Hilary Duff & Mike Comrie Split

Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie enjoy a Family Sunday

In the one of the most shocking headlines of the new year, Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie have split.

The singer-actress, 26, and her former hockey-pro husband, 33, “have mutually decided [upon] an amicable separation,” Duff’s rep tells PEOPLE.

“They remain best friends and will continue to be in each other’s lives,” the rep adds. “They are dedicated to loving and parenting their amazing son, and ask for privacy at this time.”

A source close to the Disney darling – who wed Comrie in August 2010 – says the young couple drifted apart.

“There was no major incident – no big event between the two of them,” the insider says. “They really did drift apart. They have put effort and thought into this decision for a long time. They tried couples therapy, but in the end, they realized at this time, they work better as friends. And they really are great friends.”

As for their 21-month-old son Luca, “They’re still going to go to the park together,” adds the source of their co-parenting plans.

The separation was not “a rash decision,” the insider adds. “It’s something [Hilary] thought through. She really does care about him and he really does care about her.”

In 2009, Hilary gushed about her man: “I’ve never met anyone who can say a bad word about him,” she said. “He’s generous, caring and sunny. We just laugh our heads off.”

“He’s an amazing father,” she added. “He’s so patient and loving and involved. He’s all the things that I knew that he would be.”

Filed under: Hilary Duff,Mike Comrie

Photo credit: AKM-GSI

1. klutzy_girl

I am legitimately surprised by this.

2. Ali-Spain

So sad :( Hilary is too young to be divorced, i tought they were meant to be

I’m so not surprised; it was just a matter of time.I said this from day one that his marriage would never last. Maybe because he’s a lazy washed up ex hockey player and she was tired of him doing nothing all the time. Feel sorry for the baby. Another one that will not grow up with a father in the house.

• Amy

You say he’s washed up, so then why are so you concerned about his life? I always see you on Hilary posts bringing his career up. Why waste your time?

• anonymous

Washed Up? He reached the pinnacle of his sport, made more money than most will in a lifetime and then wisely retired rather than suffer further injury. I think it is sad that it didn’t work out for them as they were quite a cute couple and maybe they married too young but why are you being so mean?

4. Julia

Wow, I wasnt expecting this at all ! :|

5. your mom

Don’t get married at 22.

6. P!nk

I’m not surprised either.

7. Keiley

I gotta agree with ‘your mom’. I got married at 22 and just last month separated from my husband at 27yo. My sister also married at 22, divorced at 29!! Luckily no baby involved in my split. What’s the hurry!

8. Lizzie

Wow, I am really surprsied and kind of sad.

9. So sad . They should have tried to work things out.

10. Tori

Why do these Hollywood people even bother getting married.

11. laura

Well, this is the natural consequence of getting married and having a baby usuallyway too young. There’s nothing else to say, it’s totally normal that at this age you change your mind, simply because EVERYTHING is still changing when you’re in your twenties.
    Maybe if you keep dating and don’t put pressure on it, when you’re older, at, like; 28-29, you understand that this is the right person indeed, but getting married and having a baby too soon influences too many life choices that when you’re so young are supposed to be free.

• Juli

I agree with you.
      A lot changes in your life when you are in your 20s. You are not “fully grown up”, so to speak. I noticed myself that I changed dramatically from 20 to 25.

It is normal that you drift apart in this age when you got together too young. Of course sometimes it works and high school sweethearts are happy forever, but I believe that this is an exception. Lots of people split with their (long-term) partners in their late 20s.

Thus, one should better wait. It’s of course not clear to you when you are young and in love :)
      It’s sad that they split, but I somehow saw it coming.

12. Jennifer

I think the real issue has less to do with being young and more to do with this unfortunate idea that marriage is disposable and temporary.

13. Kn

Most of you are very mean. 22 is not too young to get married. Perhaps the issues they have are far more serious than when they got married. Not everyone needs to wait until 30 or 40 to get married. Hillary and her husband were in love and married when they had their son. It’s sad that it didn’t work out.

I hope that those who commented negatively or mean will not ever experience the same awful treatment in their lives. Hopefully they will learn to be less closed-minded.

• laura

My parents got married at 23 and 26 and it worked out, but a generation ago everything was different: they both already had good jobs and were settled, they knew who they were, everything was easier, they were ready.
      Nowadays people often study longer, have the possibility to travel and to know a lot more people and realities that could change them before they finally become “adults”. Very rarely nowadays people are satisfied with their jobs at 20-25 year old, and getting married and having kids before figuring out who you are and what you want often just ruins both your career and family life.
      Of course there are exceptions- and good for them!- but for like 90% of the people it’s like this.

• well I guess Hil and her HUbby had “good jobs” and money, too…

• laura

You’re not wrong, but the fact that Hilary should and would have liked to work more on her career is proven by the non existence of the career itself since she got married.
          She keeps saying that she’s working on her music, but she’s been “working” on it for quite a while now and nothing comes out. She’s obviously not happy about it.
          If in the past 4 years she had worked more perhaps now she would have been happier and more satisfied. And maybe, who knows, they would have gotten married and it would have worked.

14. Haley

I am sad to hear this. I always hear of young people getting married and it never working out. My parents were married at 20 and have been together 30 years. Guess I should consider myself pretty lucky, then again Hollywood marriages are probably different.

15. Anne

I got married at 20. 5 years and 2 kids later, still very happy with my choice. ;-) So I don’t think 22 is too young.
    What a shame that they decided to split up!

16. Hannah.J

I dont think age has anything to do with it, they probably just grew apart which is sad for all involved.

• juli

How can you grow apart when you live together and have all the money and possibilities in the world to conduct your life exactly the way you want?

Simples.
      They were too young when they got together and “growing up” (figuring out who they are, what they want, what they don’t want, etc.) was what made them grow apart.