it comes from the heart. This is a great way to introduce the joy of giving to your children, plus keeps it on a family friendly budget.
- Go Christmas caroling. This is the one time of year people don’t care if you’re good or bad, they just love to see you. Gather some friends and some hot chocolate and go make someone’s night a little more merry.
- Holiday music festivals –Find free holiday concerts at schools, churches, synagogues and community centers. The best are the ones that your kids can sing along and play music in.
- Decorate the house. Don’t be afraid to let your kids help you decorate the house and tree for the holidays.
- Go to a holiday parade – Another great tradition to start as a baby and continue into their teens.
- Visit Santa – The first couple of visits your kids may be scared, but you’ll be amazed as you watch them get more comfortable each year.
- Read holiday books together – pick your favorite holiday classics and find them in a child’s or baby version. When you start young, they are sure to become your child’s favorites as well. As your kids get old enough, have them read to you or siblings as well. Keep a stack of holiday books on the coffee table for anytime reading.
- Sing holiday songs together – Switch out the ABC’s for Christmas Carols or Hanukkah classics.
- Watch holiday movies/shows – If there is ever a time to indulge in movies, its during the holidays. Classics like Rudolph, Frosty and Home Alone are sure to become family favorites.
- Start an ornament collection – pick out an ornament that reminds you of your baby (Baby’s first Christmas… ) and continue the tradition every year. Eventually they will become sports or activities and trips. Then, when your child has his/her own tree, you can pass the box of ornaments on to them.
- Volunteer as a family. Ring the Salvation Army Bell, go to Feed My Starving Children, pack boxes for Operation Christmas Child or serve food at a shelter. These experiences will broaden your children’s minds and hearts as well as bring way more meaning to the holiday season.
When it comes to bringing joy to children at the holiday time, no one does it better than Prince Lionheart with handcrafted, quality toys designed with modern simplicity that will last for generations. Commit to quality toys that are better for the environment and will last a lifetime. This holiday season, engage your little one with gifts that will be sure to draw a big smile Christmas morning. Check out the innovative ride on toys like wheelyBUGS, and the just introduced yoMOTO bike. Other favorites include the whirl balance SCOOTER, balance BIKES, and the creative playMAT PLUS.
Brother-sister duo Michael and Kelly McConnell are second generation owners and operators of Prince Lionheart. The brand is well known for its modern design and quality products for over 40 years, including innovative nursery, home, travel, bathing, and feeding essentials that make life easier for parents, as well as stylish and FUNctional toys for toddlers. All Prince Lionheart products are guaranteed to be of the utmost utility, quality, and reliability, and, with their sleek, modern designs, they are sure to add a touch of sophisticated style to any household. For more info on Prince Lionheart, visit their website, like them on Facebook, and follow them on Twitter and Pinterest.View Slideshow »»